BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting am m50 inlet manifold. mine is obdII will i need a conversion kit or can i bolt it straight on? :dunno:

current mods:
New cooling system
full toyosports exhaust (stainless manifolds, de-cat ect...)
K&N filter with direct cold air feed

any ideas on what the current HP might be, i hope around 200, its shifts well enough and will spin the wheels in 3rd! had it 150mph before running out of motorway.

Also want an lsd diff and a remap. any more suggestions?

·
Registered
12,460 Posts
i think that's just us models.

without the turbonator...:p

afaik, the manifold swap is not going to give you anything without taking some low end away. as is the case of many types of manifold swaps (like a small block chevy, for instance), very seldom do you get broad gains over the entire spectrum of rpm range.

iirc, the ideal conditions for this swap would be track use, although not necessarily a dedicated track car.

i thought i saw some graphs somewhere about this, but i am not certain if it was on this site or if i googled it.

i would do some research on the things that work, and what to expect. i would also look into upgrading the suspension and brakes as well.

and don't forget the tires. they'll make a huge difference in the performance feel.

df

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
...or if his needle reads 42 mph when he's at a dead stop...

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
i am asking this to research. and i will take a pic of the dials of you like why would i lie?? i asked for advice ....not a smart arse
i dont think theyre accusing you lol.

its just the our cars wont go past 130(? ) unless its chipped or maybe thats just a US thing

but yeah i heard if you do the m50 manifold youll lose low end torque but will gain top end torque

which low end torque is good for daily city driving of course

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
There are a number of videos of non-boosted non-Ms doing over 140 on YouTube, so I think they're capable of it, but barely. You'd probably need to drive across half the continent to get up to that speed, with a tail wind.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
I have had mine up and passed a 2009 Camaro when it hit its electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. (I passed it VERY slowly).

- This was on a closed track across the Prairies with emergency crews standing by...

·
hookersandblow
7,254 Posts
There are a number of videos of non-boosted non-Ms doing over 140 on YouTube, so I think they're capable of it, but barely. You'd probably need to drive across half the continent to get up to that speed, with a tail wind.
Yeah, but not with the basic mods that OP claims to have....

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
It would take a friggin' eternity, but I don't have much trouble believing that a 328 with nothing more than a chip could do 155mph.

I have had mine up and passed a 2009 Camaro when it hit its electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. (I passed it VERY slowly).

- This was on a closed track across the Prairies with emergency crews standing by...
One problem: the Camaro wasn't in production for MY2009. :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.