BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have had my 325xi for several years (156000miles) and about 2 years ago had some air leaks in the engine, since it was not my primary car, I put the car in the garage so I can slowly worked on it in my spare time. I would start it regularly with no problems (just a rough idle)

I changed the DISA valve gasket, spark plugs, and valve cover gasket. As that is where the leaks were coming from. During that time the battery died and now that the car is put back together it will not even crank. I checked the battery (2 yrs old) the alternator, and checked voltages throuout the car (have not yet checked the starter but it is a pain to get to from what I have seen.

The last time the car did start it ran fine until out of the blue it shut off and the battery was reading 0v that is what prompted me to check the battery/alternator but they both checked out fine at autozone.

Any suggestions on what to test and where to begin?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Hey all,

I have had my 325xi for several years (156000miles) and about 2 years ago had some air leaks in the engine, since it was not my primary car, I put the car in the garage so I can slowly worked on it in my spare time. I would start it regularly with no problems (just a rough idle)

I changed the DISA valve gasket, spark plugs, and valve cover gasket. As that is where the leaks were coming from. During that time the battery died and now that the car is put back together it will not even crank. I checked the battery (2 yrs old) the alternator, and checked voltages throuout the car (have not yet checked the starter but it is a pain to get to from what I have seen.

The last time the car did start it ran fine until out of the blue it shut off and the battery was reading 0v that is what prompted me to check the battery/alternator but they both checked out fine at autozone.

Any suggestions on what to test and where to begin?
check for 12 v at the terminals under the hood, passenger side "drug bin" ;) is that where it read 0?

Makes me wonder if the positive cable ballistic on the battery cable blew. Designed to cut power in an accident, but they do go bad sometimes.

also, there's a junction bolt on the firewall, inside the "drug bin" where the starter/alt etc exchange power with the battery circuit. sometimes that corrodes.

gratuitously, i'll just say "drug bin" one more time...... bc it never gets old :rofl: :drink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, although I am not 100% convinced the battery is "good" I have unfortunately ruled out the battery as being the reason for the no crank. (Hooked up a battery that is good from another car and tried to start - still no crank). Ahull- the 0v was read at the battery terminal after the abrupt shutoff which pointed me to the alternator (no luck) once the battery is charged it does read good voltage to the terminal under the hood.

Thanks for the troubleshooting guide goforthfast, it looks like the next step is to see if power is getting to the starter.

From everything I heard getting to the starter in a e46 is a pain (I was trying to avoid that if possible)

I will keep you all posted on the progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.