BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dynamic handling on my current 328xi which I really like when I let 'er rip in rural areas and twisty roads. If I get a 2021 330e I can get DHP only if I select the M Sport model, which I may not necessarily want.

However, I believe there is a Sport mode on the regular build of the 330 as well. In my current car, if I drop the chassis to Sport, the engine revs higher and the car takes corners and turns with much less roll, which I really like.

My question is, how does Sport mode in a regular build compare with Adaptive Suspension in the M Sport build? Meaning, what does Sport provide you in the regular build, and what does getting Adaptive Suspension add to that?

Bonus question: are Comfort+ and Sport+ available to owners of the regular build and configurable either through the console buttons or on the control display screen? Or do I have to get DHP on the M Sport to get that?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Without the adaptive suspension then driving modes will control the steering feel, throttle and transmission but not the suspension. The adaptive suspension will provide the sportiest and also the most comfortable ride, depending on what mode you are in.

Reactions: chasfh

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without the adaptive suspension then driving modes will control the steering feel, throttle and transmission but not the suspension. The adaptive suspension will provide the sportiest and also the most comfortable ride, depending on what mode you are in.
Thanks for the insight.

Do you have a feel for whether Comfort with adapative suspension/DHP is a different (more comfortable) ride than Comfort without it? Seems to me it would be the same. Is Comfort+ available only with DHP?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for the insight.

Do you have a feel for whether Comfort with adapative suspension/DHP is a different (more comfortable) ride than Comfort without it? Seems to me it would be the same. Is Comfort+ available only with DHP?
The comfort will definitely be better with adaptive versus the passive suspension. I have read that Comfort+ is not available unless you code it in but don't remember if that was for the 3 Series or not.

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The comfort will definitely be better with adaptive versus the passive suspension. I have read that Comfort+ is not available unless you code it in but don't remember if that was for the 3 Series or not.
Just so I understand, are you saying that Comfort mode in a car with DHP feels smoother, more "comfortable", than in a car without it? If so, how does that work? It seems logical to me that Comfort would be the same for both and Sport would be the difference. Is there a physical reason for this?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just so I understand, are you saying that Comfort mode in a car with DHP feels smoother, more "comfortable", than in a car without it? If so, how does that work? It seems logical to me that Comfort would be the same for both and Sport would be the difference. Is there a physical reason for this?
I'm talking about the M adaptive suspension. It definitely provides a more comfortable ride then the passive suspension and a more sportier/firmer ride than the passive suspension. Not sure why you would think one mode is different and not the other. It can make adjustments to provide the comfort and the firmness when needed.

Edit: Here is a thread with a few comments regarding the two: Which is more comfortable on 18s - standard or adaptive

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm talking about the M adaptive suspension. It definitely provides a more comfortable ride then the passive suspension and a more sportier/firmer ride than the passive suspension. Not sure why you would think one mode is different and not the other. It can make adjustments to provide the comfort and the firmness when needed.

Edit: Here is a thread with a few comments regarding the two: Which is more comfortable on 18s - standard or adaptive
I don't know what to think because I know literally nothing about this, so I'm not thinking or assuming anything.

What my question is, so I have two choices in my car. I can either take the standard suspension, or I can upgrade to DHP in which I get the adaptive suspension. Both choices feature a Comfort mode.

What I thought I was understanding from your post was that the Comfort mode in a car with DHP/adaptive suspension is smoother, more comfortable, etc., then Comfort mode in a car with standard suspension. Did I understand you correctly? That's what I am trying to get at. I appreciate your insights. Thanks for your patience on this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't know what to think because I know literally nothing about this, so I'm not thinking or assuming anything.

What my question is, so I have two choices in my car. I can either take the standard suspension, or I can upgrade to DHP in which I get the adaptive suspension. Both choices feature a Comfort mode.

What I thought I was understanding from your post was that the Comfort mode in a car with DHP/adaptive suspension is smoother, more comfortable, etc., then Comfort mode in a car with standard suspension. Did I understand you correctly? That's what I am trying to get at. I appreciate your insights. Thanks for your patience on this.
Your understanding is correct, Comfort mode will be more comfortable with the Adaptive M suspension than it will be with the standard suspension. Also, Sport mode will be sportier/firmer with the Adaptive M suspension than it will be with the standard suspension.

Edit: I should add that your understanding of the suspension options is not correct. You have three choices: standard, Adaptive M or DHP (which includes Adaptive M). Adaptive M and DHP are options.

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your understanding is correct, Comfort mode will be more comfortable with the Adaptive M suspension than it will be with the standard suspension. Also, Sport mode will be sportier/firmer with the Adaptive M suspension than it will be with the standard suspension.
Great, thanks!

Edit: I should add that your understanding of the suspension options is not correct. You have three choices: standard, Adaptive M or DHP (which includes Adaptive M). Adaptive M and DHP are options.
To get Adaptive M, the 330e Build Your Own forces me to take the entire DHP package, not just Adaptive M. Give it a try: Build Your Own Car: Luxury Car Customizer by BMW USA

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe you can get adaptive M suspension as a stand-alone option on the 340 because the 340 already has some of the features of DHP as standard equipment. On the 330’s the adaptive suspension is only available as part of the DHP.

Bruce

·
Registered
701 Posts
I believe you can get adaptive M suspension as a stand-alone option on the 340 because the 340 already has some of the features of DHP as standard equipment. On the 330’s the adaptive suspension is only available as part of the DHP.

Bruce
The 330i does not require you to get DHP in order to get the Adaptive M suspension. It is a standalone option if you get the MSport package.

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Edit: Just saw the footnote in the Adaptive M option that it requires ordering DHP, not sure why they have it listed as a separate option.
Lazy web admin.

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Build Your Own is any indication, I have become aware that under no circumstances on any 3-series model is Adaptive M Suspension available without the M Sport trim.

That's disappointing, but is there a reason why? Is the logic that, if you have 18" wheels you don't really need Adaptive M because the ride will be smooth enough, but if you have 19" wheels you have a greater need for Adaptive M? That's the only way I can logic into the decision on this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If Build Your Own is any indication, I have become aware that under no circumstances on any 3-series model is Adaptive M Suspension available without the M Sport trim.

That's disappointing, but is there a reason why? Is the logic that, if you have 18" wheels you don't really need Adaptive M because the ride will be smooth enough, but if you have 19" wheels you have a greater need for Adaptive M? That's the only way I can logic into the decision on this.
That is correct. I thought that was standard for all models but have not checked. Generally logic has nothing to do with the option/package decisions, they are marketing and production driven. ;)

·
Playin' With Your Head
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Generally logic has nothing to do with the option/package decisions, they are marketing and production driven. ;)
Ah, yes, of course. My cynic glasses had slid down my nose when I posted. 😏

1 - 16 of 16 Posts