BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
It depend how hard you push it. Most will last along time, if you do normal street drive. But if you drag or abuse it, then it will not last. 328's auto tranny are made by GM, so you know how long GM tranny last :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I've heard some stories about those transmissions giving up around 70-80k. The culprit is usually the transmission fluid, which BMW claims is good for a "lifetime." Change your tranny fluid every 25-30k miles, despite BMWs recommendation, and should be able to get significanly more out of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i own a 328 auto as well and thats the one thing i'm concerned about with about 100,000 miles. i'll probably switch to a synthetic transmission oil my next change, any sugestions on which brand? thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
ImperialDuckM3 said:
It depend how hard you push it. Most will last along time, if you do normal street drive. But if you drag or abuse it, then it will not last. 328's auto tranny are made by GM, so you know how long GM tranny last :rolleyes: .
This is the part that confuses me, the european GM, or the american gm????

·
10,856 Posts
BMW528i_Bilal said:
This is the part that confuses me, the european GM, or the american gm????
American.

·
10,856 Posts
BMW528i_Bilal said:
Now does that include the 5 speed steptronic???
Last I checked the step trannies were made by ZF, although I've heard that some may have been made by GM. Yours should be a ZF.

·
10,856 Posts
BMW528i_Bilal said:
What are these ZF transmission, and where do they come from. The steptronic i must say is a awesome transmission.
Germany.

There's a reason why I said the 328 auto had a very pontiac feel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeyy !, I don't want no GM parts in my car, and GM transimissions stink, we got a 99 malibu, the transimission is slow on that car, lol why would bmw even use gm transmissions?

·
10,856 Posts
I'm guessing that it's because they were pissed off that people wanted them in the first place.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Oh, like the cupholder philosophy. I've noticed every German car I've seen puts them in the worst position possible, making them either unusable or very risky to use. Definitely put in with the attitude of "Hey, we didn't want to install them in the first place!"

Emanuel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts