BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all.
im a new member of this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. i was driving my 325 es home the other day its a 1986 with 150,000 miles on it and im the third owner. it just stalled at a light and now will not run? it starts then stalls right away. ive jumped the relay for the external pump and the pump runs but car does not?im going to check fuel pressure next but before i start taking things apart i thought i would ask if anyone has had this same problem. thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i could sure use some insight on this one. i replaced the fuel pump relay and the car started ran for a day then would not start again. i checked power to the fuel pump and its not there. when i jump the power supply to the pump from the relay i hear the pump running i tried to start it with the jumper and would not start. if i let it sit a while she will start but then stall? what are the other circuits to check before the relay? and does anyone have the listings for the fues and relays in the fuse box? i need them baddly i did not get a owners manuel with this car. please any help would be gratly appriecated. :thumbup: also the fuel pump is new and will pump when powered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im getting closer. i took all the fuses out and cleaned them. and also the fusable link in the trunk just after the battery. and she started and was running good. now i have the oil sensor light on so i will replace that today and see if that helps the slight studdering on exceleration. anyother ideas would sure be appreicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1986 325ES BMW Engine Shuts Off

MrMarks....I just had the same problem with my 1986 325ES BMW. The car starts without any problem. I was driving along and as I approached a traffic light I began braking and the car engine shut off. I was able to start it again and did not have a problem as long as I was accelerating. The car then shut off 3 more times as I came to a stop. I haven't taken my car to the mechanic, but I read someone else who had the problem said it was either the CAM Sensor or power relays. Please let me know how you rectify the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I Had A Similar Problem About A Year Ago. I Have An 85 325e, Which Would Have The Same Motor. I Pulled Up To My Friends House And Shut Off The Car. The Car Seemed To Had Been Acting A Bit Odd Under Accelaration Earlier During The Day, But Nothing To Really Worry About. Any How, I Was Getting Ready To Leave, I Tried To Start The Car, And No Luck. It Sounded Like The Starter Was Doing Its Job And I Could Hear The Motor Trying To Turn Over, But It Wouldn't Turn On. I Had To Get The Car Towed Home. It Turned Out That The Air Mass Sensor Was Out Of Balance. Well At Least Thats What The Mechanic Said. I Had Exchanged The Air Filter For One Of Those Aftermarket Ones That You Need To Remove The Air Cleaner Box. I Had Just Installed The Filter And The Adapter, But I Hadn't Really Mounted It To Anything So The Filter Just Kinda Hung There. Well The Mechanic Said Thats What Threw It Out Of Balance. I Guess This Is A Sensative Sensor. You May Wanna Look At That If You Haven't Resoved The Problem Already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. i was working on the mass airflow also and had taken it out. also when i removed the airbox i unpluged all the sensors under the intake and cleaned everything and reconnected and she started right back up! so these cars are very sensitive to corrosion im told it seems to help if the car is older then ten years. ill be messing around with it tomarrow again ill post and let you know how i make out. did you mechanic tell you how he rebalanced the airflow meter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Mechanic Never Told Me How He Rebalanced It. I Was Really Surprised When He Told Me What It Was. He Said He Cleaned It Out And Then Sent It Out To Get Rebalanced. At Least I Know Now That My Car Isn't The Only One To Ever Have This Problem. By The Way, Have You Ever Had To Replace The Center Support Bearing Or Had Any Problems With The Rear Suspension. If Not Let Me Know, I Have A Couple Of Things You Need To Watch Out For.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts