BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings from nashville..i'll be brief..looking at an 87 325..not sure which model, that's all it says on the trunk..auto, 147,000 miles, 2nd owner, original paint, clean interior, new tires..runs and drives fine,..can buy for less than 2000.00..any known problem areas i need to look for, major recalls, is the auto a strong trans mission,, gas milage expected, not looking for a speed demon, or autocrosser..just a nice second car that is reliable and economical..are they expensive to repair compared to toyota, nissan..any comments pro or con appreciated..thanks..pj in twangtown

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
deltas69 said:
greetings from nashville..i'll be brief..looking at an 87 325..not sure which model, that's all it says on the trunk..auto, 147,000 miles, 2nd owner, original paint, clean interior, new tires..runs and drives fine,..can buy for less than 2000.00..any known problem areas i need to look for, major recalls, is the auto a strong trans mission,, gas milage expected, not looking for a speed demon, or autocrosser..just a nice second car that is reliable and economical..are they expensive to repair compared to toyota, nissan..any comments pro or con appreciated..thanks..pj in twangtown
They had two engines for '87.. The "e" engine and the "i" engine.. If your '87 just has 325 on the decklid, then it is the "e" engine..

That is the least desireable of the two choices, but that shouldn't affect the reliability of the car.. The "i" was a higher revving, more powerful version.. '87 was the last year the "e" engine was offered..

I doubt that any car with 147K is going to be reliable, but you aren't paying much, either.. I don't think it will be economical compared to a Toyota, etc..

You really need to find a good independent tech that specializes in BMWs, and have him check out the car for you.. '80s BMWs are fairly maintenance-intensive.. He can give you an idea of what to expect..

I think it could be fun as a second car, but not like picking up a '91 Civic, as far as reliability and cost.

regards,
kyfdx

·
Registered
247 Posts
decklid might not be the most reliable place to look for what model it is as the letters are sometimes removed or fall off over the course of the last 15 odd years. look on the sticker in the door jam, or the registration, or even the exhaust.
and if you are looking for an economical car, the e might be the better option. not as fun to drive, but it merely sips the fuel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
oh yeah, check the last time the timing belt was changed. if it breaks you will be getting at least the head rebuilt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It could be a carburated 325.Sorry if I said something stupid,but the "e" was fuel injected and the 325 without the "i"was carburated."i" stands for injected.The e has 121 HP and the "i" has 171 hp.Im not sure on the horsepower on the carburated 325.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the same car, 87 325 (no 'e' no 'i'). It's a basic model of the 325E, same eta engine (fuel injected not carbureted) etc just less options. Cloth non-sport seats, manual sunroof, 6-button clock/temp display, basic sound system.

147K is not a lot of miles if it's been decently maintained. The E30 auto trans is not known for long life though. As other have mentioned the timing belt/tensioner is a critical maintenance item.

They are easy cars to work on, parts are not too expensive, a lot of advice/DIYs available for almost any problem you might run into. If you are doing work on the car yourself, I'd say go for it. If you are going to have to take it to a mechanic, you might want to look at a different car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts