BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
330 Convertible - Black or Gray Interior?

Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a 330 convertible, Titanium Silver is first choice Steel Gray is second (any recommendations), but i am having trouble deciding on the color of the interior. Gray interior is fine but I like the overall look of the black, I live in Santa Barbara, CA and wonder if the black leather will heat up much more than the grey.

Any input is appreciated.

Max.

ps: I saw a 2002 M3 convertible............it is sooooo sweet....almost tempted to go with one of those.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the monochromatic look, so if the exterior color is silver, I'd personally choose black for the interior. There's a steel gray/gray Cic in the area, and the car looks terrific.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same dilemma, although gray green was in the running for a while. I like contrast as well, so if you go TSilver, get a black interior (I had that in my last BMW, and it was great). I ultimately decided to order Steel Gray with a black interior, and it looks sharp, especially with the wood trim if you get the PP...

·
5,820 Posts
I like both. The wood shows up nicer against the grey interior but silver/black with the aluminum trim, I think, is great. Here's mine FWIW and if you click my sig you'll see many more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Steel grey is sweet. That's what I've got. So many people have titanium silver. As for interior I say go with grey too. If you want a little more excitement get black floormats instead of the grey ones. It looks really cool.

Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quote:
"posted by eboller: Steel grey is sweet. That's what I've got. So many people have titanium silver"

I agree there are too many Tintanium Silvers out there, but the color just shines in the sunlight, i am wondering if the Steel Gray will be dull looking.

Max

·
5,820 Posts
Max said:
quote:
"posted by eboller: Steel grey is sweet. That's what I've got. So many people have titanium silver"

I agree there are too many Tintanium Silvers out there, but the color just shines in the sunlight, i am wondering if the Steel Gray will be dull looking.

Max
Never dull, but maybe not as brilliant.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've just come through a HOT summer in Philly with a black interior and I'd go with black again.

There were a couple of rare occasions when the temperature got into the high 90's where it was uncomfortable to have the top down, but otherwise I had no problems. Luckily, the car has a pretty good A/C system which helps quite a bit when things get hot and humid. I imagine that a grey interior would have helped a bit on hot days, but despite a summer of record heat around here I never felt the interior color to be much of a liability when it comes to comfort. The only times I felt compelled to put the top up were days that were so unbearable that no interior color could have helped.

When it comes to appearance, the black interior is my favorite by a long shot. If you get the aluminum trim there is a great contrast and a very sporty look. The wood against black, which I have, provides a very luxurious, "expensive" look. Also, the aluminum trim up around the headrests contrasts well with the black leather and looks very sharp. I think silver or steel grey would match up beautifully with a black interior.

If you don't have much of a preference in terms of looks between black and grey I'd go with grey since it will be a bit cooler. But if you really prefer the look of black, I wouldn't worry too much about the heat issue. I think the choice of interior color only has a marginal impact on comfort, and whether that margin matters has a lot to do with your local climate. If you see mid-to-high 90's with any regularity you might want to weigh the comfort issue more heavily.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Max said:
quote:

Max
Steel Grey shines quite nice with a couple coats of Zaino on it. =). Anyway, it's sunny right now and my car stands out more than my friend's titanium silver at the moment. However, mine is probably cleaner and I also have Zaino on whereas I don't think she has anything on (wax--I'm not talking clothes here!).

The cool thing about Steel Grey is it takes on a chameleon appearance in different lights. In sunlight it generally has a very metallic color. In overcast skies it takes on an entirely different appearance. Titanium looks pretty much the same no matter what. Hey--it isn't a bad look and by all means if you like the look better I say go for it. I've definitely gotten kudos from other people on the steel grey color choice though.

Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decisions.........decisions..........AAAHHHHHHHHHH.

I think i might be seriously considering the M3 convertible.

Thanx again for the input, i don't think i can go wrong with either exterior color, Titanium Silver or Steel Gray. I like the Silver/Black and Gray/Gray combos.

Max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts