BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a MY2K 323i (Sports Prem) and love it but am ready to trade it in for a new model. I would like to solicit your opinions on the Sport Wagon. My wife likes the versatility of the wagon but I do most of the driving and I am used to driving a really 'fun' car. Should I get the AWD option? What options are essential? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

iiotoko
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
It will be very similar to your 323 if you get RWD. The AWD will not be the same, lower performing and less grip (unless on gravel/snow).

Go for the RWD, IMO
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
iiotoko said:
I currently drive a MY2K 323i (Sports Prem) and love it but am ready to trade it in for a new model. I would like to solicit your opinions on the Sport Wagon. My wife likes the versatility of the wagon but I do most of the driving and I am used to driving a really 'fun' car. Should I get the AWD option? What options are essential? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

iiotoko
The driving dynamics of the wagon are nearly identical to those of the sedan. The wagon is about 140 pounds heavier than the sedan and most of that extra weight sits on the rear wheels. Adding AWD will add 130 lbs and prevent you from being able to opt for the sport suspension. The firmness of the AWD suspension is somewhere between the base and sport of the RWD version. It also rides about .7" higher than the RWD and exhibits a little more body roll as well as comes with skinnier M+S allseasons.
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
nate328Ci said:
It will be very similar to your 323 if you get RWD. The AWD will not be the same, lower performing and less grip (unless on gravel/snow).

Go for the RWD, IMO
Nate your opinion IMO is full of BS:mad:

I love my xiT:thumbup:

To be honest, Nate makes a valid point. If you've already cut your teeth on BMW RWD characteristics you may be a little disappointed with the cornering, body roll, etc. with the AWD. Coming from an Accord I still find the rear bias on my wagon a nice change. I would suggest you go drive one :)

I did drive non-AWD sedan back to back with xi, in normal commuter type driving there is little difference IMO. It's when you go hard into a corner or off ramp when I noticed the difference. Also, when turning hard at slow speeds (i.e., parking and backing out of garage/parking space).
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Nate your opinion IMO is full of BS:mad:

I love my xiT:thumbup:

To be honest, Nate makes a valid point. If you've already cut your teeth on BMW RWD characteristics you may be a little disappointed with the cornering, body roll, etc. with the AWD. Coming from an Accord I still find the rear bias on my wagon a nice change. I would suggest you go drive one :)

I did drive non-AWD sedan back to back with xi, in normal commuter type driving there is little difference IMO. It's when you go hard into a corner or off ramp when I noticed the difference. Also, when turning hard at slow speeds (i.e., parking and backing out of garage/parking space).
Do xiT's come with running boards yet? :dunno:

:angel:
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
As someone who actually owns a RWD iT, I agree. :D

The suspension design is identical to the other bodytypes, although the springs and shocks (I think) are ever so slightly stiffer to accomodate the extra person's worth of weight in back.

The AWD's suspension is actually a design compromise, as despite its increased ride height, suspension travel is DECREASED from RWD, both from keeping the front drivetrain from excessive binding at the limits, and to minimize excess body roll from the higher CoG (this is according to Bentley info, not pulled out of my ass).

AWD also limits certain modifications (e.g. suspension and shifter) as there are significant differences in some of these parts.
 

·
doh!!!
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Very little difference betweent the sedan and the wagon except as Clyde mentioned about a 140lbs. Like he also stated, that weight is over the rear and as I experienced at a local Auto-x that weight can be very fun.

No offense to the xiT'ers but the AWD wagon cannot be had with a true sport package and it add's even more weight. So perfomance wise stick to RWD. Snow, rain, light offroading then xiT might be your ticket

no flames pleases:angel:

jeff
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
nate328Ci said:


Do xiT's come with running boards yet? :dunno:

:angel:
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
Very little difference betweent the sedan and the wagon except as Clyde mentioned about a 140lbs. Like he also stated, that weight is over the rear and as I experienced at a local Auto-x that weight can be very fun.

No offense to the xiT'ers but the AWD wagon cannot be had with a true sport package and it add's even more weight. So perfomance wise stick to RWD. Snow, rain, light offroading then xiT might be your ticket

no flames pleases:angel:

jeff
No flames, all valid points:) Ones I will hvae refreshed tomorrow when I have a loaner (but they usually do not have SP:banghead: )

My next BMW will not be AWD, but hopefully I'll have my current one around for those snowy/yucky days:thumbup:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

No flames, all valid points:) Ones I will hvae refreshed tomorrow when I have a loaner (but they usually do not have SP:banghead: )

My next BMW will not be AWD, but hopefully I'll have my current one around for those snowy/yucky days:thumbup:
Ask for a manual tranny loaner :D
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
nate328Ci said:


Ask for a manual tranny loaner :D
Yea right:lmao:

They do have a 99 M3 Cab CPO on the lot, any chance they will let me take it for the day:dunno: :p

sorry for the small distraction on this thread but Nate is leading me;)
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Yea right:lmao:

They do have a 99 M3 Cab CPO on the lot, any chance they will let me take it for the day:dunno: :p

sorry for the small distraction on this thread but Nate is leading me;)
Why not?

edit: btw, the original question was answered long ago :angel:
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
nate328Ci said:


Why not?

edit: btw, the original question was answered long ago :angel:
I'll ask but the Serv MGR will :lmao:

Just trying to be PC;)
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

I'll ask but the Serv MGR will :lmao:

Just trying to be PC;)
Why?

I've asked and was not laughed at. This was a while ago though. I got a white on tan manual 328i :)
 

·
Touring with Traction
Joined
·
96 Posts
iiotoko said:
I currently drive a MY2K 323i (Sports Prem) and love it but am ready to trade it in for a new model. I would like to solicit your opinions on the Sport Wagon. My wife likes the versatility of the wagon but I do most of the driving and I am used to driving a really 'fun' car. Should I get the AWD option? What options are essential? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

iiotoko
I think the question of AWD vs RWD depends on whether you expect to drive on poor traction surfaces or not. For normal road use, the extra weight and slightly more body lean of an Xi vs RWD is a negative, but in snow or ice, particularly with hills, the very first time AWD gets you home when the RWD guys are our there pushing will be worth it! Add things such as 4 wheel DSC, and HDC, and your winter driving experience just got a lot better.

I now have an XiT, I had an E36 coupe - the enjoyment factor is equal, the security factor is a huge plus.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top