BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Can't answer your question directly because I've never driven the 328i.However,I can give an opinion regarding the "d" (which I've owned for a month),my previous "d",as well as Mercedes C Class sedans I got as loaners while my Bluetec was in for service.First,assuming you've never owned a diesel,bear in mind that the "i" and the "d" very probably feel very different.Diesels are very much highway cars that are at their best on the Interstate at 70mph.I cannot even begin to describe any of my diesels,including my new "d",as "sporty".And as for the C Class (gasoline)...it's not even in the same league as either of my "d"s.

Have you driven the new "d"? Have you ever driven any diesel?

·
Registered
674 Posts
You just said it. If you mostly drive city than a D isn't for you.
I don't know if I'd say that. I drive alot of city and routinely get 35-38 mpg, with some of my 'city' being a mix of traditional city driving, freeway and open two lane rural roads. It does great. The OP lives in southern cal, so I suspect he may do a significant amount of freeway driving. If so, a diesel may not be that bad a thing to have.

Not all city driving is traditional city stop and go. Mine turns out to be roughly equal to the combined mpg rating. So the op should guage what type of 'city' driving he does.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
Negative - I have never driven a diesel. I also mostly drive city, so that might be a deciding factor!
4 cylinder diesel will probably be fine.

The difference you will feel is greater torque or the push when under light /medium throttle. The diesel will give you an effortless feel whereas the gasser will feel like it.has to work a little harder.

The 328i will rev faster and will accelerate much faster from a stop. I suspect hwy passing is comparable between the two.

IMO BMW really screwed up by bringing a re-badge 320d instead of the 325d.

FWIW I've been driving a 328i for about 3 weeks over the past 2 months.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know if I'd say that. I drive alot of city and routinely get 35-38 mpg, with some of my 'city' being a mix of traditional city driving, freeway and open two lane rural roads. It does great. The OP lives in southern cal, so I suspect he may do a significant amount of freeway driving. If so, a diesel may not be that bad a thing to have.

Not all city driving is traditional city stop and go. Mine turns out to be roughly equal to the combined mpg rating. So the op should guage what type of 'city' driving he does.
Many 335d owners had good mileage in the beginning but as mileage creeped up problems came about. It's not just the stop and go but short commutes. Diesels need to be worked and get up to temps. They get the cars around effortlessly compared to a gasser that has to rev more. They run cooler and this is why I believe the carbon build up is happening. Maybe poor design for the NA pollution control but regardless these cars were made for autobahn speeds which put them under load. The 4cylinder 328d might not suffer as bad since it will work harder than the 3.0l straight 6. VW 4 cyl diesels have clogged up as well. All I hear from anyone who's owned diesels (plural) is to push it more than once and a while and the vehicle will last a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.