BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any guesses on whether this will happen to bridge the gap with the M3? If it does, what would be the most likely release date? I have heard very little about this, so maybe it won't happen.

It could go a little something like this:
May 2006: 2007 330ci introduced
January 2007: MY2007 330i/330ci turbocharged variants
May 2007: 2008 M3 400bhp V8

Just a WAG on my part.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
The rumor has it that it will happen, but no schedule yet. I've heard that from people who are working either for supplier companies or people who are directly involved in the development.

As you mentioned in your post, the gap between the E90M3 and 330i is too big (258hp - ~400hp)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's money to be made on people that can afford a little more than a 330i but not the M3. I'm just going on Motortrend's speculation in their future vehicle forcast that we will see the turbo 3-series in 2007.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Patrick330i said:
Why bridge the gap with the M3? I would think that BMW would want to differentiate their models.
BMW might try to move the M3 upmarket. Technically, the 3 Series has just been bumped slightly upmarket with the introduction of the 1 Series. Odds are, with a beefed up V8 and lots of expensive packages, the E90 M3 price can increase somewhat to put it in direct pricing competition with say the Audi RS4. Now, if a loaded 330i is only 45 to 46K tops, introduce a "Sport 330i" thats already optioned out with a slightly better engine(Think ZHP). Price it at 47K to 50K, then keep a base M3 at the 52K to 54K range.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Andm99 said:
Price it at 47K to 50K, then keep a base M3 at the 52K to 54K range.
Personally I'd rather have an M at this price point. I don't see a market for a turbo except maybe for Alpina or some other tuner.

·
It's Beeeemer, damnit!
27 Posts
I think there could be a market for it, but it might have to wait a few years. I know I personally would love a Turbo 3. I've grown up with turbo cars, though, whereas a lot of the older generation have bad memories of the early carby turbo cars and won't touch them, because they think all turbos are unreliable.

At that price point mentioned earlier, I don't know how many people my age (25) would be able to afford them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ObD said:
Personally I'd rather have an M at this price point. I don't see a market for a turbo except maybe for Alpina or some other tuner.
I agree, but I'm going under the assumption that the M3 will be bumped up a bit in terms of price. I made those assumptions based on the unknown E90 M3 price and truth to the rumor that there will be a slightly faster model between the base 330 and the M3. I personally agree that BMW doesn't like have a market for it and it's probably better to keep a good distance between a standard BMW and a BMW M. However, look at what Porsche is doing with the new Cayman, more than a Boxster but less than a 911.

·
Registered
214 Posts
SONET said:
My guess is that the E90 M3 will come in closer to $60K base. That would leave enough room for the turbo 3.0. :dunno:

--SONET
Thats what I was thinking too. The C55 AMG is getting up there in base price, Audi might up the price some with the B7 S4 so this gives room for BMW to alter the price as well. Although it's bad enough that with only a few important options, the M3 comes out to cost almost 10K more than it's base. But the question still remains, how necessary would a 3er Turbo be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.