BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought a Z3 and have been enjoying it so much that I haven't been driving my 2002 330 Ci. So a few weeks ago I cleaned it up good and put one of those Bavarian Auto covers on it and let it sit in my garage. (I live in MA.)

Then I started hearing these terrible stories of other guys who parked their cars for extended periods only to find that, instead of protecting their car, mice had moved in and done lots of damage.

So I read a few posts about the subject and thought I would buy some of those snap mouse traps and bait them with a little peanut butter. But wouldn't the smell of the peanut butter attract mice to come into the garage?

I wonder if it would be safe to just check each day for mice droppings?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. I suppose I may be a bit paranoid. I've gone away for weeks without worrying about the car. Could that be safe, but leaving the car for months be unsafe?

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Mr Blorry is the Resident Mouse Expert here. He's raised a few broods in his Bimmer. Surely he'll pop up shortly and offer advice on care and feeding... :rofl:

·
No User Serviceable Parts
1,464 Posts
Why thank you, thankyouverrmuch.
My fame precedes me.

I have no preemptive advice except to remove the fuel injector cover from the engine. It's a PITA, and DIYs abound, but the intake manifold is a great place for those buggers to build nests. Oh, and if you feel like it, although this is an even greater PITA, you could remove the insulation pad from the hood.

Once I removed my FI cover, they moved in under there, and now half of my pad is gone. Lemme go grab my camera, and I'll post some photos. Meanwhile, I have no experience with interior problems (yet).

Once they've arrived, there's this green death (looks like huge peas) available at the hardware stores that does a wonderful job in ending their lives.

·
1,464 Posts
That didn't take long. Gorgeous day out today. Early spring here in VA. Pollen hasn't arrived yet.

OK, as promised, photos of my engine minus the FI cover, and the damage done to my hood insulation by the mice...

Attachments

·
Bored Worker
822 Posts
In the past I had some issues with Mice in a mustang that was stored for a few years. Ultimately Mice moved in. I didn't want to poison them and end up with smelly mouse carcass in my car/garage so I implemented 2 seperate aggitators to move them out and keep them away.

1) I bought mothballs, put them in some pantyhose and place them inside the trunk, under the hood and in the interior- mice don't like that smell..

2) Peppermint extract- Mice hate that smell too...

Worked good, and sent the mice running.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I always keep a few traps in the garage (attached). If it attracts them, believe me they are seeking to get in your house or car. They like BMWs too you know. If you catch some, put more traps out. Keeps em from making in to your house or BMW too especially if the garage is attached. Once you stop catching, you will have cleared out your area for a while.

·
catso
3,161 Posts
The sticky traps work MUCH better than the spring ones. You can even release the critters, if you so desire. Vigilance and a tightly sealed garage are your best defenses. Oh yeah, if that doesn't work, run the engine in the garage until it fills up with carbon monoxide. It's a lesson that even the toughest, most determined mouse will never forget.

·
1,464 Posts
1) I bought mothballs, put them in some pantyhose and place them inside the trunk, under the hood and in the interior- mice don't like that smell..

2) Peppermint extract- Mice hate that smell too...

Worked good, and sent the mice running.
Yeah, humans don't like the mothball smell either. Makes your car smell like your grandmother's attic.

And if the peppermint sent the mice running, they'll be running back. They don't forget where cozy places are. And they'll bring their friends, meaning that later generations of mice will follow a familiar trail.

Traps are the only way to go. You have confirmed kills. If you catch them, and set them free, it has been found that mice can travel up to a mile back to an old nest.

They are nasty, disease-carrying pests, and they're no where near to being on anyone's endangered list. Kill 'em. See what they did to my hood insulation? What you can't see is that almost all of that nice, thick padding underneath is all gone.

That's about a $90 part if I choose to replace it. I'm glad it was there, else they may have decided to chew on wires instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts