·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't that be cool? :D

Style of a coupe.
All weather usefulness of an X.
I'd love one :)

It's a pity that I don't work at BMWNA, otherwise something like that and 330iT would definitely hit the market :p

Next time, vote for me ;)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
rost12 said:
Wouldn't that be cool? :D

Style of a coupe.
All weather usefulness of an X.
I'd love one :)

It's a pity that I don't work at BMWNA, otherwise something like that and 330iT would definitely hit the market :p

Next time, vote for me ;)
Sorry rost12, but that's called marketing... How many people do you honestly think would buy a Cxi? :p I know I wouldn't... Anyway, I think I see where you're coming from (literally = x would come in handy in Toronto's winter... ;))

330iT??? Dude, that x is a perfect fit here, not in the coupe... :p

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many ppl would by an AWD coupe?
A4 cabrio! I believe it's coming out with AWD, so time will tell :)

I can see where you are comming from, you don't need and X even on a 4-dr, let alone coupe :)

Marketing...ok :) Market segmentation -> niche market :) Hey, I'm a niche :) Gimme my 330CiX! :lmao:
Oh, and X on a T - of course! I just forgot to type it up.

All I'm saying is give us more choice! It's not like bimmer's AWD system is in any way sophisticated, from what I gather. Hell, I want 5 and 7 series with X too!

Dunno...I'm getting ready for my finals, maybe my brain is out of whack :confused:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
DougDogs said:
Audi's A4 cabrio is FWD only..unfortunatly cutting the top off removes too much frame rigidity for Audi's AWD system.

AWD in the 3 series coupe....I'll be first in line for one of those.
I think rost12's right. A4 Cabrio 3.0 - Quattro. A4 Cabrio 1.8T (2003) - FWD.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd be happy enough with an Xi with any sort of real SP. Body roll is really disgusting at this point for a bmw. :cry:

When i get into my dad's Boxter and my friends M3/4 i want to trade my car in for something with better handling. After driving my dad's new 745i (yes, he got the E65), i am surprised by how well it handles - that dynamic suspension system is pretty impressive. Instead i'm "stuck" with a suspension befitting a lincoln :bawling:

·
Registered
182 Posts
joes325xi said:
I'd be happy enough with an Xi with any sort of real SP. Body roll is really disgusting at this point for a bmw.
The lack of a real sport suspension for the xi is really the only complaint that I have about my car. Okay, maybe it could use some more storage space too, but that's another story.

My previous car was a Subaru 2.5GT. The GT was Subaru's attempt at a sporty all-wheel drive sedan. It was a very nice car for the money and it had far less body roll than my new xi. It is possible to have a firm suspension and still be able to get around in the snow.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I agree that non-sport suspension on X models is stoopid, it is fixable with some suspension mods. On the other hand, total LACK of X on anything other that 3 series sedans/tourings and X5 is just dumb, imho.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
I hate marketing!
/me throws away a book on marketing.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed328Ci - nah, that would be overkill :tsk:

I'm not asking for THAT much ;) Just a ... hand-built one-of-a-kind 330CiX send to me at no charge by BMWNA :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
awd330 said:
My previous car was a Subaru 2.5GT. The GT was Subaru's attempt at a sporty all-wheel drive sedan. It was a very nice car for the money and it had far less body roll than my new xi. It is possible to have a firm suspension and still be able to get around in the snow.
My girlfriend just got a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (same thing as the WRX but diff't engine) - although it feels a little slow and not quite as refined as my car, there is definately less roll when i drive it hard (to her chagrin). I agree, i don't think that a firm suspension and AWD are mutually exclusive - maybe BMW will learn that - or maybe next time i'll get an S4.... :D

rost12 - while suspension is fixable aftermarket, it costs an arm and a leg to buy the components and have them installed by a shop. Way more than it would cost us to get bmw's sports package and for them to still turn a profit on it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joes325xi - I am aware of the costs and I'm not defending BMW on this point, hence this thread :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey rost12 - i'm not attacking you at all bro!
Just venting/voicing my frustrations more than anything else. Even to just get a new set of springs (alone) to lower the height for aesthetics and more importantly to decrease roll, it would cost ~$250 for the springs (which is actually reasonable), but another $400-$600 for installation! And that doesn't even ensure that handling will be improved that much. Otherwise, need to go to a Bilstein PSS system, and those are pretty expensive - esp after installation. :tsk:

I'd also agree with you that a 330cix would be awesome - no one ever gets into my back seats and the coupe is better looking IMHO - but the practicality that the AWD affords is unfortunately more important in these snowy climates.

G

·
Am I the only guy here who think, if you want AWD, get an Audi?

I mean, the BMW driving feel that we all supposedly appreciate is largely due to the cars being RWD. Sure the AWD has a rear bias, but it's not the same. It can't be.

As AWD systems go, the Audi's in superior and you can actually get a true sport suspension with the Audis.

It seems clear to me: RWD=BMW, AWD=Audi

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
I agree.

Seems like BMW positioned its AWD for almost psuedo offroading with the lack of true sport package. Kind of odd since they brag about maitaining the RWD feel??? I never heard of RWD being good for snow, dirt, etc, I think you would want 50/50 like Audi.

jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.