BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I've been in the market for a used BMW. I've mostly been paying attention to e46s, with some time spent looking at e39s. I haven't given much thought to the e90s, but these recent ads have caught my attention.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/658966968.html
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=239928180&dealer_id=58050567&car_year=2006&model=330I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92705&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=72
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=242845359&dealer_id=55919913&car_year=2006&model=330I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92705&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=2
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=244964002&dealer_id=79659&car_year=2006&model=330I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92705&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=23

I also saw a 2006, 6 speed, 26k miles, with sport and premium package with the extended warranty for about $27k.

From what I've been seeing of the 2003-05 330is they are going between $17-23k with 50-70k miles on them. Seems to me that a 2006 might be the better investment due to the original factory warranty/maintenance, the upgraded look, the better performance, ect. I'm somewhat fearful of the first year bugs, but how has your 330 been holding up?

Also, with the majority of 330is being around $30k, do these numbers look suspicious? Or are the values dropping due to the economy, first year fears and the 335?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for ruining my day. I paid $31k for '06 330XI last November. It had 31k miles on it. They replaced my steering column last week under warranty (for the well known steering lock issue), but despite that and a few other warranty problems I had to beat down, it is a great car and solidly built.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I also saw a 2006, 6 speed, 26k miles, with sport and premium package with the extended warranty for about $27k.

From what I've been seeing of the 2003-05 330is they are going between $17-23k with 50-70k miles on them. Seems to me that a 2006 might be the better investment due to the original factory warranty/maintenance, the upgraded look, the better performance, ect. I'm somewhat fearful of the first year bugs, but how has your 330 been holding up?

Also, with the majority of 330is being around $30k, do these numbers look suspicious? Or are the values dropping due to the economy, first year fears and the 335?
There is nothing suspicious about $27K for a used 330 ( a three year old car at this point), with relatively low mileage (26-28K).
Mine has been flawless....except for the fact that I keep picking up nails with the run-flat tires and my friend broke the passenger-side cup holder.

Also, today I out-gunned a MazdaSpeed 6 off the line (very short run, I think he gave up, plus had his wife and a small kid in the car with him). So performance -wise, it still seems to be holding its own (@ 28K miles, MT, and new tires). :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd want to see maintenance records; if I were in your situation I might look for a 330i zhp instead because the 330i 2006s are the first E90 model and they certainly have more problems than later ones from what I have seen.

My 330i is an 2006 (2005 build date) with the sports package, heated seats, and the premium package. It has a 6 speed manual and approximatley 37,000 miles on it. Thus far I have had the following problems:
(1) Car has failed to start 5 times. BMW finally fixed the steering column which was to blame for the the issue. I had to get it towed each time which was inconvenient.
(2) Passenger side airbag and occupant sensor failed
(3) door handles were sticking and thus fixed under warranty
(4) passenger side (far side) cupholder no longer works (although I could be partially to blame)
(5) Headlight turning mechanism has failed
(6) Right headlight flickers (three trips to the dealer have failed to fix this problem)
(7) Brake light warning sensor goes on intermittently (brake fluid is not low and the pads are fine so I think it is due to a failed sensor)

I'd say look around and see if you can find an 05 330i ZHP. The E90 2006 330i is certainly a good car however it is prone to various faults and as a junior in college I have no idea how I will be able to afford the maintenance on my car once I am no longer under the protective wings of my parents. I also feel that the handling on the car is slightly numb at lower speeds at least when compared with my previous E36 328i and if you are looking for any sort of bragging rights, which I must admit I sometimes am, the 330i is not cutting it. Specifically, a V6 honda accord has more HP, more torque, and hits 60 just alittle slower (albeit with wicked torque steer and less admirable handling).

Ultimately, the E90 330i is a great car; it handles beautifully and the engine is a fantastic smooth revving piece of kit. All this being said, it is less reliable than one would hope (in my experience) and is less inspiring than the 335i in terms of straight line performance and exhaust note. If you get one and it is reliable you'll love it; if you buy one and it proves to be unreliable you'll constantly find yourself looking around for those dual exhaust cutouts on the back of every 3 series hoping one day to grab a 335i. My advice is either find an E90 330i that is somehow guaranteed to be reliable (extended warranty etc) or look for a 330i ZHP which from everything I have read is a stunning piece of equipment.

I do not mean to offend anyone with this post and obviously feel free to disagree, I wish you the best of luck in finding what you want.

·
Bimmerless
BMW G05 45e/Porsche Macan GTS/Ram 1500 Diesel
1,104 Posts
Hey guys, I've been in the market for a used BMW. I've mostly been paying attention to e46s, with some time spent looking at e39s. I haven't given much thought to the e90s, but these recent ads have caught my attention.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/658966968.html
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=239928180&dealer_id=58050567&car_year=2006&model=330I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92705&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=72
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=242845359&dealer_id=55919913&car_year=2006&model=330I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92705&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=2
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=244964002&dealer_id=79659&car_year=2006&model=330I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92705&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=23

Check out this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250882

Lots of feedback from 2006 e90 330 owners. Some with problems, but many (like myself) with no real issues. I'm actually glad we got the 2006 MY, since I'm still not 100% sold on the longevity of the 335 turbo engine yet. (And I have one of those as well.) The 2006 MY e90 is the highest power naturally aspirated e90 you can purchase, since your only other alternative is the 328.

·
Registered
274 Posts
FWIW, our E90 330i (12/05 build, custom ordered, took delivery 02/06) has been the most reliable car I've owned in 34 years of driving. It has had one warranty claim (sunroof position sensor which didn't effect anything but showed up on the iDrive display). It is fairly well optioned out too: prem pkg, sport pkg, cold weather pkg, PDC, iDrive/Nav, sat radio...of course it's a manual 6spd. It now has 38k miles on it, and we've been very pleased with it. It's my wife's daily driver as she wanted to get back to something smaller and more fun to drive after years of 5's and 7's.

I also have a 2003 zhp, and it has had many more warranty claims during it's trip to the current 49k miles. It is also showing a lot more wear on certain interior parts like the center console area.

·
BIG D BIMMERS
873 Posts
Hmm, this makes me think again about keeping my car when the lease is up. It has 6K miles on it and lease is up next may. I was planning on buying it at the $28.8K residual but now I don't even think it'll be worth $25K next May.:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
To the OP:
Buy it. From what I can tell I overpaid (by about a grand) for mine. I gave 32.5 for mine, 24K miles, MT, Hot seats, Premium, Sports, perfecto condition. Anyway with the 32.5 it included the maintenance to 100k. I've had very minor cosmetic issues w/ the interior; such as a passenger seat bracket cover coming loose, and the interior door handle squeeking.

In 15 years of driving and owning 9 cars this is the best it's been. :thumbup:

Best of luck-
crash

·
Registered
233 Posts
I haven't test driven the cars yet, so maybe my opinion would change, but I'm not that power hungry and I rather have the $6k and avoid any potential problems with the turbo. But again, I haven't driven it yet, so who knows :bigpimp:
30,000 minus 27,000 = $3000
:) Where do you get $6000

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Those links to the 335s for sale are high mileage cars.
The 330s the OP was looking for are average to low mileage.

A low mileage '07 335 would probably make up the $6000 difference,
if not more, depending on equipment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's how I see it. The E90 330i is probably guaranteed to be mechanically sound in terms of engine, transmission, etc simply because of it's similarity to the cars BMW has made forever. The electronics and various interior and exterior bits (door handles, cupholders, trim, etc) are at least in my experience very likely to fail. I assume that this is because the E90 330i is the first model year and BMW did not manage to work out all of the problems with the car.

Meanwhile, the E90 335i is in my experience (my younger brother has one with about 15,000 miles) more reliable in terms of electronics and the various interior/exterior parts. Meanwhile, there is probably more risk in the long term mechanically. All this being said, BMW has been making turbo diesels for a long time and I believe that the 335i engine uses a lot of BMW's turbo diesel experience. Furthermore, the turbos are made by mitsubishi which is probably indicative of long term reliability. The boost pressure run in the 335i is also very low relative to other turbocharged engines.

So, I'd say go for a 335i because it is a faster and thus in my mind better car. It will have less of the small annoying problems like steering column failure etc. You will be taking a little bit more risk in terms of the mechanical bits, but I think that as long as you have the auxiliary oil cooler and don't find one that has been abused it will probably be a more satisfactory car in the long term.

·
Registered
107 Posts
alot of folks are dumping their 335i's because they are flagged as modded (aka no warranty) typical consumers may not figure this out in a car transaction.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Shopping for a 06 330i (Was contemplating a TLS)

After being torn between the techno beast Acura TLS I think I am sold on going with a bavarian muscle machine like the 330i. I have to have the sport package though..and I would like it with Nav. So im shopping autotrader for a certified one..I hope I can grab one with less than 30K miles for the hight 20Ks...

Any pointers guys? THings to look out for? Also unfortunately I have to buy an auto, otherwise my wife wont drive it. I dont think she would care, but Id like to see her drive it time to time..

How are you guys loving your 330is!??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts