BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nevermind my username

I HAVE A 2002 330I AUTO WITH 195K (miles) ON THE CLOCK

YESTERDAY I DROVE FROM A STOP AND THE TRANS FELT LIKE IT DIDNT WANT TO SHIFT TO THE NEXT GEAR. THE REVS CLIMBED AND IT FINALLY SHIFTS REALLY HARD AND MY GEAR LIGHT CAME ON. I PULLED OVER AND TURNED OFF THE CAR AND TURNED IT BACK ON AND THE LIGHT WAS RESET.. DROVE HALF A MILE AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN BUT NOT AS HARD BUT NEVERTHELESS IT WENT INTO LIMP MODE ALONG WITH A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

SHUT HER OFF FOR 15 MINUTES AND DECIDED TO TURN BACK AROUND AND GO HOME. NO INCIDENT AND NO TRANS LIGHT. BUT I BABIED HER HOME. I PARKED HER FOR 30 MINS AND DECIDED TO GIVER HER A DRIVE TO SEE IF IT WAS STILL ACTING UP.
SHE SEEMED TO DRIVE AND SHIFT NORMALLY FOR 20 MINS OF DRIVING AROUND MY NEIGHBORHOOD. I WAS GIVING IT HALF THROTTLE AND GOING THREW THE GEARS FINE AND IT FELT GREAT, NO LIGHTS OR ANYTHING.

BUT THIS MORNING I TURNED IT ON AND AS SOON AS I LEFT IT DID THE SAME THING WHERE IT HESITATED TO SHIFT TO THE NEXT GEAR WHILE IN D. IT EVENTUALLY DID BUT NOT HARD. AND YES IT WENT INTO LIMP MODE.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A SENSOR ISSUE TO YOU GUYS?
COULD I TRY DRIVING IN "MANUAL MODE" TO SEE IF SHE ACTS THE SAME ? WOULD THAT GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT KIND OF PROBLEM IM FACING.

THERES NO OTHER WARNING LIGHTS BESIDES TRANS LIGHT AND CEL.
SHIFTS IN BETWEEN PARK, NETRUAL AND DRIVE JUST FINE. STARTS AND HOLDS IDLE PERFECTLY . JUST GOES INTO LIMP MODE WHILE IN DRIVE

I STAY IN KOREATOWN LOS ANGELES, SO IF ANYONE NEARBY WANTS TO SCAN THE CODES FOR ME, YOULL BE THANKED WITH BEER LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is 550$ a lot for a Indy shop to charge for a trans drain and Refil with a new filter ? Seems like a lot

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sure about the price in USA, but from where I live they were charging me something close to 300 usd. I thought mine was a bit steep too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is 550$ a lot for a Indy shop to charge for a trans drain and Refil with a new filter ? Seems like a lot
$550 sounds like a lot. You could always do it yourself it will run you about $125 for the fluid, filter and gasket. Have you had your transmission serviced before? 200k miles on the same fluid will cause problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$550 sounds like a lot. You could always do it yourself it will run you about $125 for the fluid, filter and gasket. Have you had your transmission serviced before? 200k miles on the same fluid will cause problems.
i only had it about a month now. I'm guessing it never got serviced lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i went to a shop today for a fluid drain and refill with filter
he ran the codes and theres a slip detected in 2nd 3rd and 5th. along with a torque converter code and he basically said he didn't want to touch the car at all.

yesterday it drove fine with no limp mode. it drove fine for about a week (but i could tell it wasn't shifting as crisp as it should)
the biggest symptom is what i said in the OP. it'll search for the next gear while in D and then shift hard. it did that only about twice in the last 80 miles or so.

is it a bad torque converter or will a fluid change help?
any driving tests i can run to see if its the TC

thanks

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It may just be low on fluid. If it is you will roast the transmission eventually if you keep driving it. Find out what fluid your trans uses. There is a sticker on the bottom of the pan. Remove the fill plug on the side of the trans and top off the fluid. You cant overfill it since it will just run back out. If it holds much then you found your problem.

There are several howto's on the site for adding fluid to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may just be low on fluid. If it is you will roast the transmission eventually if you keep driving it. Find out what fluid your trans uses. There is a sticker on the bottom of the pan. Remove the fill plug on the side of the trans and top off the fluid. You cant overfill it since it will just run back out. If it holds much then you found your problem.

There are several howto's on the site for adding fluid to it.
Thank you very much
I'll take your advice .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts