BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 328 has been having some electrical problems lately. The battery dies on me almost once a week. I changed the battery for a new one on Saturday and the car didn't start on Wednesday. The alternator has been checked an its working fine. I'm guessing there is an electrical leak somewhere. Any ideas on what to look for? Should I just buy a jump starter?

The cooling systems was replaced last week and apparently the cars hasn't had any maintenance for a while (cooling system failed, oil leaks, electrical problems, etc.).

I just need the car to work until July of this year.

· Registered
227 Posts
Hi. A common fault is the FSR which controls the demist motor, try pulling the fuse for the demisters and see if your battery holds its charge if it does then your FSR is faulty and needs replacing. If not you need to check for a parasitic drain which involves a multi-meter and pulling fuses out, try a search for parasitic drain. Jim

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
If it's the FSU, look here:
- How to troubleshoot a bad FSU final stage unit (1)

If it's not the FSU, then look here:
- Here is a diagnostic procedure to test for overnight parasitic battery drain (1)

See also:
- How to troubleshoot a bad FSU final stage unit (1) and how to build a test jig for your FSR final stage resistor (1) & how to autopsy or repair solder cracks in your blower motor resistor (1) & how to replace your HVAC blower resistor (1) (E46) & what FSU is the right one to buy (1)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.