BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this beautiful, low milage, time capsule from original owner. The front power windows need to manually get lowered 1/8 inch or so to fit into the convertible top track. If not lowered when closing the door the window catches on the outside portion of convertible top. My thoughts are the computer for window needs to be reset. Possibly a battery change threw off the computer. Can someone tell me if the window automatically drops down 1/8 inch when opening the door then rolls up when door closes. I realize the newer Bimmers do this and am not sure about 1989 models. If they are not working correctly what is the method to reset them? Thank you.

Attachments

· D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
32,094 Posts
Hmmmm, I've had two E30 cabrios and never had one that did the window dip like the E36 coupes and cabrios, but neither were newer than 1987. The '89s forward may have that feature.

You can try the E36 window reset. Close the door(s), turn the key to the run position ( don't start the engine). Run the window all the way up and HOLD the switch in the up position for at least 5 seconds. Then run the window all the way down and HOLD the switch in the down position for at least 5 seconds. Now try to open and close the door to see if the window dips as the door is opened and returns to full up after it is closed. If it works, repeat the process with the passenger's door.

If that doesn't fix it, you can try repeating the steps. Sometimes on my E36s it took multiple "resets" to get them working, but one other thing may be causing the lack of dip, the door open switch. I'm not sure where it would be on an E30. On the E36 it is what tells the "comfort relay" (the mini computer that controls window functions) that the door latch has been lifted and the window needs to dip, likewise when the latch relatches the window needs to return to fully up.

Hope that helps. Like I said, I didn't know the E30 cabrios had that feature. Maybe mine did and never worked! :D

· D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
32,094 Posts
Hi John,

Unless you luck up on a dealer that has an old timer in the service department to ask you aren't likely to find any info. Maybe call an independent BMW shop that works on older models?

I searched R3vlimited.com, an E30 forum, very good source of E30 info...I suggest you join. Yeah, that's weird, a Bimmerfest Super Moderator suggesting you go elsewhere for help, but the best help may be somewhere beside here.
I was there looking for an answer, but came up empty. I may not have crafted the search sufficiently to get a hit. Join and post a question. Just be aware that R3vlimited is a little more, uh, edgy than Bimmerfest. Lots of wise-crackers there. A thick skin is an asset if you post there. ;)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi Ken,

Thank you again for your thoughts. I believe the really E30s did not have the feature of lowering window when closing door. There is supposed to be a small white sensor in door latch that operates window when door is opened and closed. I do not see that on this car.

· Registered
35 Posts
Hi John,

Unless you luck up on a dealer that has an old timer in the service department to ask you aren't likely to find any info. Maybe call an independent BMW shop that works on older models?

I searched R3vlimited.com, an E30 forum, very good source of E30 info...I suggest you join. Yeah, that's weird, a Bimmerfest Super Moderator suggesting you go elsewhere for help, but the best help may be somewhere beside here.
I was there looking for an answer, but came up empty. I may not have crafted the search sufficiently to get a hit. Join and post a question. Just be aware that R3vlimited is a little more, uh, edgy than Bimmerfest. Lots of wise-crackers there. A thick skin is an asset if you post there. ;)
Roger at BMW of Nashville has been there since 1986 and he knows the E30's really well. My daughter works in the service department there. I'd wager a friendly call to them asking if Roger might have an an answer might get a response. I took my '92 325i convertible there to have them put new tires on my new 15" euroweaves and do an alignment and he came over to chat about the car. Very knowledgable.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Todd,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will call Monday and ask for Roger. I think it looks like the power down when opening and power up after closing did not come with my car. Apparently there is a small white switch on door latch that triggers the window. I did not see that on my car. But I will asl.

Thank you,

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts