BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· VIII
9,001 Posts
I'll wait until I see it in person before I pass judgement. Many of the new model BMW's don't photograph well, but in person it's a different story and they look fantastic. The E90, E60, Z4,6 series all of these cars don't look that great in pictures but when I see them in person I'd take any of them. Even the current Audi's & Cayman have this problem, they look horrible in pictures, but not in person.

Eitherway I can't wait to see the E92. Here's the plan, if I like the E92 then I will decide between 335i, 335xi or E92 M3. If I don't like the E92 then my quest for a mint CPO 05 - 06 ZCP E46 M3 begins. I can't wait get back into a BMW again, this wait is torture! :angel:

· VIII
9,001 Posts
Apollothedog said:
Are you not liking the STI? Coming from the 92x I can relate.
Let me catch you up to my situation. I assumed the lease on my 05 M3 from a fellow Bimmerfest member. At the time I also owned an 04 330i. I originally planned to sell the 330i privately and use that money to pay off the 05 M3 as a purchase. I wasn't getting any offers on the 330i that I could live with so I got the brilliant idea to trade the 330i in on an STI (I missed my 04 STI a bit) and use the 06 STI for the winter and whenever I didn't want to drive the 05 M3. After a while I decided that while I loved the 05 M3 I knew I was probably going to trade it in for an E92 M3 anyway, so I transfered the lease on the 05 M3 with the intention of saving all those payments and putting them towards the E92 M3 as a purchase. It seemed like a great idea at the time and it made sense financially so I did it. What I didn't count on was HOW MUCH I would miss the M3. If I get another E46 M3 I will probably keep the STI, but if I get the E92 M3 I'll probably sell it to make the cost a bit more liveable. I'm expecting the E92 M3 to be 70K optioned the way I want. But CPO E46 M3's can be had easily for under 50K. :confused: Did I confuse you? I think I confused myself....:rofl:

· VIII
9,001 Posts
Apollothedog said:
Best laid plans.

Interesting enough, I came from the lower end of the same spectrum, going from a 05 Saab 92x(WRX) to a 05 330i. The 92x was at stage one via Cobb Accessport and was quicker then the 330i, but everything about the 330i screams quality while the 92x screamed economy car (Imprezza based), even if it was Saabarized. I do miss the all wheel drive, and the speed, but the handling, quality and the beauty of the 330 just blow me away. I'm glad I made the trade.
By chance have you driven the STI? Although the car pretty much looks the same and has the same interior as the WRX or 92x, underneath the skin and from the driver's seat it's a completely different car. In fact just today when I was driving it I was thinking to myself, "how can a car this ugly, and with such a cheap interior be so much fun to drive?" Seriously, the 06 STI is leaps and bounds better then the 04 STI I had, and even better on top of that then the WRX. It's got awesome power, handling & traction, plus with my snow tires I can drive it through a Northeast blizzard and not even be worried. The M3 satisfied me on a different level though - the quality of the interior, the gorgeous design of the exterior, the engine had no low end torque but when when you got into the higher RPMS, WOW! I also like the "fun" of the RWD with the LSD, although the AWD system in the 06 STI is VERY well implemented, and it doesn't have much understeer at all if you know how to drive it properly. I'm seriously thinking about saying the heck with the E92 335 or M3 and getting a used E46 M3 and keeping the STI also! (instead of selling the STI for a 335 or E92 M3). It's a hard decision though. Keep the STI, sell the STI, get an E46 M3, get an E92 M3. What will make me happy? Perhaps nothing! I guess these are good problems to have.

· VIII
9,001 Posts
I think the rear of the E92 looks great and so do the tails. In fact I like it better then the rear of the E46 & E90. My only beef with the 335i is I'd like an LSD and a more aggresively tuned suspension package. Psst....good idea bmw, release a 335i ZHP with LSD & a real sport suspension. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.