BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to compare a base 330i with a 325i w/SP. The only option that comes std on the 330 that I'd add to the 325 are the Xenons, so the price difference for me would amount to ~$3K more for the 330 when doing ED. Assuming that the long term (>100Kmi) cost of maintenance remains the same for both, I'd likely end up spending that $3K difference on the 325 SP in a few years if I must replace the tires with what comes stock, since they're more expensive and wear out at twice the rate than what comes stock on the base 330 (plus, at present, there's not a lot of choices for RFTs).
I haven't been able to do test drives to compare, and in my mundane commute to work, I wouldn't expect to notice much difference on either car. But my question is, what would others prefer to have in twisty mountainous roads? The sport seat, tires and suspension of the lighter 325 going into a curve, or the extra braking and horsepower of the base 330 coming out of the curve? (in either case, a manual for sure)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Artslinger said:
A set of tires for a 325 w/SP costs 3K?
No, not one set alone. It costs about a grand to mount a set of tires for the 325 SP; for the 330 base, it's a bit less. But the SP tires wear out twice as often, so to cover the same 75-85 Kmi, I'll still be on my second purchased set for the base 330, as compared to the 4th or 5th set for the SP. It's that difference that will make the SP cost an extra $3k to drive the same distance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Take this for what it's worth (not a lot), but my vote is always for the better handling first. If the e90 base 330 suspension is less stiff than the 325 with SP, then I'd go with the 325 (I haven't checked on this), unless I could afford the 330 with SP. That said, you can always upgrade suspension later, while you cannot upgrade the engine (at least not cheaply).

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Get the sport package 325 ... if you can swing the 330 with SP go for it. The 330 will hold that 3K advantage over time. No brainer even if it means you eat cheaper lunches. :D (what I do)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts