Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires came on your OEM 17" wheels? What size were they? Are you happy w/ them? Specifically, I'm looking for an all-season tire/touring tire that doesn't wander or tramline on the highway, is reasonably good in the wet, provides decent treadlife and is reasonable good in spirited driving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Conti Touring came standard on my Styling 73 17 rims with 2002 330i non-sport (rims/tires for sale currently, check classifieds). They are very quiet, decent performance. I actually liked the styling of rims very much although they can be a hassle to clean. I switched to ContiSport on M68 rims and... it is like a night and day experience. It is as if I bought a different car. They are much tighther in turns and quick highway lane changes, dsc hardly ever kicks in. The ride is MUCH harsher. IT feels as if the entire suspension has been changed. You feel every road bump (especially here in California!) I hear that ContiTouring last pretty long time. They definitely offer less traction then Conti Sport. The ride is MUCH more comfortable and very quiet though. After I changed the rims/tires I discovered a lot of squeeking in my car that was not there before. I don't regret though. The performance difference is well worth it. Now, if I could only change my seats to sport ones...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Michael330 said:
I don't regret though. The performance difference is well worth it. Now, if I could only change my seats to sport ones...
Tell me: why didn't you just get the SP in the first place? Bought a car off the lot perhaps? :confused:

·
10,856 Posts
I have the same wheels and had the same tires. Type 73s with ContiTouring Contacts in 205/50 HR17. The ContiTourings were loud, harsh, wandered and had a HUGE dead spot in the steering. I switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE950s and am MUCH happier. The dead spot is minimized, they respond a LOT better and they hardly wander at all. I drove from Boston to DC today and felt quite relaxed. I also recommend that you try the M3 steering wheel. The added heft and thicker grip makes it even easier to hold the car straight.

The ContiTourings also have terribe treadwear in my experience... I wore mine out in about 10.5K. The reviews on TireRack suggest that treadlife is pretty poor, too.

·
10,856 Posts
I forgot to say that the ContiTourings had downright frightening rain traction. The RE950s, OTOH, are very good in the wet. I can't say ANYTHING good about the Continentals from any viewpoint. They just plain suck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mystikal said:

Tell me: why didn't you just get the SP in the first place? Bought a car off the lot perhaps? :confused:
I know, I know. I didn't know as much as I know now when I was buying it. Someone ordered 330i non-SP and backed out. It was the color I wanted and the dealer gave me a pretty good discount (3000 off MSRP) and the wait was only 1 month. I thought the suspension is the same... Since then I put M68s, aero kit and M3 wheel. I do regret not getting SP . You really get a lot for very little money. Well, let it be a lesson for everyone who reads it. By the way, all new 2002 330i I've seen in the Bay Area were non SP :dunno

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I have the same wheels and had the same tires. Type 73s with ContiTouring Contacts in 205/50 HR17. The ContiTourings were loud, harsh, wandered and had a HUGE dead spot in the steering. I switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE950s and am MUCH happier. The dead spot is minimized, they respond a LOT better and they hardly wander at all. I drove from Boston to DC today and felt quite relaxed. I also recommend that you try the M3 steering wheel. The added heft and thicker grip makes it even easier to hold the car straight.

The ContiTourings also have terribe treadwear in my experience... I wore mine out in about 10.5K. The reviews on TireRack suggest that treadlife is pretty poor, too.
My wife is from Olney, Maryland. You guys have the best highway surfaces I've seen in my life. It looks as if they redo them every year. How can you complain at all???? But seriously, dsc was kicking in quiet a bit with Conti Tourings compared to Conti Sport. They were loosing traction in really unpredictible situations. I did not notice unusually bad performance in rain/wet. And compared to Conti Sport they are very quiet and provide much softer ride. They also gave the car this floating feel at high speeds reminiscent of Japanese cars.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
2002 330xi with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

I got sport package so maybe these are different than non SP tires?

They are quiet, responsive and DSC has never kicked in once- maybe because all 4 wheels are grabbing???

Eventually I do plan on getting blizzaks for winter and moving to a wider tire for the summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FireFly said:
2002 330xi with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

I got sport package so maybe these are different than non SP tires?

They are quiet, responsive and DSC has never kicked in once- maybe because all 4 wheels are grabbing???

Eventually I do plan on getting blizzaks for winter and moving to a wider tire for the summer.

What he said.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Michael330 said:

I do regret not getting SP . You really get a lot for very little money. Well, let it be a lesson for everyone who reads it.
Have it, love it, don't leave the dealer without it. :p

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick-

The RE950s are currently top on my list of tires to consider--i'm glad that you also had a good experience w/ them-- your description is exactly what i was hoping for-- minimum wander, decent turn-in, comfortable on the highway. i already have the M3 wheel btw-- but am not happy w/ the contisports-- too much wandering, and vagueness on-center.

Thanks!

THanks to everyone else for giving me your tire impressions too. As long as i'm asking- did anyon every consider Sumitomo HTR+ -- they seem to be priced quite well nad get good reviews.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts