BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock radio died after starting to make some horrific squealing noises, so I bought an after market head unit as I have done for many cars in the past.
I wired it up to use the stock amp in the back.

Now for the problem:

between 45 & 50mph the radio will turn on and off repeatedly.

It only seems to happen at this speed.

I went as far as to return it and try another. I have checked the wiring and checked it again. I have had a friend check the wiring.

The only thing I have noticed is that there are 2 switchable + wires.
could I have used the wrong one?

This is perplexing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possible to bypass the amp?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work at Circuit City and i know that they make harnesses that will use the stock amplifier and all you have to do is plug it into the stock harness and then buy the harness that fits the new radio and just plug it in... It is SUPER simple and i have done quite a few personally and never had any problems... If all else fails you can have someone else go through the headache for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It could be that you miswired the lead for the speed-sensitive volume. What wiring diagram did you use for the pinouts on the stock cable harness?

As for bypassing the amp - sure that can be done, but it will require use of your own cross-overs for the speakers, since the stock amp has its own cross-overs built-in. People typically do this when replacing the stock speakers with their own 2-way or 3-ways with cross-overs. You might consider doing it in conjunction with adding a good high quality amp and a sub for the trunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts