BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 BMW 323i sedan 2.5L
204000KM

Hello there, today it was -20*c (-4* F) so I started her up in the morning and went back inside, (their was no previous issues other than a small coolant leak). after 10 min or so i went to the car to head out and when i put it in drive their was no movement, (i amused it was a transmission issue) when then i step out and under the car was a huge puddle of red oil (Trans oil right?) and two smaller puddles under the front bumper (i think it was coolant) so the car eventually started to move like normal like nothing ever happen, afterwards i checked the engine oil and trans oil and they where perfectly fine. coolant was low. if anyone has any suggestions as to what i could be or what i should do that would be great, thanks!

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
2000 BMW 323i sedan 2.5L
204000KM

Hello there, today it was -20*c (-4* F) so I started her up in the morning and went back inside, (their was no previous issues other than a small coolant leak). after 10 min or so i went to the car to head out and when i put it in drive their was no movement, (i amused it was a transmission issue) when then i step out and under the car was a huge puddle of red oil (Trans oil right?) and two smaller puddles under the front bumper (i think it was coolant) so the car eventually started to move like normal like nothing ever happen, afterwards i checked the engine oil and trans oil and they where perfectly fine. coolant was low. if anyone has any suggestions as to what i could be or what i should do that would be great, thanks!
Couple things, letting a BMW idle to warm up in the morning is frowned upon. Even BMW recommends you get in and DRIVE it.

I am curious how you checked the trans fluid, the E46 has no dipstick for the trans. The only thing you can access topside that has ATF in it is the P/S fluid reservoir because the power steering system on these cars uses trans fluid.

It would be odd for the car to leak a little trans oil and then stop. I would look at the power steering hoses first, sometimes they can come loose or get cracked and leak.

Other than that you need to get under it and check for leaks at the trans bell housing and pan area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.