BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the 335i (Coupe) has loads of torque and HP but im just kind of wondering how much is it worth it to chip the 335i? Ive heard that the 335i engine is capable of more power that a chip can solve. I dont have a whole lot of knowledge on chips and what the process is for getting them in so im just kind of fishing for some answers.

What is the best chip to put in?

What am I looking at cost wise?

Whats the process to getting it in and working smoothly?

What are the benefits of chipping the 335i Coupe?

Also will this void warranty?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are many threads on this forum that will answer all of your questions. Use the search feature. Include "JB2" in your search, that should get you started.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I watched an installation video on installing the JB2 chip and to be honest Id be terrified of doing this wrong. Anyone think its worth it to get an auto shop to do this for me? (As I wouldnt want to take even a 1% chance of screwing up my engine...)

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
I'm sure you could find a shop in Orlando to perform the work. An independent BMW repair shop would be a good place to start. You could also flash the DME (brain) of your 335 with a Dinan flash. They're at dinancars.com.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flashing the car can cost alot from what I see on their website...

For $379 for the JB2 thats what im looking at. Will this decrease the life of my car or do anything harmful to the engine? And again will this void the warranty?

Appreciate the help so far, just trying to put all the doubts out of my mind.

btw watching the 335i with JB2 take so many high end cars (like the Carrera 4S) on youtube is making me giddy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is A LOT going with this new software upgrade that will allow BMW to tell if you have chipped your car. As far as I can telll, the TurboTuner is the only device that appears to be "undetectable" - other than the approved Dinan flash.

If you want to learn more, you should go e90post.com because I really don't know what I am talking about. There is a whole forum dedicated to mods for the n54 engine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is A LOT going with this new software upgrade that will allow BMW to tell if you have chipped your car. As far as I can telll, the TurboTuner is the only device that appears to be "undetectable" - other than the approved Dinan flash.

If you want to learn more, you should go e90post.com. There is a whole forum dedicated to mods for the n54 engine.
BZZZ - I got hammered for mentioning a competing (whatever that is) forum on this one.. But, having said that, the various piggybacks (search for juicebox) can be made undetected if you keep the fuel enrichment circuits disabled.

There are varying thoughts/experiences on what is 'flagged'. Technically, they can't just void your warranty completely. They can exclude a certain component on the vehicle from warranty repair if they confirm the failure was related to some aftermarket part.

Read your pms.

·
Registered
157 Posts
BZZZ - I got hammered for mentioning a competing (whatever that is) forum on this one.. But, having said that, the various piggybacks (search for juicebox) can be made undetected if you keep the fuel enrichment circuits disabled.

There are varying thoughts/experiences on what is 'flagged'. Technically, they can't just void your warranty completely. They can exclude a certain component on the vehicle from warranty repair if they confirm the failure was related to some aftermarket part.

Read your pms.
I see you have JB2. You can turn off the fuel enrichment part of it? I haven't really been following very closely. Does that make it a similar device to JB1 and SSTT?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Split Second Turbo Tuner that's up for sale for $450 shipped. You can do a search on SSTT for more info. Easy to install, nice jump in hp/Torque. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yeah I watched an installation video on installing the JB2 chip and to be honest Id be terrified of doing this wrong. Anyone think its worth it to get an auto shop to do this for me? (As I wouldnt want to take even a 1% chance of screwing up my engine...)
It's pretty easy, most shops that have done it before charge 3/4 hour of labor, around $75, to install. But I would suggest you do it on your own or have a local member help out. It's all plug and play, the hardest part is just taking the ECU connector on and off. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts