BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the 328i up to the mountains over the weekend expecting a great time. The car hugged the curves beautifully but really struggled with the steep inclines, which surprised me. The fan came on and it seemed to smoke a bit up front...why?
:dunno:

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I moved your question to our E90 3 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. Where did the smoke come from?

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mountain Driving

Just light smoke, towards the front. I've had the car since 2012 and never took it up to the mountains before. It stopped when we turned around and came back down.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts
Automatic or manual? If automatic, were you in Sport mode or not? What was the approximate RPM range where you spent most of your time, while climbing? Do you have a lot of experience driving in the mountains or are you just an occasional visitor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Automatic. I didn't even think about sport mode, should it be in that? It struggled with shifting as well. I have not been in the mountains before with that car, so no experience. Planning on moving there, though. I didn't look at the RPMs, I should have. My bad....any tips?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,371 Posts
Spend a weekend on The Tail of the Dragon US-129, not that the hills of Northern Georgia are slack.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Smoke from where? Belt? Oil on hot engine? Front brakes? We really don't have enough info to know what happened, but there should be no issue ascending with a healthy 328. What's the mileage? Have you taken a look under the hood to see if anything obvious was the cause? If I were you I'd go back and duplicate the problem, pull over and have a look at things. Too bad there's no temperature gauge!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We were in the NC mountains north of Highlands, pretty good grades.
I've done the Tail of the Dragon on the back of a motorcycle and haven't been quite right since. ;)

There was no place I felt safe to park it and look under the hood, we took it back down and the smoking abated, I couldn't find the source. It has 63,500 miles on it, I drive a lot. I'm back in GA so cannot duplicate it. I'm taking it in for a check on Thursday.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd definitely take it to get checked. Earlier this year I took my base model '07 328i up Big Bear mountain. It had about 82,000 miles on it then. Handled it like a boss. No smoke, no struggling, no hard gear shifts. I drove most of the mountain (which I went almost all the way up) on regular auto.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tell me about it- dumb a++ engineers stuck a mileage-o-meter in place of a temp gauge . Gimmickry. Happened just as oil prices were skyrocketing, figured it would be a good gimmick to sell cars.
The fuel mileage indicator has been a trademark gauge for BMW for a very long time.

-Kevin

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
Yes, have it checked. My E90 325 never had an issue climbing grades.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hum , I'm driving my car and smoke started coming out of the engine and I kept driving it. What is wrong with that statement? Do not blame Bmw, your mechanics or your mom when you find out their was some serious damage to your engine . Do not complain about crappy Bmw engineering . If you are not smart enough to stop driving and have your car towed when that happens , you do not need to be driving.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
We took the 328i up to the mountains over the weekend expecting a great time. The car hugged the curves beautifully but really struggled with the steep inclines, which surprised me. The fan came on and it seemed to smoke a bit up front...why?
Well, first off, did you get a whiff?

And let's pop the bonnet and take a peek. Oil seepage anywhere? Driveway spots?

No, struggling is not normal.....and let's not forget to look for coolant leakage. Crusty deposit?

May have to look from below.........

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tell me about it- dumb a++ engineers stuck a mileage-o-meter in place of a temp gauge . Gimmickry. Happened just as oil prices were skyrocketing, figured it would be a good gimmick to sell cars.
It's because with the electric water pump, the temp gauge would have freaked people out. ti runs hot for economy, and cooler for performance, so temps would be jumping all around unlike a normal car with a fixed "dumb" thermostat. Personally I'd like to see it. that and oil temp...whcih only the 335i has.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
It's because with the electric water pump, the temp gauge would have freaked people out. ti runs hot for economy, and cooler for performance, so temps would be jumping all around unlike a normal car with a fixed "dumb" thermostat. Personally I'd like to see it. that and oil temp...whcih only the 335i has.
And the water temp gauge on the E46 was so heavily buffered as to be useful only for determining when the motor has gotten up to normal operating temp. After that, it was virtually the same as an idiot light, moving up only after the car had seriously overheated. My Boxster's water temp readout is similar, always reading exactly 194o after warmup.

So I don't miss BMW's water temp gauge - but would also love to have an oil temp gauge on my E91.

Re the OP's issue, I've run five 2.8~3.0 litre Bimmers hard thru the Blue Ridge and up to 12,000 feet in the Rockies with no overheating, smoke or unusual loss of power. Hopefully his car gets checked out and is a minor problem.

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
The fuel mileage indicator has been a trademark gauge for BMW for a very long time.

-Kevin
Oh, Thanks, Kevin for that- I didnt know. I figured that as when I bought mine thats when oil prices hit a record. Still, dumb a** idea. One of the most important tings to know at a glance is how hot your engine is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts