Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an opportunity to purchase a BMW certified 2004 330 xi M performance package with Montana Leather in Imola Red. It has 30,000 Km (Approx 24,000 Mi) Asking 42, 000 Canadian. I live in Montreal. In pristine condition. Already have a 2005 325i which my wife will drive. How much "fun" re: handling might I lose with xi vs i? Does the m package make a significant difference, especially with heavier car?
I test drove a2006 330i, but I didn't feel the cockpit was a s sporty or driver oriented as the E46

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I suspect the XI will take away more than the M performance package will give you back. I'd prefer a 330i sport package over an XI/M.

Here in the US, the M Performance Package (equivalent to the Performance Pkg/ZHP) isn't available on the XI.

·
BMWcoholic
388 Posts
In Canada there is no M Performance package for the XI. Your dealer is selling you an aero kit and saying its the performance package. Unfortunately in Canada there is no visible distinction between the M Sport Package and the M Performance Package. It kicks the crap out of the resale on the zhp as well. Unless you find someone who knows the difference they all think they are the same. Even the dealers seem confused about it.

Under the hood it gets you another 10 hp and 8 ft of torque. The redline is also about 300 rpm higher. On the road the extra power and shorter ratio transmission are the best thing short of an M3 with 4 doors.

I am certain that the XI didn't get the ZHP package. Check on the build sheet if you can get your hands on it. Also see if when the rev lmiiter kicks in - it should be just short of the 7K mark whereas the regular 330i is right after 6500.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy the car, I'm just saying that you should know what you are getting. As far as handling is concerned the ride height on the XI is higher, it will probably have 17 inch instead of 18 inch wheels and will understeer more than the zhp.

$42,000 is a good price on the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts