BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am in the hunt for a CI....01 or 02.

Most that I've seen do not have the little antenna on the rear part of the roof. HOWEVER, when I go to the BMWUSA site under 330ci gallery, they show a car (presumably current year) that HAS the little antenna.

1) Is this really an antenna?
2) Is it on the 01? 02?
3) If not, do the cars have antennas within the glass? Do people have preferences?

Thanks for all the great input, all!

Best,
Lansing

Attachments

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Back in 1998 when the (model year 99) E46 cars were first released, all cars had the short antenna mast in your picture. For 2001, that was replaced by the "shark fin" antenna you may have seen, but the antenna is not fitted to all cars anymore, only those with cell phones.

The radio antennas are in the rear window glass (except cabrios.)

Of course, I'm sure there are any number of aftermarket cell phone antennas that could also be fitted.

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
the antenna that is used now is called a Diversity antenna and it is HORRIBLE for reception. I'd like to hear comments on how the pre 2001 antenna "shorty" mast one works with the cars audio system.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My car has the little antenna. Radio reception is great, but then again I have never compared it directly to an M54 E46 either. This is one of the few pics I have where the little thing is clearly visible:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts