BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a mid- to late 80's 3-series as a daily commuter. While investigating these cars, I noticed that the front driver crash tests were poor, but the front passenger crash tests were good. Why is this? Lack of collapsable steering column/structural failure/??? How safe are these cars in a wreck? Can safety be improved? Thank you. New member.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
the only thing i can think of is that they included the driver's self inflicted injuries after the crash into the equation.:rofl:

but in all seriousness, that is quite interesting, hopefully someone has a real answer b/c I'd like to know as well!

·
Wrencher
438 Posts
ummmm.. roll cage:dunno: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
ive seen some e30 crash pics and the car come out not that bad for a car with almost no saftey features

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
the only thing i can think of is that they included the driver's self inflicted injuries after the crash into the equation.
true that, but it all depends on what you have for safety features. me personally, i like the vehical without an airbag. ive deployed some of the new 3 stage airbags from honda, and i like not being shot in the face with this giant bag that came out of a 12 guage shotgun. its loud and im sure it hurts worse than getting hit in the face with a soccer ball. but other than gettin hit in the face with this giant soccer ball goin over 200mph, the only thing i could think of is hitting your head on the steering wheel. ive hit a gaurd rail goin about 15mph, and i only dented the fender and broke the plastic trim on the bumper. so they are built pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how old you are, but while I'm hot rodder at heart, I've got to the age and point that I know I need to be responsible and try to be around for my family. As a result, I'm always looking at compromises, currently the best compromise of performance, safety, and economy. The E30 seems to satisfy the performance and economy, but may be lacking in safety. I've gotten past how the car comes out of a wreck. As much as I love vehicles, any one that I'll ever have can be replaced. I'm interested in how the cabin protects the occupants. While no one plans on have a wreck, and defensive driving can go a long way, accidents still happen, and it's then that it pays to have considered safety.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
these cars are built pretty good. just no airbags

·
Registered
25 Posts
In general***8230; Most cars from the 80***8217;s are tougher than the equivalent from the 90***8217;s (after extensive research I have decided that mandatory crumple zones as introduced in the 90***8217;s are pretty useless at high speed and the 80***8217;s cars where not that bad at low speed anyway). Having said that, no airbags in the 80***8217;s. If you want the 80***8217;s look and the air bags, I will be happy to sell you my 91***8217; 318i, it***8217;s a grate little car but my new job pays next to nothing and I***8217;m considering one of thaws bike things, you know with 2 peddles and no gas involved (having said that, my 318i gets into the mid 30***8217;s MPG range).

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
you know with 2 peddles and no gas involved (having said that, my 318i gets into the mid 30's MPG range).
if i remember right, im getting about 3000 miles to the gallon, on my pedal bike. but that 3000 miles has more expenses than my car. i think i have about $4000 in that 3000 miles on my bike, while my car is around $2000.

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
My eta from Feb. Hit by a Chevy 2500 truck going 50 mph. My 5 year old was in the back, on the other side. Nobody was injured. I 'd like to see a Honda look so good after that. He hit me in heavy fog while he was trying to avoid a logging truck. I'd trust an e30 to be pretty safe in any normal driving speed condition. No comments on the ugly spare rims..........

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
$4000 in 3000 miles on a bike is a lot of money. I think for the last 3000 miles I put on my twin peddle I only put in about $100***8230;.. You must either have a really nice bike or some really big snack shop habit? Needless to say, I have an antiquated Schwinn highlands from the early 90***8217;s, it dose the job and saves me some gas now and then.

Anyways, back on topic.

I***8217;m glad no one was hurt in that wreck, but it dose serve as a good example of how tuff they are.

·
610EUROs
6,955 Posts
if i remember right, im getting about 3000 miles to the gallon, on my pedal bike. but that 3000 miles has more expenses than my car. i think i have about $4000 in that 3000 miles on my bike, while my car is around $2000.
i ride and my bike only has about $1400 in parts currently on it. $4000 is crazy high unless your bike is pure carbon fiber. there is a full cf bike with disc brakes and everything for $3000 at one of the local shops, but it has an 125 lb weight limit. you can literally pick the whole thing iup with your finger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
^LOL, I***8217;m almost double the weight limit of that bike***8230;. In fact I don***8217;t know that many people over the age or 12 who weight so little.

Sorry about the massive thread hijacking that has happened here guys***8230;.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. Those pictures have given me confidence in the BMW. GrandLordKhorne, would you give me some information about your 318i? Does it have a manual transmission?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a 91' 318i 5 speed. 165K on the chassis, 90K on the motor. I have only been driving it two and from work. The newer motor is because the last owner 'raced' it, so it was a to be safe thing, I put a ton of new parts in it as well (water pump, profile gasket, just to be safe stuff). I treat it pretty nice and it gives me mid 30's econ in return. It's white on black int. The only ugly parts are the bonnet which was spray can painted by the previous owner and the front emblem was bondo over. Otherwise the car is in grate shape. I'm working to get it back to bone stock, at the moment the only things that are not are the steel wheels, intake, shift knob, chip and exhaust. I have a new front emblem and I'm waiting to get some time to fix the hood.

Some pics

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
thread jacking in progress, sorry my bad

i ride and my bike only has about $1400 in parts currently on it. $4000 is crazy high unless your bike is pure carbon fiber
i had a full blown DH bike, but after a gap jump gone wickily horrible, i cracked the rear swingarm and had to get a new frame. switched all my dh parts over to a used frame i got from some kid in canada. and i added all the parts i put into both and its come out to about $3900. and i spend about $150 a month on parts and service.

thread jacking completed

i saw a 88ish xi that was in a front tbone style crash, and grant it, the driver walked away with some whiplash and couple cuts, but the damage didnt even look like the truck hit them at 40ish.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My first 318i 84' was totaled by a 3/4 ton truck that hit me broad side ,spun me twice around in the air,threw me in the ditch,and rolled over.After facial reconstruction,I was fine.I can remember looking over my shoulder and thinking"ohhhhh crap".I took out the driver side window with my face,and fractured a vertebre in my neck.If that had of been a newer small car it probably would have been cut in half!Let me tell you ,thank god they built strong doors!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts