BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335d vs 328

8258 70
Good morning everyone,

I have a 3335d which I brought about 6 months back. Had to get some recall stuff done so left it with dealership yesterday and got 328 loaner.

After driving 328 I felt 335d is heavy on steering and sluggish in pedal response. Somehow 328 feels much lighter to drive and better in throttle response. Did any of you had similar issues? I am worried that something may be wrong with my car as it should not be the case for 335's.

Thanks
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
If it was a new F30 328i, it has the EPS and just feels that way. If the 328i was non-sport and your 'd has sport package it would feel that way. Even if not, the 328i is about 200 lbs lighter than the 'd.
Assuming you drove an e90 328, NO! I thought the 328 was a pig and I couldn't wait to get back in my 335d. If you want to improve steering response buy some better wheels and or tires.
Good morning everyone,

I have a 3335d which I brought about 6 months back. Had to get some recall stuff done so left it with dealership yesterday and got 328 loaner.

After driving 328 I felt 335d is heavy on steering and sluggish in pedal response. Somehow 328 feels much lighter to drive and better in throttle response. Did any of you had similar issues? I am worried that something may be wrong with my car as it should not be the case for 335's.

Thanks
RFT's are really a problem. Ride is not very good with them. 328 I got is from 2011 so must be older version/model.

I dont think for 3 liter engine, 200lb should make a difference at low speed. It may change 0-60 time but not whole experience. I will check which tires loaner has but if that is causing difference then shame on BMW on putting RFT's.
Assuming you drove an e90 328, NO! I thought the 328 was a pig and I couldn't wait to get back in my 335d. If you want to improve steering response buy some better wheels and or tires.
I concur. BMW removed the spare tire from the equation and stuck owners with less than desirable RFT's. Changing out my RFT's was the first and best change I made with my car.

If the loaner had the same make RFT's as you, you might want to double check your tire pressure. If they are under inflated that will contribute to sloppiness in the steering fee.
RFT's are really a problem. Ride is not very good with them. 328 I got is from 2011 so must be older version/model.

I dont think for 3 liter engine, 200lb should make a difference at low speed. It may change 0-60 time but not whole experience. I will check which tires loaner has but if that is causing difference then shame on BMW on putting RFT's.
My 335d is non sports. I dont think steering is a big issue for me but car feels sluggish compared to 328i. It not that nimble and feels choked.
If it was a new F30 328i, it has the EPS and just feels that way. If the 328i was non-sport and your 'd has sport package it would feel that way. Even if not, the 328i is about 200 lbs lighter than the 'd.
Just had a E90 328i last week while my d was being worked on. Agree with OP, the NA engine in the 328i has much faster throttle response than the d as its naturally aspirated. Much less overall power however
I had a 328 loaner last year and couldn't wait to get my D back.
The only loaner car that I have had that was close to the D was a 335I. The other loaner cars I have driven 328, 528 were less than stellar machines. In either of those two cases, I couldn't wait to get back in the D.
I was originally going to buy a 328i. Because of the Eco credit I decided to give the 335d a test drive. 30 seconds behind the wheel of the d and I was sold. If you want Better throttle response try a tune.
@OP, are you referring to E90 328i or F30 328i?
Its E90.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Bimmer App
@OP, are you referring to E90 328i or F30 328i?
Could it be the way you drive both vehicles?
Perhaps you drive your D more gently 'cos you own it and you drive the 328i like you stole it so it feels faster?

I'm sure if you floor the paddle in the D your head will snap back as the 425 lb ft torque kicks in!
I drive my D like I stole it and never find it lacking.
I do prefer the better feed back of the steering on the D to the new electric steering of the F30.
Funny that you worry that something may be wrong with your 335d because of how heavy the steering feels - that's exactly why I like it! It has some heft to it. And mine is a sport, so that probably even adds to that feeling.

When I had a 328i rental, it felt that the steering was way to light - almost flimsy.
Good morning everyone,

Thanks
That shall not be the case. I am unaware that BMW uses EPS on E90 328i, will someone chip in on this?

The steering feel can be light or heavy, however the numbness on the newer EPS is a major disappointment. When BMW released the F10 M5 & F12/13 M6, they ditched the newer EPS unit (on current F30 & F10) & went back to HPS. M division realizes the savings on fuel is so insignificant & most m-car owners are enthusiasts , thus it is not worth to equip M cars with EPS.

The steering feel on 335d is great and very communicative. You can actually tell which wheel is running over uneven surface or pushing the limit. This isn't something that newer F30's EPS can easily accomplished.
Its E90.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Bimmer App
in my last service experience, for a moment I felt same like OP.
1. Steering was very flimsy and was all over place
2. Less balanced and very light may be coz of non sport suspension and wheels
Due to above 2 you dont get enough confidence in turns and feel dangerous to drive. For a moment I felt it was going way fast but at same speed my d feel a lot more stable
It's mystery to me why experience was so different between two cars. May be its because of tires as E90 had normal radials where as mine has RFT's which means I should throw away RFT's soon :)
That shall not be the case. I am unaware that BMW uses EPS on E90 328i, will someone chip in on this?

The steering feel can be light or heavy, however the numbness on the newer EPS is a major disappointment. When BMW released the F10 M5 & F12/13 M6, they ditched the newer EPS unit (on current F30 & F10) & went back to HPS. M division realizes the savings on fuel is so insignificant & most m-car owners are enthusiasts , thus it is not worth to equip M cars with EPS.

The steering feel on 335d is great and very communicative. You can actually tell which wheel is running over uneven surface or pushing the limit. This isn't something that newer F30's EPS can easily accomplished.
I think you're very confused. A 335d is an E90. All E90s have RFTs. A new F30 328i has RFTs. IMO, the RFTs on my E90 2010 335d offer a fine ride.

Perhaps the 328i you drove wasn't sport package and had all-season tires rather than the summer sport package tires.
It's mystery to me why experience was so different between two cars. May be its because of tires as E90 had normal radials where as mine has RFT's which means I should throw away RFT's soon :)
I don't think the 328i could have the same exact type of tires. Same male sure but would be a different type of tire. At least in my experience the 328i has different sized wheels than the 335d. But I only have been around non sports models and perhaps sports are all the same.
I concur. BMW removed the spare tire from the equation and stuck owners with less than desirable RFT's. Changing out my RFT's was the first and best change I made with my car.

If the loaner had the same make RFT's as you, you might want to double check your tire pressure. If they are under inflated that will contribute to sloppiness in the steering fee.
Being a new (to me) 335d Sport owner myself, I find the steering nicely weighted, but the throttle/transmission response is dismal, especially from a standing start. I'm not talking a little lag here, more like mash the pedal, creep forward for a full second then take off. It's downright scary/dangerous to pull out in front of someone. I took it to the dealership and they admit it's not right, but that "they all do that". I drove another 335d non-Sport and it exhibited essentially the same initial lag as mine. Do they really "all do that". Other than this single issue, I love the car.
Good morning everyone,

Thanks
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.