BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an issue of car and driver and turned to the back with the stats on all the cars they have tested.

I seem to recall the 0-60 time on a 330i being faster than the same time in a 540.

Does that seem right? I know the 540 is heavier, but it's a V8, and probably has more torque.

What am I missing?:dunno:

·
Registered
88 Posts
have both

I have a 330xi (2002) and a 99/00 540i (non-sport)...The 540 has some head snapping acceleration off of the line, but the tires always skid, it's pretty tough to get a clean start. It is however, VERY fast. The 330 doesn't feel as fast, but oddly it seems to perform similarly. Just in my own races to 60ish, i do it in about the same distance for both, though granted the 540 was A LOT faster when it was new, now with 40K miles on it, it's slower (or the car has learned to be more fuel efficient more likely.)
On the highway though, above 80mph, no comparison, the 540 smokes the 330, it's just too powerful, the reserves kick in. The 330 can probably keep up with a 540, but you have to REDLINE the 330 every time, whereas the 540 not so much.

So, that's my experience, take it for what you will.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought, sooooo I went to my in house library (the bathroom) and grabbed the "Road test results"

Car 0-60 1/4mile
330i/'01 6.1 14.6/97
540i/'01 6.6 14.6/95.1

Source: Motor Trend January 2002

It just doesn't make sense...the only other logical answer would be the day they tested, or the driver. Different weather conditions for 1 test vs the other:dunno:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
That's especially odd since BMW puts down a 5.9 0-60 for the 540 and a 6.4 for the 330. =)

But then again we all know how accurate manufacturer (and furthermore, magazine) test times can be.

I'd say the 540 would whip the 330 in any straight-line race, but that's just my opinion.

Speaking of the 540, does it have dual exhaust?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
webguy330i said:
That's especially odd since BMW puts down a 5.9 0-60 for the 540 and a 6.4 for the 330. =)

But then again we all know how accurate manufacturer (and furthermore, magazine) test times can be.

I'd say the 540 would whip the 330 in any straight-line race, but that's just my opinion.

Speaking of the 540, does it have dual exhaust?
:confused: you mean the M5. The 540 has a single

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
KP said:

:confused: you mean the M5. The 540 has a single
Yeah I was asking if the 540 came w/ dual exhaust. I find it interesting that the 5'er doesn't have pronounced exhaust tips like the 3'er. I guess it's too sporty of a "feature" for the 5-series design?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
webguy330i said:

Yeah I was asking if the 540 came w/ dual exhaust. I find it interesting that the 5'er doesn't have pronounced exhaust tips like the 3'er. I guess it's too sporty of a "feature" for the 5-series design?
Yes, they like the retain that image for the majority. I'm sure that you have noticed this on 5-ers and up. The pronounced tips are exclusive to the limited edition models (ala m5 and amg). I don't see why this is such a big deal, but the majority of the buyers buy plain vanilla 5's and 7's, but no explanation as to why they would prefer hidden exhausts:dunno:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mystikal said:
Anyone realize that the 540i tested was auto?

:p
Ahhhh the fine print... you're right the 540 was auto and the 330 was 5 speed.

But still it's a V8 vs 6, I wouldn't think the auto would take that much away. Makes me rethink the transmission choice in my next car!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Chipster said:

Ahhhh the fine print... you're right the 540 was auto and the 330 was 5 speed.

But still it's a V8 vs 6, I wouldn't think the auto would take that much away. Makes me rethink the transmission choice in my next car!
Yep, torque converters suck big time. It's not really the numbers that keep most of us in our stick shift cars, it's more the fun. Hell, MB is proving that an auto can be just as fast as any manual, but consistently. Check the acceleration specs on the SLK32 and SL55. :yikes:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mystikal said:

Yep, torque converters suck big time. It's not really the numbers that keep most of us in our stick shift cars, it's more the fun. Hell, MB is proving that an auto can be just as fast as any manual, but consistently. Check the acceleration specs on the SLK32 and SL55. :yikes:
I know what the specs are on the SLK32, my wife has an SLK230 and keeps reminding me about how fun a 32 would be!

A friend of ours is an exec for MB and gets to drive all their cars, he says the SLK32 has got to be one of the most fun cars he has ever driven!

And the new SL....droooooooool! MB is going to really screw up the CLK on the next release. It does not look as sleek as the current boby.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,706 Posts
webguy330i said:

The 5er *can* have pronounced tips if ya want 'em...

The M5 comes with duals, but no spare tire as the space is needed for the pipes. A very common thing for 540 owners to do is remove the center resonator when we upgrade our exhaust. I did a page about it, here . Check the 540 section. duh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.