BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know this isn't an direct apples to apples comparison. The Bimmer is a much more practical car, while the Nissan is alot more of a dedicated sports car.

However, as the 350Z gets closer to release, I'm seeing it more and more as an alternative to the 330 coupe. The performance for the money is much better, even at the same content level as the 330. I have to think that some of the guys on here have though about the 350Z in comparison to the 330, so I figured I put this out and get everyone's opinion.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
MikeW said:
Yes, I know this isn't an direct apples to apples comparison. The Bimmer is a much more practical car, while the Nissan is alot more of a dedicated sports car.

However, as the 350Z gets closer to release, I'm seeing it more and more as an alternative to the 330 coupe. The performance for the money is much better, even at the same content level as the 330. I have to think that some of the guys on here have though about the 350Z in comparison to the 330, so I figured I put this out and get everyone's opinion.
A better comparison is the G35 coupe, which is essentially Nissan's replacement for the old 2+2 300ZX. I haven't driven one yet, so I will reserve judgment, but based on the G35 sedan that I drove, it's going to be a hell of a product.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I saw a 350Z yesterday in Arlington VA. I was waiting at a red light as it crossed in front of me and went down a dead end road. I thought about following, but did not really care. In a month or two I figure they will be everywhere.

My guess is that it was the same one Teej found at Nissan HQ and posted pics of a few weeks ago. It was the same blue color and has a similar type of tag.

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Strong Sell

They have a strong sell with the "Track" Package with a LSD, and a set of Brembos plus a nice V6 for around $35K.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
I am interested in both G35 coupe and 350Z.

I would say G35 coupe is a better comparision for the 330CI since the G35 is more sport luxury and has a backseat. The Z has no backseat plus a big brace so not too functional.

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
CD-55 said:
I saw a 350Z yesterday in Arlington VA. I was waiting at a red light as it crossed in front of me and went down a dead end road. I thought about following, but did not really care. In a month or two I figure they will be everywhere.

My guess is that it was the same one Teej found at Nissan HQ and posted pics of a few weeks ago. It was the same blue color and has a similar type of tag.
CD-55.. You realize they make 120,000 BMW 3-series a year, and the 350Z will only see 15,000 production the first year right? And 8,000 of those are presold with the rest commanding a premium of 3-5K over sticker.. Then the 2nd year and on 30,000 production a year... So maybe in 5 years you'll see 1/6 of the amount of Z's on the road as you see BMW 3-series..

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Sorry, but no thanks.

The Z is a fast car, no doubt. The latest C&D will agree with me. But it also mentions how it plows the front end on extreme cornering.. No thanks.

A 330Ci with manual will be plenty quick, and handle better than a 350Z. Not to mention, it has a useable trunk and back seat. It also has the fit and finish only Germans bring to automaking. That solid door closing, solid constructions, quality materials. The 350Z will much like its Infiniti counterpart, be full of plastic.

I drove the G35. Very, VERY fast. But that's all it had going for it. I took a hard onramp as part of the testdrive and well... I don't slow down. But if I didn't, the rear end of this car was going to be plowed into the curb. TCS was on as well (though if I had my way, I would have disabled it and found an empty lot hehe). The G35's highest quality component is UNDOUBTEDLY the steering wheel.. solid construction, and firm grip, and good responsiveness. Was very impressed with that. But the IMMENSE plastic presense in the car -- the entire dash, much of the paneling.. not to mention the chinsy door handles and the lack of hydraulics on the hood.. Well... I'd spend that extra little money on the 330.

It's not ONLY how the car performs, but also how it feels. For me, I'm paying upwards of 35k for a car.. I want all the amenities and quality that should come in that price. BMW delivers. Infiniti has a long way to go. But at least their engines are definately there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey CD55 That was a base model 350Z in Daytona Blue. My friend John is getting a Track Model in Black. He went down to see it they had a bunch of people for a turn out he said. Their pictures of it are over on My350Z.com under General Topic I think. He said they should run a 13.8/9 at 102mph in the quarter mile. He came out spending around 37.5k all said and done. I think its a pretty sweet looking car :thumbup:

Can't wait till we all roll up to the local hang out with a 02 Transam WS6, 02 330Ci and a 03 350Z. :bigpimp: opps and Phil's wagon! I almost forgot :D

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Gah! What's with the reversed 350Z interior pic, and the strange ghostly image in the G35 pic? Sorry, I guess this post is a bit OT. :angel:

G

·
Okay, I just found a BIG complaint...

The gas pedal NEEDS to be anchored at the floor like all BMWs are. A suspended gas pedal just doesn't feel right. I know it's cheaper that way and many people don't care, but it's attention to details like that that make the difference to guys like me.

Damn!

This may sound pettty, but I'd rule it out for that alone.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
TD said:
Okay, I just found a BIG complaint...

The gas pedal NEEDS to be anchored at the floor like all BMWs are. A suspended gas pedal just doesn't feel right. I know it's cheaper that way and many people don't care, but it's attention to details like that that make the difference to guys like me.

Damn!

This may sound pettty, but I'd rule it out for that alone.
Yea my Audi gas pedal is suspended and it is a pain for heel/toe, the anchored BMW is a lot easier.

Hopefully the Z and G35 coupe pedals will at least be close together.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Back on topic...I haven't driven the G35 yet, and was actually considering it instead of ordering a 325i for my wife. However, we both want the 3-series, and the cash savings on the Infiniti just isn't worth it when you're paying $30k+.

Same would apply to the G35 coupe versus the 330Ci for me. The interior alone is worth the price difference.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Both the 350Z and the G35 Coupe look like great values for the money, but Nissan is deliberately reducing costs by using less than premium quality materials. IMHO, it's worth the price premium to get the higher quality interior and exterior materials used by BMW.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts