BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an old schooler of BMW"s . I've just bought a 2013 328 fully loaded . Now I'm worried about this turbo engine noise I keep hearing about it . I don't have the car yet it is being shipped from another state . It is a 6 speed , I despise the automatics . Is this thing going to be that loud knocking , whining , ?? I'll go crazy ! It was made in April 2013, I DK if thT matters or not in regard to the engine noise . I was so busy researching options, trying to find a car with what I wanted I failed to research the turbo until after the fact !!!! Now I'm really I panic mode !!!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
First, take some deep breaths. The turbo issues are pretty rare. Did the car come with maintenance records? Did the car undergo a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable shop that specializes in BMWs?

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
I'm an old schooler of BMW"s . I've just bought a 2013 328 fully loaded . Now I'm worried about this turbo engine noise I keep hearing about it . I don't have the car yet it is being shipped from another state . It is a 6 speed , I despise the automatics . Is this thing going to be that loud knocking , whining , ?? I'll go crazy ! It was made in April 2013, I DK if thT matters or not in regard to the engine noise . I was so busy researching options, trying to find a car with what I wanted I failed to research the turbo until after the fact !!!! Now I'm really I panic mode !!!
You never drove a 328?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
328 turbo

Yes I have a 328 now , but not turbo , it is pre certified and purchased at BMW dealership . I'm sure I paid more for it getting it there but was leery of purchasing from unknown dealer since I'm doing out of state transaction . It only has 39,000 miles on it . I've just never drove a car with turbo this actually will be my 5 th BMW

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You ask about that loud knocking, whining, etc. You seem to have had prior experience with a turbo charged BMW engine making those kinds of noises. Which car was that.

With those concerns you bought the car not having driven it?
Suppose is delivered and it is too noisy for you. Then what?

Good grief....that's bass-ackwards.:yikes:

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
Yes I have a 328 now , but not turbo , it is pre certified and purchased at BMW dealership . I'm sure I paid more for it getting it there but was leery of purchasing from unknown dealer since I'm doing out of state transaction . It only has 39,000 miles on it . I've just never drove a car with turbo this actually will be my 5 th BMW
Let me rephrase: You never drove an F30 328 with this engine? Even if you are buying from out of state, you didn't go to a local dealer and test drive a CPO or something? You may want to go do that today, and cancel your deal if you don't like the turbo engine.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If there is a concern, is the car under 4 years old and no void to 4yr 50k complete warranty? Bring it to a dealer then to check out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, take some deep breaths. The turbo issues are pretty rare. Did the car come with maintenance records? Did the car undergo a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable shop that specializes in BMWs?
Yes yes ,, it was a lease and dealership just put new tires on it and bought me a set of BMW mats . Lol- I'm sure I paid for them in the price I paid , but not easy to find 6 speed with most options , with color I like and low mileage , been doing nationwide ssearch for months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You ask about that loud knocking, whining, etc. You seem to have had prior experience with a turbo charged BMW engine making those kinds of noises. Which car was that.

With those concerns you bought the car not having driven it?
Suppose is delivered and it is too noisy for you. Then what?

Good grief....that's bass-ackwards.:yikes:
I've been researching about the turbo engine . That's where I got my information . My dealership has NO 6 speed with turbo engine . My current Beemer has 170,000 miles on it so I need to get something else . I travel out of state alone n it broke down on me once , fuel pump - was in another state , nightmare . Since 6 speeds r not that plentiful. Not easy to get everything you want . I just didn't realize the noise might be very different from my V engine now .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been researching about the turbo engine . That's where I got my information . My dealership has NO 6 speed with turbo engine . My current Beemer has 170,000 miles on it so I need to get something else . I travel out of state alone n it broke down on me once , fuel pump - was in another state , nightmare . Since 6 speeds r not that plentiful. Not easy to get everything you want . I just didn't realize the noise might be very different from my V engine now .
Also I don't know if it is too noisy for me . I thought someone who knew about BMWs and had experience would reply . You haven't indicated anything about the turbo so I guess you don't know anything .

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If you are coming from an inline 6 you are going to be pretty underwhelmed with the sound of the n20 engine. 2013 is pre-LCI with the active sound upgrades so it will sound exactly like my car sounds, good and smooth until you really wind it out and it sounds like a leaf blower... So there's that at least. Probably would have been good to drive the car before buying it.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
If there is a concern, is the car under 4 years old and no void to 4yr 50k complete warranty? Bring it to a dealer then to check out
I'm reading her concern that she may not like the sound of a turbo engine. Ain't nuthin your warranty is going to do about that...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Also I don't know if it is too noisy for me . I thought someone who knew about BMWs and had experience would reply . You haven't indicated anything about the turbo so I guess you don't know anything .
Having driven turbo charged cars for the past 30 years gives me some experience. But the primary question still remains. Why would you commit to buy a car without driving it if you were so concerned about the engine making noise?

There is no way for any of us to know whether that used car was serviced properly and how hard it was driven. How would we know if any part of it is noisy or not? I would be much more concerned about a manual transmission BMW having a chipped engine than about turbo charger noise. Do you know anything about the service and repair history of that car?

FWIW turbocharged cars have been in production since the 1960's. The turbocharger design has evolved since then and is highly reliable. And quiet. As long as one keeps up with oil changes and performs routine service and maintenance. On well maintained engine you are likely to hear the whirring of an AC pump and alternator as well as the clicking of fuel injectors more than anything else.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
This is kind of a recipe for disaster, sorry. These boards are FILLED with people who had older BMWs and then bought F30s, and then couldnt stand them.

You really should have test drove a 2013 F30 somewhere before buying one sight unseen, MT or not. I am fairly confident that you will not like the sound of the engine, whether the turbos are loud or not.

4 Cylinder F30s dont sound like Older BMWs. The "loud" turbo thing is one thing, but the sound of the engine in general is really, really different in f30 328s. In fact, one of the main reasons I leased a 335, and then a 435 instead of the '28 versions was the sound of the engine. Not that the 328 sounded too "loud".. it just did not sound "good" to me.

Both cars are plenty fast enough.

If you have time, I would RUN to a dealership and test drive a 2013 even if it has the automatic transmission. That will have nothing to do with the sound of the engine, or the steering feel (another thing you will likely come back here and be upset with), or road feel (yet another thing you will likely be underwhelmed with, coming from your older BMW).

You might find you love it.... but it IS different, and you really really should know before you have completed this purchase, if at ALL possible.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
Had experience about what? Your turbo noise paranoia? This is an extremely personal concern--you are concerned if you are going to dislike the sound of a turbo engine--more specifically, this turbo engine. I'm not sure what you want us all to tell you. You bought it without a test drive, so don't go blaming all the people you asked for advice as "not knowing anything". We all know to test drive a car before spending thousands of dollars on it....:dunno:

Trying to determine if you are just trying to troll us all....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Sounds to me like the OP already bought the car. My suggestion to her is to stop worrying and be prepared to like it. If it doesn't suit you, you can always trade it away.

·
I'd keep playing!
356 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to go to a dealer and drive a 328 auto. Or come to NJ and drive mine (also an auto). I'm happy with the power and the sound (not that picky about the sound and you can change the exhaust). Just my opinion....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just wait until you get the car, drive it, and decide for yourself whether you like it. At this point it's all speculation and dogpiling.

Heck, I bought an e60 n54 after a little research. Drove it two days, went on vacation, did a lot more research, and now in concerned about the fuel pump, water pump, carbon buildup, battery issues, how to read codes, taillight problems, active steering sensors, xdrive malfunctions, door squeaks, oil filter housing leaks, proper jacking points, sunroof rattles and brake pads. Reality sunk in: other people have these problems. I will not have all the same problems. Therefore I offer you the same advice I give myself:

Don't worry. Drive and enjoy the car. Deal with the issues as they arise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts