BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new 325i with Premium package + Heated Seats. I live in Chicago and my concern is whether it will handle well during the winter months? I have an AWD Honda right now and have never driven a RWD before.

How much do the snow tires cost for the 325i? Is it worth to get the 325xi for the extra $2000? Any idea when the 325xi is coming out?

I have heard that Run Flat tires need to be replaced if you get a flat tire even once, is this true? If it is, How much does a run flat tire cost? I might as well put on regular tires on the car if it is too expensive.

Mileage - All the owners of the new 325i / 330i what is the average mileage you are getting on the cars? I know it is rated for 21 - 29 but just curious what you are averaging for daily usage.

Break In - What is the recommended break-in mileage for the new cars?

Hope you guys can give me answers to my questions - I am a newbie to these forums and was looking at the g35x until I test drove the 325i over the weekend and was completely sold on it.

Please don't be harsh if I have asked basic questions.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
50 Posts
oly8080 said:
Mileage - All the owners of the new 325i / 330i what is the average mileage you are getting on the cars? I know it is rated for 21 - 29 but just curious what you are averaging for daily usage.

Break In - What is the recommended break-in mileage for the new cars?

Thanks in advance
1) I'm getting around 27 mpg on my new 330 (between city and highway driving).
2) Break-In period, as stated on owner's manual, is 1250 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BimmerPR,

For your help. It is great to know that you are getting 27, that is one big plus over the G35x.

Others, can you please comment on the Snow tires with RWD vs AWD? I am really concerned as this would be my first RWD car and I am afraid to choose 325i and not able to drive in winters.

Please suggest on the Run Flat tires, is it true that we have to replace the tires after the first flat.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
391 Posts
I didn't have problems in Montreal winters with a RWD 323i.

Previously I had a FWD Mazda 323 (Yeah, big step up with the bimmer!) and the way the chassy was balanced, that car was way more tail-happy than the BMW. That has a lot to do with having 60% of the weight on the front wheels of a hatchback.

In winter, with a RWD BMW you will notice a lot of traction-control settling in when you try to start from a red light on a snowy road. The system engages rapidly so you rarely feel the tail moving at all (Though you can force it to when you want to have some fun and give it a bit more gas when starting on a corner and turning, until the system activates and uses the brakes to stabilize the car). If action on the brakes is not sufficient to gain traction, engine power will cut off. So you can floor it if you want, but on a snowy road you'll just see the traction-control logo flashing on the dash, hear some crunching sounds and not go any faster than if you proceeded with a slow start.

You can shut down the system if you want to play, but what I like about it is the fact that it's a reminder of the conditions outside, you're well isolated from that but it tells you that if you can't start fast, you won't stop fast either so it's kind of a warning to drive slower for safety.

Winter tires are a must, the summer tires that come with the car have absolutely no traction in winter and you wouldn't want to toast your brakes because of that...!

·
Registered
191 Posts
oly8080 said:
Thanks BimmerPR,

Please suggest on the Run Flat tires, is it true that we have to replace the tires after the first flat.

Thanks in advance
Tires that have a repairable hole can be repaired irrespective of weather they are a run-flat or not....................

Can you repair a conventional tire after running it down the road? NO

Can you repair a run-flat tire after running it down the road? NO

Does BMW or any car manufacturer recomend patching or plugging a tire? NO

When patching a run-flat it is recommended to dismount the tire and fix it from the inside with a combi-patch (a plug/patch which is pulled through the tire) and as with all tire repairs there is no guarantee of durablility or performance.

The real difference with run-flat tires is that you can safely recover from a blowout and not have to stop immediately to repair it.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
oly8080 said:
Any idea when the 325xi is coming out?

Thanks in advance
Everyone pretty much answered everything else. They start production on the AWD's in Sept., so mid-Oct. to late Oct. for delivery most likely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
325i vs. 325xi

I'm in the exact same situation as you are. I have a Jeep Cherokee and am ready to move into a luxury car. I live in Canada and there is too much snow to ignore. Some people, including the dealers say the RWD is fine with winter tires, but I don't believe them. I'm thinking of holding out until October when the xi comes out. I would love the car right now for summer though. I figure, the option is only $3000 (CDN) more for AWD, and that isn't much for a $50000 car.

·
10,856 Posts
What it really comes down to is that groudn clearance becomes a major problem for Bimmers long before traction does. The AWD version will absolutely be EASIER to drive in the snow, but with snow tires, the RWD version will be able to get essentially anywhere the AWD one can. And if you keep a set of snow chains in the trunk, you'll be able to get out of pretty hairy situations.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've always had to put a couple of bags of kittly litter (~50-60 lbs) in the trunk during the winter. That's with Blizzaks on all four wheels. Mine's a 325ic. Still, I never felt really safe.

My next BMW will be AWD - prolly 325XiT this fall. Can't wait.

·
Registered
257 Posts
325i + a good set of snow tires will be fine in the snow. I live and NH and we had quite a bit of snow and I only got stuck once in a very bad storm in a weird circumstance, it made me feel better knowing that the guy behinde me in the AWD subaru was stuck as well. If I had an XI with snow tires, I may not have been stuck, but it's a long story and I used poor judgement and should have driven my 4Runner that night.

My 325i with snow tires felt more secure once moving in the snow than my 4Runner, the 4runner will go through 2feet up a hill, but did not handle as well in the snow. Both have traction and skid control.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
325i wtih all-season tires

I get that 325i with Snow tires is a must. What abou the All-Season tires, the new 2006 325i come with all-season tires will these be good enough to get through Chicago winter.
I hate to change tires every 6 months and store them in the garage. Will be a no-no for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
oly8080 said:
I get that 325i with Snow tires is a must. What abou the All-Season tires, the new 2006 325i come with all-season tires will these be good enough to get through Chicago winter.
I hate to change tires every 6 months and store them in the garage. Will be a no-no for me.
Here is my take. Depends on the A/S tire. I have driven a 330i with all seasons in the snow. They worked well, but not as good as snow tires. On the other side, you are giving up a pretty good amount of dry weather grip and handling characteristics with an A/S tire. It's all personal prefrence. I use summer only tires in the warms months and I have 225/45/17 snow tires for winter.

PZero Nero's are all season with a bias toward dry/wet weather. They have an all season compound wich will allow you to use them in the snow, but I bet the traction is very limited.

Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Audi a4 2.0T is ugly!!!!

Is it just me or is the new Audi A4 2.0T really ugly? The outgoing 1.8T looked a lot more aggressive. The new one looks like an average sedan now. Does anyone agree with me?

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
I decided to suck it up and deal with changing tires/wheels for the winter. I drove FWD cars for years with crap tires in the snow, so I think I'll be fine with some decent winters in my new 325i. And, I really want to enjoy it in the summer, so I got the sports package. Maybe not the most practical decision, but I'm willing to live and deal with it.

I just have to be careful with the clearance issue. Shouldn't be too many times where that's an issue though, I live close to major roads and they should be well plowed. And if not? well, that's what VPN is for. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
118 Posts
italia90 said:
Is it just me or is the new Audi A4 2.0T really ugly? The outgoing 1.8T looked a lot more aggressive. The new one looks like an average sedan now. Does anyone agree with me?
I am a big Audi fan (or was), but I just bought an e90 so I guess that should answer your question.... I really liked the B6 but I don't like the B7 that much, except in S4 trim. (or RS4 trim).

·
Registered
257 Posts
the_s_rabbit said:
I decided to suck it up and deal with changing tires/wheels for the winter. I drove FWD cars for years with crap tires in the snow, so I think I'll be fine with some decent winters in my new 325i. And, I really want to enjoy it in the summer, so I got the sports package. Maybe not the most practical decision, but I'm willing to live and deal with it.

I just have to be careful with the clearance issue. Shouldn't be too many times where that's an issue though, I live close to major roads and they should be well plowed. And if not? well, that's what VPN is for. :bigpimp:
You will be fine. I am using Michelin Pilot Alpin's and they handle and ride more like an all season with the grip of a snow tire, however there snow tires with more traction in snow, but don't handle nearly as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ic said:
What are the tires size, width and profile are you using?
If you are asking me, I am running 225/45/17's. Not the best size for a snow tire, but they work great. I would prefer something more narrow.

Steve

·
Registered
507 Posts
NH-SHICKS said:
If you are asking me, I am running 225/45/17's. Not the best size for a snow tire, but they work great. I would prefer something more narrow.

Steve
Yes, thanks. I'm preparing the winter. :D If you go for narrower tires, the profile will be higher and will be 16" wheels as well...

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
Anyone here do snow tires on a budget? :)

I have the zsp so I will need 17's. Any reccomendation for size?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts