BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maybe double-posting here [so I apologize in advance] but I need feedback from my fellow 335i owners.

It will be my 5th time to take my 335i to the dealer.
It all started when "Engine Malfunction- reduced power" error message showed up two months ago.
1. They replaced the waste gate.
2. They replaced the HPFP.
3. They replaced the exhaust manifold.
4. They replaced both turbos.

Has any of you experienced the same?
What are the resolutions for that dreaded "Engine Malfunction- reduced power" error?

I got my car back from the dealer. They didn't do anything bu here is their note:
Perform brief test, FC 2EFE, 30FF, Perform test plan for FC2EFE electric fan activation, All system O.K. Fan working
Happen only 1 time, clear codes
FC 30FF, found measure 16812803, check components seems O.K.
Happen 1 time only, clear codes and road test recheck fault, no fault stored

Any idea what to do, folks?

·
Gentleman Extraordinaire
690 Posts
I maybe double-posting here [so I apologize in advance] but I need feedback from my fellow 335i owners.

It will be my 5th time to take my 335i to the dealer.
It all started when "Engine Malfunction- reduced power" error message showed up two months ago.
1. They replaced the waste gate.
2. They replaced the HPFP.
3. They replaced the exhaust manifold.
4. They replaced both turbos.

Has any of you experienced the same?
What are the resolutions for that dreaded "Engine Malfunction- reduced power" error?

I got my car back from the dealer. They didn't do anything bu here is their note:
Perform brief test, FC 2EFE, 30FF, Perform test plan for FC2EFE electric fan activation, All system O.K. Fan working
Happen only 1 time, clear codes
FC 30FF, found measure 16812803, check components seems O.K.
Happen 1 time only, clear codes and road test recheck fault, no fault stored

Any idea what to do, folks?
:yikes:

No idea if there are lemon laws in Canada but this sure sounds like the makings of one. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had the same problem and after 4 visits they finally were able to clear the problem. it turned out to be a computer error code and they had to clear it.... but i think my car is riding different it feels extremly loose and i dont know what they did... my suspension feels awful... definately could not do cones with this car....its all over the road....

·
Addicted to Speed
17 Posts
I know it's a controversial issue but did they update the software as well? I know that many times if the wastegate is noisy they would update the software before replacing the turbos. Just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Going on 3 breakdowns

Hey~
Same problem as you..
Went down 3 times already and am on a loaner car.
Replaced Fuel injector, sensor to the fuel injector and now supposedly the smaller fuel injector?
Waiting to get the software 2 upgrade so its disappointing leaving my 335 coupe in the shop and rocking the 4 dr 328..
What are your plans, I just hate waiting months for a new vehicle..

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's the 335i Plague; I've had it for a year now. No fixes yet. I have not had the injectors replaced yet, but that's the only thing. After that, the only thing left is the actual gas tank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe a plug!!

Allof a sudden while driving to work about 3 weeks ago,
my 335 (2009 vert) started exhibiting really poor engine
performance - almost like it was coughing... except I
was already on the highway and running at 55-60 mph.
Then when I got to work, I sut down the car, and restarted
it, and got the "check engine" light (solidly on, yellow).

I immediately took it to my dealership, and the diagnosed
the problem to be a bad (cracked?) spark plug (and
possible the coil??? I remember them saying something about
a spark plug coil... not sure what that was).
In any case, they were correct.... and after they replaced
the spark plug... my engire purrrs like it is supposed to
(Note... my car is only 4 months old, and has about 5000 miles).

You might what to have your dealership test out the plugs!

Good luck

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,379 Posts
I immediately took it to my dealership, and the diagnosed
the problem to be a bad (cracked?) spark plug (and
possible the coil??? I remember them saying something about
a spark plug coil... not sure what that was).
In any case, they were correct.... and after they replaced
the spark plug... my engire purrrs like it is supposed to
(Note... my car is only 4 months old, and has about 5000 miles).
I went through 3 coil packs in my Passat over 150k miles. Driving along happily, and suddenly it swallows a lung. You think a missing plug is bad on a 6 cylinder? Try it on a 4.

Quick fix, and obvious at inspection (you need a scan to find the right pack to replace, though).

Doesn't sound like the problems here, but it does beg the question: does BMW use a similar setup?

George

·
Freedom
3,206 Posts
the service manager told me that when ever the malfunction light goes on... reduced power kicks in. i had the same and all they did for me was replace the "ping sensor." i'm as good as new now.

·
Road or Beach
274 Posts
I had similar problems with my first 335 going into limp mode. They replace 3 injectors and after 4 visits I had enough and got them to do a trade assist to get me a new car. I have 19,000 on this car and no limps at all. Some of these cars just seemed plagued with fuel system problems and not always the HPFP.

·
Freedom
3,206 Posts
I had similar problems with my first 335 going into limp mode. They replace 3 injectors and after 4 visits I had enough and got them to do a trade assist to get me a new car. I have 19,000 on this car and no limps at all. Some of these cars just seemed plagued with fuel system problems and not always the HPFP.
what is trade assist? thanks.

·
Freedom
3,206 Posts
Instead of going through Lemon Law BMWNA buys back your car and then you purchase a new one.
really? you had four visits three injectors and ... you get a new car. was it really that easy? (not that i don't believe you) :) just trying to understand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an 07 335i, and I've had this come up a few times, but for me they all occurred after I put the car in Sports mode (via shifting my auto stick left), then went back to normal (after I passed by whatever I needed to pass by real quick). So I stopped going into Sport mode, and haven't had that message since. Last occurrence was about 7 months ago (which was the last time I put the car in sport mode).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts