BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me. Yesterday I put a deposit down on a 2002 330Ci M Sport Semi-Auto. The thing is, when it gets to 5k revs, there is a funny resonating sound from just in front of the passenger. Has anyone experienced this before, or perhaps could give me an indication as to what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Chad. aka. Doobs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No!

We went for a test drive and everything seemed spot on, until the car hit 5k in revs. At which time this "noise" - resonnance sound, came from in front of the passenger.

Chad - aka Doobs

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Chad - aka Doobs: can you further enlighten us as to what this noise sounds like? Does the car feel "not right" or is it just a noise?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Doobrey said:
No!

We went for a test drive and everything seemed spot on, until the car hit 5k in revs. At which time this "noise" - resonnance sound, came from in front of the passenger.

Chad - aka Doobs
Well, if the noise is coming from in front of the passenger... maybe he/she is snoring?

How's your driving? Grandma like, or nascar like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car "feels" alright,

The sound is very clearly in front of the passenger, possibly from the window wiper (it might be this) or possibly inside the engine bay. It sounds like a metallic buzz (best way that I can describe it). It only happens when the car hits 5000 revs, up until that point you can't hear it at all. The sounds comes in quietly, then gets louder, until the gear change.

Hmmm..not sure how else to describe it.

Doobs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, my driving style varies. 60% of the time I cruise along with the cruise control set. But there are times when I go mad and want the performance out of the car. For example, if I want to pass a slow car quickly, then I would kick down let the revs ride and it will change automatically.

Doobs

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Sort of a resonance? Like you would hear if a bit of metal shielding (flat thin metal) were slightly loose or something? Hard to say without more investigation...would it be worthwhile to have a (trusted) independent mechanic have a quick look?

You can spend a lot of your hard-earned money on a post-warranty 330Ci; a pre-purchase mechanical inspection (presumably at your own expense) could be wise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LMC said:
You can spend a lot of your hard-earned money on a post-warranty 330Ci; a pre-purchase mechanical inspection (presumably at your own expense) could be wise.
This man speaks the truth. If I had to do my PPI over again, I'd get the expensive one done at BMW ($300+). As long as you have a good shop do a thorough job, though, should be fine. Maybe they can tell you what that noise is, too. I got one done for a little more than 100 bucks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys...I made a decision and bought her...she is lovely.

A bit more information, it only makes the sound in 2nd/3rd gear at 5.5k revs

It sounds like its coming from in front of the passenger...Further inspection indicates that it's coming from the resevoir that is there. I assume this is the coolant, and therefore the coolant pump that is making the sound. So the question is, does this sound right? How much to replace a coolant pump?

Doobs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe that the double Vanos system gets in faction at about 5k revs.But since it only happens with the second gear,I don't think thats it.Are you sure the sound doesn't exist in every other gear?It could also be the classic noise that every BMW with an engine over 2000cc produces.I'd get it checked in a dealer..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fixed!!!!

Okay Guys,

Just to help anyone else out who may have had the same problem as me, the buzzing/rattling sound that appeared to come from in front of the passenger was due to a bracket connected to the alarm.

BMW servicing was great, they stripped bits of off the car until they could identify the issue.

Thought I would share the solution.

Thanks,

Doobs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts