BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 328i bmw and I drove it while it was hot a couple of times and the last time I pulled over it wouldn't start. It would just make a clicking noise like the battery was dead. Can someone please help me and tell me what the problem is?????

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to a new thread, it is better than posting your question to an existing thread that may not be related. To start what year is your 328 and did it eventually start or what happened?

Tim

·
I'm much better now, Dave
448 Posts
The diagnostic steps to check your battery are pretty straightforward.

If your dashboard lights up, then your battery is NOT "dead", (not totally drained).
Do NOT check by seeing if you can see your headlights, as they drain power a huge amount more than interior bulbs. Actually, if you suspect a battery problem, the first thing you should do is select your headlight switch to All Off.

If you push the start button (ie: turn the key), and you hear a clicking sound, (and if you can see other lights from your car, dim), then it' probably that your batter doesn't have the power to turn the starter motor. The clicking sound is the starter solenoid trying to connect the starter motor to the engine flywheel so that it can turn over the engine and begin the starting process. But the starter motor needs a LOT of power. Only for a few seconds, but it's a lot. If the battery's charge is below a level where it can provide that, then the starter motor doesn't turn, and the starter solenoid retracts, giving you those click-pause-click sounds.

I hope you carry starter-jumper cables. Try jumping your battery from a good, running car. But make sure you keep a hand on the starter cable. If it gets too hot to hold, then your car is sucking too much power and you should disconnect immediately, and look for other solutions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts