BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335ci Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power!!!

2197 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bcube
:dunno:Yep me too....Less than 2 weeks ago I just had the fuel pump replaced for the second time on my 08 335ci. Last night driving home I got the dreaded message "Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power". Arrggg!! Really starting to think about my choice here. And thats sad becuase I WAS pretty happy driving the thing!! Making a service appointment this morning.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
I got the "reduced power" twice in a row last week. Interestingly enough, I had no appreciable loss of power either time - I was in neither "Civic Mode" nor "328i Mode". I have now decided the Germans have programmed in a third mode in the latest software flash: I call it the "Fcuking With You Mode" or FWY for short.
Engine Malfunction/Red Power

Does any one know if the non-turbo models have the same problems with the fuel pumps? Cause Im seriously growing tired of this issue.
No, the 328’s do not have a high-pressure fuel pump, and to dispel a common misconception it has nothing to do with turbo charging.
The HPFP is needed for the Piezo direct injection system.
they call the 335i coupe 335ci in Europe.
What's a 335ci?
I think you've got fuel injector problems.
:dunno:Yep me too....Less than 2 weeks ago I just had the fuel pump replaced for the second time on my 08 335ci. Last night driving home I got the dreaded message "Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power". Arrggg!! Really starting to think about my choice here. And thats sad becuase I WAS pretty happy driving the thing!! Making a service appointment this morning.
Nope, no problems with mine as well as countless others. Our "328i mode" as it is called by the insecure merely means that we continue to enjoy our cars while others cannot.
Does any one know if the non-turbo models have the same problems with the fuel pumps? Cause Im seriously growing tired of this issue.
:)

Don't bite at stuff like that. Next time (if ever) your car breaks down, you can say it has entered "335i mode." Oh wait, a car in 2009 shouldn't break down and leave you stranded, or not start. :p

Seriously though, it is interesting that a significant amount of people go a relatively long time on their first HPFP, then often go to their second, third, fourth quite rapidly (one poster even had his new fail driving home...) It points to the recirculating pool of used / refurb HPFP, and probably only will get worse as time goes on. :(
Nope, no problems with mine as well as countless others. Our "328i mode" as it is called by the insecure merely means that we continue to enjoy our cars while others cannot.
BMW has my car still. At first they said the software needed to be reprogramed. They just called and said they were still getting faults after the software was updated. Also, on my way to drop the car off I took note that my turbos were not working. What next? I have even gone as far as to test drive some cars. But all that did was remind me why I love BMW. Its's a thin line as the song says....
Well I just got the news back from beamer today. They are replacing the turbos and the waste gate..Crazy huh? Has anyone else had this happened to them?
Yes, way back when my car was still a virgin at 36,708 miles. It was the first time I got a "Reduced Power" indication. The car had its original factory software which tended to throw up every error code known to man when there was a problem, so BMW had the dealer upgrade to latest software at that time, do some tests, and they determined that the turbos/wastegates were the issue.

The specific DME fault codes were 30FF and 3100. The test performed was "Charge Air Test plan"
Well I just got the news back from beamer today. They are replacing the turbos and the waste gate..Crazy huh? Has anyone else had this happened to them?
Do you still have the car and how has it been since then?
Yes, I still drive it. Currently has 92,8XX miles.
The following event happened ~88K miles: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4503631&postcount=5
Do you still have the car and how has it been since then?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.