BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Bimmer brethren.

To any soft-top E46 330ci w/Performance Package convertible owners out there, I'd like to know what kind of gas mileage you're getting. I'd like to compare it to my own.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Not a 'vert, but my 4D is at 22.6 on the computer over the last 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Me & my 4-door ZHP gets in the 20-22 range in combined city/highway/commute mileage since new. Road trip was about 26-28 mpg. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? You guys are getting great gas mileage compared to mine. I do mostly city driving and I'm getting between 15.9-16.1 mpgs. No engine lights or warnings pop up on my dash to flag me of a problem and my local BMW dealer has told me time and again that that's just the way it is and that I'd be wasting my time if I took it in for a check up. I've even called BMW North America and asked that tech guy in Bimmer Magazine and Roundel and they've pretty much told me the same thing.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any advice you all might have for me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
bmRXer said:
Really? You guys are getting great gas mileage compared to mine. I do mostly city driving and I'm getting between 15.9-16.1 mpgs. No engine lights or warnings pop up on my dash to flag me of a problem and my local BMW dealer has told me time and again that that's just the way it is and that I'd be wasting my time if I took it in for a check up. I've even called BMW North America and asked that tech guy in Bimmer Magazine and Roundel and they've pretty much told me the same thing.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any advice you all might have for me.

Thanks in advance.
First off how are you computing the mileage? Computer? Or old fashioned "miles driven divided by gallons to fill up?

You can also check the computer by resetting (press and hold the end of the computer stalk when in MPG mode) then driving at a steady (say on a freeway/highway) pace. If you do not see signficantly better gas mileage than 16 mpg at 65 mph something is odd.

Do you have any puddles of gasoline where you park?

Lastly, the fun factor of driving a bimmer sometimes causes people to run the car to redline much of the time...if this describes your approach, your mileage indeed will vary...:bigpimp:

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
bmRXer said:

Thanks in advance.
Are you using premiun gas as recommended? Also, how many miles do you have on your car?

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
348 Posts
ktc said:
Same here. Around the 18-19 range.
About the same...18-20mpg in city driving on premium gas. I'm frequently in the 4k & up rpm range. My sedan now has 6500 miles. This engine seems particularly sensitive to heavy throttle - more so than the engine in my '00 528i sport which usually got ~22mpg. Must be the hotter cams in it.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
LDV330i said:
Are you using premiun gas as recommended? Also, how many miles do you have on your car?
Aha, there's the problem, he's not using ZHP gas...:bigpimp:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Yeah, I use nothing but premium and no, no gas puddles or anything like that. I'm going off of what the on-board computer says is my gas mileage; not the old-fashioned way of calculating it myself at every fill-up. The car has almost 5000 miles on it and it's an automatic transmission, not the manual. Do you guys think that's making a difference in my fuel economy?

Also, I've been told that the convertible weighs more than the coupe which could also be hurting my gas mileage.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
bmRXer said:
Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Yeah, I use nothing but premium and no, no gas puddles or anything like that. I'm going off of what the on-board computer says is my gas mileage; not the old-fashioned way of calculating it myself at every fill-up. The car has almost 5000 miles on it and it's an automatic transmission, not the manual. Do you guys think that's making a difference in my fuel economy?

Also, I've been told that the convertible weighs more than the coupe which could also be hurting my gas mileage.

What do you guys think?
I use the mpg that I used to get in my 318ti as reference to judge my mileage on my 330i. The 318ti with 1.9 l engine, 138 HP, driven in the exact same fashion would give me 22 mpg in the summer with A/C on, and 24 mpg in winter w/o A/C. So I am happy with the mileage of 18.5 in a heavier car that has a 55% larger engine and close to 100 HP more and can go 0-60 in 3 seconds less. :D

Without having a benchmark similar to this it is very hard to say if you should be getting better mileage and if something is wrong with your car. Those people that claim to be getting more that 20 mpg may drive more highway miles, floor it less, etc so it is very hard to say why I do not approach their mileage.

Another question: is your transmission set to Sport mode? :dunno:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Almost 20 mpg on my 4-door with mostly stop-and-go freeway driving (commute) and
while jumping on it as much as I've been allowed to during the break-in period.
My car has about 1200 miles on it and I have noticed that I gained about 1-2 mpg
(according to the computer) since it was new. It seems like the engine
is loosening up a bit.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
bmRXer said:
The car has almost 5000 miles on it and it's an automatic transmission, not the manual. Do you guys think that's making a difference in my fuel economy?

Having an automatic transmission and being a convertible (weight) lowers your mileage compared to a manual sedan/coupe. The published figure for your car is 18/25 mpg. You say you drive mostly in the city and get 16 mpg. If by "in the city," you mean mostly low-speed, stop and go (traffic, traffic lights, stop signs, etc.), yes, your mile will be a little lower than published.

Seems normal to me, what you're getting. Get out to a highway and reset your mileage calculator and see if you're getting a decent number of 25+ mpg while cruising.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
20mpg in the city and about 27 in the highway. Today i took a 200mile round trip and averaged 29 mpg on the freeway with the a/c on cruising between 80-85 mph. These cars perform very well and are fuel efficient. Verts weigh a little more so it might differ from sedans and coupes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LDV330i said:
I use the mpg that I used to get in my 318ti as reference to judge my mileage on my 330i. The 318ti with 1.9 l engine, 138 HP, driven in the exact same fashion would give me 22 mpg in the summer with A/C on, and 24 mpg in winter w/o A/C. So I am happy with the mileage of 18.5 in a heavier car that has a 55% larger engine and close to 100 HP more and can go 0-60 in 3 seconds less. :D

Without having a benchmark similar to this it is very hard to say if you should be getting better mileage and if something is wrong with your car. Those people that claim to be getting more that 20 mpg may drive more highway miles, floor it less, etc so it is very hard to say why I do not approach their mileage.

Another question: is your transmission set to Sport mode? :dunno:
No. I'll occassionally put it in Sport mode but it's in regular mode most of the time. Also, my commute to work is 14 miles round trip always on city streets. I don't drive it on the highway nearly as much as I do on city streets just b/c most of the places I need to get to are nearby and I don't need to take the freeway.

I appreciate your insights.

·
Registered
309 Posts
IMO, it depends on the style of driving more than on anything else. Here is what I am getting (20K miles, MPG improved after 5-10K noticably):

1. Track: 10-14 mpg
2. Spirited canyon driving (2d and 3d, rpm between 3K and the redline): 15-18 mpg
3. Canyon cruising in traffic (no lights, 35-50 mph) - 25 mpg
4. Freeway cruising at a constant speed ~60-70 mph -- over 30 (~32) mph

:drive:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.