21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
JPinTO said:
#1: It looks aggressive

#2: It's fairly rare

#3: factory paint quality

It's obviously not an M3... front and side spoilers are completely distinct, no gills and different rear bumper with a normal exhaust. It's no M3 wannabe... it's exactly what it is-- a factory aero pkg.

Plus it's the only pkg in Canada that gives you M68's... I'd get it in a heartbeat.
To many eyes, the front air dam looks quite a bit like the M3's.

In any case, my beef with the M Sport package is less of what it includes, but more of what it doesn't. There aren't really any parts in there that increase performance besides the suspension, and the jury is still out on how much of a sports setup it is relative to the standard settings. $5k+ is a lot to spend on cosmetic upgrades. I think anymore than 3 digits and you should register at DTM and live happily ever after.

All my humble opinion, of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with jpinTO. It looks good and is clearly not an M3 look-a-like, although there are family similarities.

I have an Estoril Blue 325i sedan with M Sport Package II on order here in Aussie. I didn't like the cube either so ordered titanium silver trim. I plan to get that replaced with body colour trim asap.

Unfortunately I had to order the 325i as BMW Australia won't let us have the 330i sedan in a manual transmission - steptronic only! What a bunch of wankers!

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Threeup said:
I agree with jpinTO. It looks good and is clearly not an M3 look-a-like, although there are family similarities.

I have an Estoril Blue 325i sedan with M Sport Package II on order here in Aussie. I didn't like the cube either so ordered titanium silver trim. I plan to get that replaced with body colour trim asap.

Unfortunately I had to order the 325i as BMW Australia won't let us have the 330i sedan in a manual transmission - steptronic only! What a bunch of wankers!
Well, what are you waiting for!!?!?! Post them pics... let's see them!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Threeup said:
I'd love to send pics, but the car is on order. Check this - placed order 24 April - delivery not until Oct/Nov 2002!!! And you reckon some of you northern hemisphere types die waiting a few weeks!
Well, mine will be here in just over a month.

Trust me - lots of pics will be posted :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
209 Posts
TD330ci said:

Hey Andawry,

I asked this before, but no one seemed to know the answer. What exactly is diffferent about the Sport Suspension II?
They guy at my dealer's part 's counter said that the only difference is the springs (I presume stiffer).

Another point for those discussing the fact that the M-Sport Pkg is an M3 look alike or debating the cost... Keep in mind that in Canada the difference between a base 330Ci and an M3 is over $20K. The M-Sport Pkg (at $5K) is probably designed to provide an intermediate product at an intermediate price between these two extremes. I would have to say they have done a good job of adding a distinctive package with minimal additional cost (compared to the $20K premium you would pay for an M3). :thumb:

A couple of other differences not yet pointed out (I believe) is that the M-Sport Pkg includes a black roof liner (which is critical in a black car with a black interior if you ask me). The other minor detail is that the head-light surrounds are black (not titanium as with base 330Ci's). Overall, given the shadow-line trim, black head light surrounds and black lower rear bumper trim, the M-Sport Pkg was designed for a black car! :bigpimp:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Over here the M Sport Package II offers the following over standard:

68M wheels
Sport seats (not standard on sedan)
Aero pkg
anthacite headlining
sport suspension
unique foglights
M steering wheel (fat)
high gloss shadowline (gets rid of the revolting chrome strip around the windows which all sixes in our market have)
cube trim

It probably varies a bit from market to market, but to me it's great value. Best of all it's BMW warranted and BMW quality, unlike the dodgy quality I have encountered over the years with aftermarket stuff.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Just took a 330 Cab with M sport pkg out for an hour.

The black cube trim is FANTASTIC. I loved it. It blends in nicely with the black interior AND it shows no fingerprints or smudges. If you hate that trim, you will have a lineup of people wanting to trade for it!

I Think the MSport pkg @ $5k CDN is a great deal. Oh, and the M-sport pkg suspension is tighter than the regular sport suspension.

Cab's do nothing for me presonally, so the 330CIC was no quicker than my 323i. All that weight negates the extra ooomph of the 3.0L.

Guys, post your pics when you get them! :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
JPinTO said:
Just took a 330 Cab with M sport pkg out for an hour.

The black cube trim is FANTASTIC. I loved it. It blends in nicely with the black interior AND it shows no fingerprints or smudges. If you hate that trim, you will have a lineup of people wanting to trade for it!

I Think the MSport pkg @ $5k CDN is a great deal. Oh, and the M-sport pkg suspension is tighter than the regular sport suspension.

Cab's do nothing for me presonally, so the 330CIC was no quicker than my 323i. All that weight negates the extra ooomph of the 3.0L.

Guys, post your pics when you get them! :D
Oh, I will, trust me. In fact, you'll probably ask me to stop at some point :D

"Oh no, not another hood shot" :lmao: :lmao:

I too noticed the tight suspension - I took my wife for a test drive a few days later with a version that just had the Sport suspension, and it was noticably softer around corners.

Is it June yet? :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to hear that the M sport suspension is better than the standard sport suspension - my local dealer has no idea if there is any difference in setup between these two.

The point about weight is a good one. I have had my current ride for six years (an E36 323i manual sedan) and have surprised a lot of 328i's with it's speed in a traffic light GP. 328i Cabrio's or auto's are soundly beaten. An Eibach/Bilstein suspension added a few years ago only increased this effect - maybe it puts power to the ground better.

The best reason for the M Sport pkg, apart from price of course, is that the M3 only comes as a 2 door - I need four. When are they going to see sense and produce the M3 in a four door as well?

My first mod for my new 325i will be an LSD and changed diff ratio for better acceleration and grip out of tight corners. I don't exactly need a top speed of 237 Km/h, but I sure do want sharper rolling response. Anyone know if DSC III has any problems with an aftermarket fit of LSD? Maybe I should start a new string on this one.

Meantime, waiting is killing me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hey, my thread, so I'll hijack it :D

In Alberta, the front license plate it not required (right now). One of the nice things about the //MSport package is that the front license plate holder is not present - at least on the models that I've seen.

Sure makes the front of the vehicle look a lot nicer.

The first picture I posted (at the top of this thread) show show an Alberta-delivered car, and the others show a B.C. delivered car; both have the //M package.

What does everyone else think of this? Would they lose their front license plate holder if they could (I think I already know the answer)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your right about the absence of a front plate bracket on the M pkg. I hadn't noticed this but the M Brochure is very clear. It sure looks better & you are lucky not to need the front plate at all. It will look way better.

We can get Euro style plates or ones with a miniature front plate, I'll definitely go with the miniature now I know this.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.