BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, Bimmerfestians!

I bought a 2008 preowned 328xi wagon 3 years ago -- have put 65K on it. While I love the wagon, too often I drive around solo, a waste of space/gas. I've looked at the X1 x28i, and thought it was...nice...but rather spartan and old-tech in the interior (i.e, 2014 X1 looks just like 2008 328xi wagon). Then, I found out about the 328i xDrive GT...

(my bucket list includes an ED, and my husband and I have already planned a trip to Europe -- arrival right before our Memorial Day in Frankfurt...)

...We live in a cold, snowy climate; drive a lot (20K+/year), and we do occasionally haul junk around...GT, wagon, or X1? Do we have enough time to order ED? Where can I find ED delivery pricing? Who is the best dealer in upstate NY/western-central MA or CT?

Thanks!

·
Save the manuals!
677 Posts
Good day, Bimmerfestians!
...We live in a cold, snowy climate; drive a lot (20K+/year), and we do occasionally haul junk around...GT, wagon, or X1? Do we have enough time to order ED? Where can I find ED delivery pricing? Who is the best dealer in upstate NY/western-central MA or CT?

Thanks!
Driving 20k miles/year, the diesel AWD wagon sounds like the ideal vehicle for you. A good dealer should accept 11% below US MSRP for European delivery, before incentives. Those GT things have more space than the wagon, but IMHO they are ungainly and their time will be short-lived, surviving only as the butt of jokes among BMW enthusiasts for years to come. The wagon is a classic body style that will never look dated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. Where can I find ED delivery price list for the wagon? Does anyone know of a great dealer in my neck of the woods (upstate NY near Albany, western/central MA or CT)?

·
Save the manuals!
677 Posts
I believe ED MSRP is 7% below US MSRP. "ED Invoice" numbers are harder to find, but most people doing ED can negotiate between 9% and 11% below US MSRP on ED. Someone else will have to answer your question about dealers, but you could start by emailing some local dealers asking if they would be willing to sell you an ED 328d xDrive Wagon for 10% below US MSRP.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think the strategy most 'Festers describe is +$ from ED invoice, not -% from US MSRP, with the going reasonable rate these days being +$750 or $1000 from ED Invoice.
If you're looking for a dealer who is versed with ED in your area and familiar with the Invoice + pricing model, I'd do a search in the European Delivery subforum, maybe review the ED wiki (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_European_Delivery) and then solicit the input of others if the quest doesn't turn up what you're looking for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, hansluc. You must know winter driving all TOO well ;-)

I know everyone wants to dump on the 328i xDrive GTs, but they fit the bill for me in many ways. But, while the 500 series GT was kinda klunky looking, this new series seems to be quite a bit more, um, in proportional.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pricing both MSRP and Invoice for ED are available at http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/Config.aspx It's a great source but check it against www.bmwusa to make sure it is up to date. The ED MSRP is 7% less than the USA price for the basic car. All of the options are the same price for ED or the USA. Check out the ED section of Bimmerfest which can answer all of your questions http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
You may not be within the window to order an ED for delivery the end of May? You should check with your dealer asap. I did an ED deal with a great dealer in the Boston area. If you want the name and contact PM me.
As for your car selection .... I have a new wagon and love it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pricing both MSRP and Invoice for ED are available at http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/Config.aspx It's a great source but check it against www.bmwusa to make sure it is up to date. The ED MSRP is 7% less than the USA price for the basic car. All of the options are the same price for ED or the USA. ...
Sorry, but BMWConfig configurator hasn't been updated in a while (there's a thread in Ask-a-dealer, iirc). The other info of 7% off US Invoice (which itself is about 8% off US MSRP), and options at same invoice (about 9% off) is mostly right though.

·
Registered
567 Posts

I know everyone wants to dump on the 328i xDrive GTs, but they fit the bill for me in many ways. But, while the 500 series GT was kinda klunky looking, this new series seems to be quite a bit more, um, in proportional.
We purchased our GT for its versatility which has been very handy. The primary features that we enjoy are xDrive (our snow car with winter tires), rear seat leg room equal to a 7 series, and the ability to carry more by putting the rear seat down. It handles better than the 2013 X3 that it replaced but not as well as a 3 series sedan does. Very nice car, and as you said, the 3 GT is better proportioned than the 5 GT.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Don't listen to the GT bashing and go by your own taste. There are quite a few people who love the individual style and versatility of the 3GT. Most who are criticizing its style have never even seen a well-equipped 3GT up close. Have fun with your choice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can't go wrong with either 3gt or 3wagon... I've got my eyes on the GT because it can be had with the i6 engine, but if your happy with the turbo, then either will do. Get what you like! Don't let on GT bashers sway you!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
241 Posts
Agreed - the 3GT is a worthy car and fits a "use case" (as the marketers at BMW like to say). I personally think the 3GT and the X1 would be more compelling with a diesel engine - then it could truly be an apples/apples comparison. But as such, you have to make allowances for the deficit in fuel efficiency and balance that with the spatial pro/cons of the greenhouse for your needs. For some, the 3GT's copious back seat and higher driving position seals the deal. For others, the X1's nimbleness and lower base pricing wins out and makes up for it having the smallest interior of the three.

It's all about what you like/need/want! Based on the original post discussing wasted space/gas but also a less than fuzzy feeling about the X1's spartan interior - I think the wagon is what you'd probably lean toward. I don't see how the GT is any less of a waste of space/gas than your 2008 328xiT, given than it has even more space (the X1 is roughly the same dimensions as your current car, so that should make the 3GT feel cavernous) and just a bit better gas mileage (22 city/33 hwy MPG per EPA). I really did give the 3GT a long look, sat in it to soak the cabin atmospherics in, drove it - and I had the feeling it was too big (for me, anyway!), having more space than needed and less than optimal fuel efficiency compared to the diesel wagon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts