BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

330i M Performance?

1623 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Coconutpete
I"m trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on one of these with 55K miles, and I wonder if anyone was familiar with the M Performance line. It's an '04, and it looks to be in good shape. My mechanic is scheduled to look at it more closely. I saw in the wiki that there was a "Performance" line that was a step up from the "Sport" line and down from the full M3. I think the "M Performance" is really just the "Performance" line, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
It`s the Performance Package, also known as the ZHP. Read the E46 Wiki (link above), it has a detailed explaination of what`s included.
(Nobody refers to it as the "M Performance Line")
I"m trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on one of these with 55K miles, and I wonder if anyone was familiar with the M Performance line. It's an '04, and it looks to be in good shape. My mechanic is scheduled to look at it more closely. I saw in the wiki that there was a "Performance" line that was a step up from the "Sport" line and down from the full M3. I think the "M Performance" is really just the "Performance" line, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
welcome! love the name by the way

you could be talking about 2 things, either the Sport Package, which has the 3 spoke wheel, M wheels, the option of beefier tires, more sporty seats, etc.
the ZHP, another possibility, gets you 10 extra horsepower, unique trim, alcantara (if you want it) different suspension, and other minor tweaks
This could be the "step down" from the M3 that you speak of, Smolck or Fast Bob or one of them will let you know for sure which one youre looking at, as im fairly new to the forum as well!
as far as pulling the trigger on it, if you checked everything out and nothing is sketchy, it doesnt need any repairs, its a good title, etc. go for it! if youve ever owned one youd know that if these are kept up, they are fantastic fun to drive. ive got a tad under 130000 on my 330ci sprt pckg and it runs great, and is a joy to drive
hahah i figured he would, just not that quick!
Thanks guys. I think this is the ZHP. I took it for a test drive and it was a blast!
2004 ZHP w/ 55k miles, I'd think it's worth about $15k in excellent condition. Don't let them tell you it's worth $20k.

I've only seen a couple ZHPs around the North Shore area, by the way, it's pretty rare around here.
The zhp is an amazing car I love mine and know many other people who do as well.
Let us know what your indy says.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
the ZHP is awesome, though i do prefer the white neetles in the gauges of the normal one better, its a great car. too bad when my father bought the car back in 03, he had no idea what the ZHP was, or that it existed
The zhp is an amazing car I love mine and know many other people who do as well.
Let us know what your indy says.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Needles: What your BMW has that point to the MPH, RPM, Fuel and Temp

Neetles: Not a word.

:p :D
though i do prefer the white neetles in the gauges of the normal one better
I took the car up to 3D Auto Works today, and the report back is pretty good. The tires should be replaced, and it's a quart low on oil (but not burning any), there is a crack in one fog light, and the oil sensor should be replaced. The tires are probably $1000-1200, and he estimated the oil sensor at $350-375 installed. I'm not sure what the fog light would cost to repair, but am I right in assuming that I can probably track down the plastic lens and not have to replace the entire light?
Hahaha you know that the "t" and the "d" are so close on the keyboard, easy to mistype them haha
It was a long day yesterday
Needles: What your BMW has that point to the MPH, RPM, Fuel and Temp

Neetles: Not a word.

:p :D
If you *do* buy this car, and plan to drive it through the winter, now would be a good time to purchase a set of (used) 17-inch wheels with dedicated snow tires on them. We have a Classifieds Forum here, and over at E46fanatics is a good place to look also. An E46 (especally w/manual trans) and proper snow tires will get you around quite well when everything turns white out there....

And, I don`t know where you`re getting prices from, but you can get good-quality summer performance tires for $700 for a set of 4....
I took the car up to 3D Auto Works today, and the report back is pretty good. The tires should be replaced, and it's a quart low on oil (but not burning any), there is a crack in one fog light, and the oil sensor should be replaced. The tires are probably $1000-1200, and he estimated the oil sensor at $350-375 installed. I'm not sure what the fog light would cost to repair, but am I right in assuming that I can probably track down the plastic lens and not have to replace the entire light?
You'll enjoy the car, they are a lot of fun.

Don't forget you will need to use the special BMW ZHP oil, refined from the tears of virgins.

You'll also need the special ZHP tires, made from rubber trees grown in a special section of the jungles of Equador.

Regular Mtech II bumper foglights will fit, but if you are going to just use one of those, replace both since they will not have as focused of a beam as the special ZHP foglights, with glass made from quartz mined from the deepest craters of the moon.

This has obviously just been a silly rant meant to make fun of some of the comments ZHP owners like to throw out there. As a former ZHP owner I feel the need to warn you :bigpimp:
The tires should be replaced, and it's a quart low on oil (but not burning any), there is a crack in one fog light, and the oil sensor should be replaced
You forgot the "Special 78% Nitrogen Blend ZHP Air" for the tires, Pete.... :)
You'll enjoy the car, they are a lot of fun.

Don't forget you will need to use the special BMW ZHP oil, refined from the tears of virgins.

You'll also need the special ZHP tires, made from rubber trees grown in a special section of the jungles of Equador.

Regular Mtech II bumper foglights will fit, but if you are going to just use one of those, replace both since they will not have as focused of a beam as the special ZHP foglights, with glass made from quartz mined from the deepest craters of the moon.

This has obviously just been a silly rant meant to make fun of some of the comments ZHP owners like to throw out there. As a former ZHP owner I feel the need to warn you :bigpimp:
[email protected] it Bob!!! I was running a 50/50 mix in my ZHP - I bet that's why the handling was off. Now I need to go track down the current owner and get the car back!
You forgot the "Special 78% Nitrogen Blend ZHP Air" for the tires, Pete.... :)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.