BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just got a 06 Gulf gti and just looking at the straight numbers his gti is about as even as a match up as you can find for a FWD vs RWD match up. This is also a forced induction vs naturally aspirated. My 99 328i is about 150 lbs heavier. I think over all if we drive the cars head to head the only think I will have going for me is in the 0-60, because of the RWD I should have a better take off. One thing is sure... it will be fun. He also has about 20k miles and the 328 has 140k(huge difference!). I hope to get the new clutch in this weekend. If so, I till try to post a video if it happens. :thumbup: I think the GTI should win:(, plus he is a seasons s-2000 driver with loads more experience than I. Have any of you faced off with the VW gti?

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
My buddy just got a 06 Gulf gti and just looking at the straight numbers his gti is about as even as a match up as you can find for a FWD vs RWD match up. This is also a forced induction vs naturally aspirated. My 99 328i is about 150 lbs heavier. I think over all if we drive the cars head to head the only think I will have going for me is in the 0-60, because of the RWD I should have a better take off. One thing is sure... it will be fun. He also has about 20k miles and the 328 has 140k(huge difference!). I hope to get the new clutch in this weekend. If so, I till try to post a video if it happens. :thumbup: I think the GTI should win:(, plus he is a seasons s-2000 driver with loads more experience than I. Have any of you faced off with the VW gti?
Well.. If it's an GTi with turbo then hill own you.
I've raced a buddy that has a 07 GTi with turbo and he owns by straight line. But when I got him in the canyons. I lost him waaaay behind me lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that's what I am thinking. The 06 gti Peaks torque @ 1950 rpm and the 328i peaks @ 3500 rpm.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
There's nothing impressive about owning a FWD tiny hatchback with a 2.0l 4 cylinder engine that can only make the power to beat you by using a turbo. A VW Golf just isn't as good as a BMW 3er.

The GTi is designed to win when it comes to acceleration, whereas a BMW just wins as an overall package. Even when he beats you, who cares, tis better to own a BMW. There's a reason we have a 2.8 straight 6 rather than a 2.0 straight 4 turbo, it's for refinement and reliability.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Pick a road with lots of sharp turns....he`ll be forced to use the lower gears, and the torque steer/understeer will slow him down a lot....(does he know the front-wheel drive technique of stabbing the brake pedal with his left foot to kick the rear end out? If not, don`t tell him... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bob. Being new to FWD cars I don't think he will.

B/\/\W- I don't want his car, it's a hatch back.:confused: Not my style. Nor would even he pick a VW of any type over a BMW if money was not a factor. In fact his dream car is a BMW 135i, 335i, or M3. Just not in the budget right now. With that said I sill would like to beat him. This is really all good fun. I am well aware that his car is quicker than mine and he knows it too. That's not going to stop us from taking them out!:thumbup:

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,998 Posts
50-50 weight distribution, style, and with a few hundred dollars of suspension mods, you will own him. Just take him down a road with a sharp turn at the end as others have said.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
B/\/\W- I don't want his car, it's a hatch back.:confused: Not my style. Nor would even he pick a VW of any type over a BMW if money was not a factor. In fact his dream car is a BMW 135i, 335i, or M3. Just not in the budget right now. With that said I sill would like to beat him. This is really all good fun. I am well aware that his car is quicker than mine and he knows it too. That's not going to stop us from taking them out!:thumbup:
A 06 VW Golf GTI is valued at far more than either of our cars...

I understand what you are saying though.

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
thegoat,

As others have mentioned, in a straight line he's gonna get you. In the curves you are gonna cream him. Powering the turning wheels is about the worst thing you can do in a racing car. His S2000 experience will help him pick a great line through the curves, but the understeer is gonna shock him unless he keeps his foot in it. Good luck!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.