BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the Roundel that BMW was reprograming, on request, 335s that had the boost reduced to " reduce noise".

Did anybody have this done?

What is the reprogram code #?

Did you notice a difference?

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
There was a software update that apparently introduced turbo lag. There's a specific range of cars this was likely to happen to. As of January 2009 BMW is updating to the newest software which removes the lag, but only if your car is in for a repair that requires a software update I think. They do it with the caveat that engine noise may be increased.

Some cars are not affected and so the newest software will do nothing for performance (I think).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
V29.2 to 31.2 had the lag introduced to "quiet the wastegates". It was basically leaving the wastegates open longer in the ECU programming. It introduced some irritating lag(especially irritating when you have 300 ft lbs down low) that marked the engine as a definite turbo. After the new "wastegate reprogramming" fix, its back to behaving like the car I bought, feels like an NA V8 engine of about 4.5L.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
V29.2 to 31.2 had the lag introduced to "quiet the wastegates". It was basically leaving the wastegates open longer in the ECU programming. It introduced some irritating lag(especially irritating when you have 300 ft lbs down low) that marked the engine as a definite turbo. After the new "wastegate reprogramming" fix, its back to behaving like the car I bought, feels like an NA V8 engine of about 4.5L.
Do you know the code of the program that restores the turbo boost?

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Desert, Do you know what version software is in a May 08 built 335? I'm hoping not to have this lag even though I have an SSTT. Regardless, I wouldn't know how to compare as I never drove a 07 with the non lag software

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Desert, Do you know what version software is in a May 08 built 335? I'm hoping not to have this lag even though I have an SSTT. Regardless, I wouldn't know how to compare as I never drove a 07 with the non lag software
Im not sure but I think you fall in there, with the wastegate delay, as delivered new. I believe your car build date is eligible for the new software with a normal ECU software update. My car was delivered without the delay and "updated" with a stereo repair to the 31.2, W/ delay.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My car was built during the period of turbo lag SW and I can notice it. I would like to get it updated, but need an excuse. Occasional lockups in the IDrive when using an IPOD? Any other suggestions for excuses why the SW should be updated??

·
Burnt Orange and Blue
180 Posts
Official statement says through 3/08?

Im not sure but I think you fall in there, with the wastegate delay, as delivered new. I believe your car build date is eligible for the new software with a normal ECU software update. My car was delivered without the delay and "updated" with a stereo repair to the 31.2, W/ delay.
I thought the BMW release said the affected builds were only through 3/08 - is there some reason to think this was incorrect? I have an 4/08 build, and while I do notice a slight hesitation on occasion, it is not like the turbo lag I have experience in other make/models, so I am assuming my 335i does not have the hated SW. However, I would not rule out the possibility that the very minor hesitation (IMHO, of course) is actually the same lag that others are unhappy about.

abmwc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts