BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Bimmerfest and a new owner of a used 2002 330i (bought "as is.") About four weeks ago while driving on the freeway with the A/C running, I heard a popping sound and then the A/C died. After that, the climate control unit wouldn't work. After searching this forum, I found the fuse box and replaced fuse #28, which was blown. It ran for about five seconds and then the fuse blew again. After quickly burning through a few fuses, I discovered that I can get the climate control unit to work as long as the A/C is not on. The instant I turn on the A/C, the fuse blows.

I need suggestions on how to tackle this problem as a DIY project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Banned
310 Posts
Steve Bean said:
I'm new to Bimmerfest and a new owner of a used 2002 330i (bought "as is.") About four weeks ago while driving on the freeway with the A/C running, I heard a popping sound and then the A/C died. After that, the climate control unit wouldn't work. After searching this forum, I found the fuse box and replaced fuse #28, which was blown. It ran for about five seconds and then the fuse blew again. After quickly burning through a few fuses, I discovered that I can get the climate control unit to work as long as the A/C is not on. The instant I turn on the A/C, the fuse blows.

I need suggestions on how to tackle this problem as a DIY project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You may have a bad AC/Heater Control unit causing an internal short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By "AC/Heater Control unit" do you mean the IHKA control unit? I think that's the unit behind the climate control panel.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Steve Bean said:
By "AC/Heater Control unit" do you mean the IHKA control unit? I think that's the unit behind the climate control panel.
Yes the IHKA Control Unit/Module.

Mind you that you can't just buy a new unit and install it. The control units require recoding to recognize which vehicle it's in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem fixed.

Thanks to Jon's suggestion, I pulled the IHKA Control Unit/Module. I was a little dumb about it because I thought I had to remove the dash to get the unit out. After spending way too much time messing with the dash, I figured out that I could remove the IHKA Control Unit by pulling *really* hard. It was held in place by some snap-in clips on the top and bottom of the unit. I took the unit to my next door neighbor, a brilliant electrical engineer and electronics hobbyist. We cleaned the unit off (while wearing grounding cuffs for static electricity) and checked every resistor and chip on the board. He couldn't find anything wrong with it. He suggested that before I order a new unit I reinstall it and see if it works. He told me that every once in a while giving the circuit board a good cleaning can eliminate problems. It's not very scientific, but it does happen. I reinstalled it as he suggested, and now the unit works perfectly! I feel lucky I didn't have to order a new unit! Thanks for your help Jon in suggesting the Control Unit! :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.