BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say both are comparably equipped or factory tuned. Which wins between 325i vs Mustang GT and a 330i vs GT? Say at a red light 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow really? I'm really a bit surprised. GT's aren't really all that fast. But I'm assuming the advantages of the bmw would be obvious on a winding track? Acceleration out of turns etc... ?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Oh wow really? I'm really a bit surprised. GT's aren't really all that fast. But I'm assuming the advantages of the bmw would be obvious on a winding track? Acceleration out of turns etc... ?
You're surprised? Horsepower is horsepower.

As for advantages on a track... well, it depends on the track. Driver skill has a LOT more to do with what comes out ahead on a track as well.

It depends on which generation of Mustang you're talking about too, of course.

The BMW is going to be more fun to drive, better built, more luxury features, etc.. but don't buy it and expect to go Mustang hunting.

Join the BMW CCA and attend their car control clinics, autocrosses, and high performance driving events.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Say both are comparably equipped or factory tuned. Which wins between 325i vs Mustang GT and a 330i vs GT? Say at a red light 1/4 mile...
1. Mustang
2. Mustang
Maybe, maybe not....depends on the particular car and driver. My nephew owned a `08 GT for a brief time about a year ago (stock, manual, CAI). He made 3 passes at the track, his best run was 14.36 at 101 mph, which puts him out of reach of 325s, but fair game for a well-driven ZHP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair enough. Now let me throw an M3 or 335i vs the GT in the mix. Comparable cars, say both of the same year, make it 2005. No aftermarket products. 1/4 mile?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Fair enough. Now let me throw an M3 or 335i vs the GT in the mix. Comparable cars, say both of the same year, make it 2005. No aftermarket products. 1/4 mile?
There *were no* 335is in 2005....but 335s and E46 M3s both run low-to-mid 13s in the quarter at around 105 mph....which will knock most Mustangs right into the weeds....

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
If you're even asking about 1/4 mile, it makes me think you may want to get a Mustang (while a stock M3 is faster, spend $3k on aftermarket parts on each and the Mustang will blow it away).

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
If you're even asking about 1/4 mile, it makes me think you may want to get a Mustang (while a stock M3 is faster, spend $3k on aftermarket parts on each and the Mustang will blow it away).
Kris and Bob are both right on the money. Having owned the "good" mustangs (79-93 fox body 5.0's) I will say that even a 325 can thrash those if they are stock. But the newer ones will kill the BMW. However, if you dropped $1000 on suspension for the BMW, and found a curvy road, you should be able to keep the Mustang behind you. Bottom line though is what my dad always said "You can't beat cubic inches" is true and the mustang has more of them than the BMW.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really. The bmw looks better, is built better, and has more character. I'm looking for a bmw to purchase, but was just curious, is all. Not to go "Mustang hunting". But, as an owner of a bmw, how often are you challenged at a stop light? Again, just curious...

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Not really. The bmw looks better, is built better, and has more character. I'm looking for a bmw to purchase, but was just curious, is all. Not to go "Mustang hunting". But, as an owner of a bmw, how often are you challenged at a stop light? Again, just curious...
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in the Bay Area, every other car is a BMW, so I never get challenged.

Even if I did get "rev'd on", I'd generally ignore it. It's not worth the danger/ticket/etc. I get my kicks from autocrossing and at the track and having fun on mountain roads.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
N But, as an owner of a bmw, how often are you challenged at a stop light? Again, just curious...
In the southeast (******* capital of the world) it depends on the car. For instance, a fern green 325 sedan that is bone stock will never get challenged. My car is lowered, has a black roof, big wheels, and obviously modded, so I have been "challenged" a few times. I generally ignore them as well because I know that my 323 can't win unless we are on a twisty road. I will admit to trying to take off ramps or on ramps so fast the would be challenger behind me (usually a stang) is forced to either slow down or crash. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
having fun on mountain roads.
+2

I live in the mountains and that is where the BMW really shines. There are too many cars out there that can blow my 325 away from a standing start but, get them on the mountain twisties and I take great pleasure in watching them falling WAY back on corners and/or trying to keep up by cornering on 2 wheels.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 325 is pretty quick and a wonderful all around driving experience but for flat out speed it lacks the HP to take on cars built with speed in mind.

My plan is to do some suspension upgrades and make my car even more potent for real driving.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
What's to be confused about? Best way to make it more potent! :thumbup:
smolck, ever thought about entering the 24 hours of LeMons races? I think you'd have a blast. You could likely find a team willing to fund your entrance fee in exchange for your mechanical skills and time. There is a race in S Carolina I think... maybe some others even closer to you. Start hangin' out on the 24h of LeMons forum...

At one of the races over here, there was a 1st gen Toyota MR2... with an electric supercharger.... powered by an alternator... hooked to a large wind turbine that stuck out of the back.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
What's to be confused about? Best way to make it more potent! :thumbup:
Ah yes!! I thought maybe you were referring to me :rofl:

Agreed. If and when I can afford it, a Supercharger would be awesome! Along with suspension upgrades and a debadging it would be quite a "sleeper" car and a blast to drive.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Ah yes!! I thought maybe you were referring to me :rofl:

Agreed. If and when I can afford it, a Supercharger would be awesome! Along with suspension upgrades and a debadging it would be quite a "sleeper" car and a blast to drive.
Yes indeed, I have debadged my car, now all I need is the blower :rofl:

smolck, ever thought about entering the 24 hours of LeMons races? I think you'd have a blast. You could likely find a team willing to fund your entrance fee in exchange for your mechanical skills and time. There is a race in S Carolina I think... maybe some others even closer to you. Start hangin' out on the 24h of LeMons forum...
No, but I will start looking into it. I would LOVE to do some racing or even be on a pit crew. Improvisation and wrenching fast are two of my best skills. I just always figured that $$ would limit me.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts