Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all...

Quick question about the paint tones on a 2006 BMW E90. About a year ago my wife was in a little accident that required the replacement of the drivers side corner panel and drivers side passenger door. From the day I picked up the car I commented that the paint didn't match. BTW the repair shop was Russell BMW/Toyota in Catonsville MD. The representative simply told me the paint on the car was old and faded, and they painted the car to BMW spec... He then went on about explaining to me that they could fix it by wet sanding the entire car to make it match again, but I'd have to pay! I still felt the tones was off and felt like it was a loss... Ok so it's a year later and I'm now truly annoyed because every time I look at the car I can see the difference. So these past few days I thought maybe I should give the car a good buffing and prey it would match again. So I pulled out the trusty porter cable and went to town. I think, while the paint is now like glass, that I've made the problem more noticeable. Probably too late now, but I started researching paint tones and come to find out there's a Jet Black and Black Sapphire Metallic for my year model. I read an old thread here about the difference between the two tones, and I quote, " Black Sapphire won't look as black as the Jet Black, it will look like a deep Charcoal color." I'm assuming I have Sapphire Black, but I don't. Code 668/9 BMW SCHWARZ 2 - that's Jet Black I presume. Anyway I'm attaching a photo and want to hear what you all think... Is it me? Am I just being picky? Am I just color blind and can't tell black from black? Please help! (NOTE: Still detailing the car :) )

Where to look? Lemme point you in the right direction. Look at the material around the window (sorry don't know the technical name), compared to the actual hood color. The hood looks like a Black Charcoal color, and the strip around the window looks deep rich black.

Prior to the accident

The accident:

-Jay
2004 530i - My Daily Driver
2006 330i - Tha Wifes

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Ouch.. hope no one was hurt. Yeah I do see where you are talking about, definitely a difference in color... I would try and get that fixed, I wouldn't stand for it if it was me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jet black is a high gloss, solid black, Black Sapphire Metallic is as it states a metallic paint with very tiny specks in the paint to reflect light. I don***8217;t think there is any way the paint shop could/would have mixed this up and if they did it would be a difference between day and night, metallic vs. solid. I know this doesn***8217;t help solve your problem but they could have mixed the paint incorrectly but definitely didn***8217;t use wrong paint. Anyway sorry about your paint I know how irritating things like this can be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I actually emailed Gieco last night and received a followup phone call this AM. I do agree camp713. I'm sort of learning all this pretty late in the game here. I realize now had the dealer used metallic there would defiantly be a very noticeable difference. Gieco want's to see the car first chance I get -- now all I have to do is wait for some of this snow to clear before I can take the car in. It really needs it to be dry out to illustrate my point.

The incident was at around 15 ~ 20 MPH believe it or not. The other driver made a wide left at at a 4 way intersection and impacted the BMW from the rear corner panel up through the door. From what my wife says is the other drive got on the gas hard after the impact, which made the damage a lot worse. Then had the audacity to blame my wife, and went through great lengths to sue for mental distress and personal property damages. Come to find out the other drive had done this once before - go figure! People like this just fuel my temper. While unfortunate everyone walked away, and thanks for the concerns. My 7 year old daughter was really shaken up over the whole thing and my wife I think was afraid of my over reaction. In short all I cared about was the safety of everyone.

-Jay

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
Jet black is a high gloss, solid black, Black Sapphire Metallic is as it states a metallic paint with very tiny specks in the paint to reflect light. I don't think there is any way the paint shop could/would have mixed this up and if they did it would be a difference between day and night, metallic vs. solid. I know this doesn't help solve your problem but they could have mixed the paint incorrectly but definitely didn't use wrong paint. Anyway sorry about your paint I know how irritating things like this can be.
+1 - I have the black sapphire metallic and it almost looks like bluish-purple flecks on a dark black background. Depending on the light, it can actually look very non-black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts