BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm very new to BMW's and am interested in the 335i. I am aware that it has stock bi turbos that do not run sequentially. I've previously owned a 94' twin turbo supra with BPU++. i'm also not a mechanic so have no idea as to how compression/turbo boost works.

so my questions are, will getting a boost controller really throw off the car's stock computer, if not how high will you guys think it will be able to boost with a 10.2:1 compression ratio, and will it be possible to upgrade the turbos to a larger single turbo or larger twin turbos?i think stock boost was somewhere like 8.something psi. oh, also i was curious as to whether or not the stock transmission would be strong enough to handle the increased horsepower. i don't want to buy a 335i and blow it up lol.

I've looked at the picture of the engine on the BMW site and it's on the bottom so modification would be ridiculously hard. though, looking at that manifold reminds me of how large the supra's stock one was.

I'm also curious as to what types of exhaust you would buy for a luxury sports vehicle such as a BMW. i'm only familiar with companies such as HKS, Greddy etc. i'm just trying to plan and budget how much modding this car will cost me when i get one. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
-zrvs

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Dude, nobody knows the answers to your questions, mainly because that car hasn't even been released for sale yet. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that customer deliveries start in September...

So if you plan on buying a 335 and modifying it, I would suggest you wait another year or so. By that time BPU upgrades should be available and you might get answers to all your questions.

Do NOT buy this car now expecting to get 500RWHP out of it - it may or may not be possible... :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also plan on putting some goodies on my 335i. Hence the reason why I am going with a manual transmission.

I am sure upgrated turbos will be available, etc.

All in due time...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
In terms of manufacturers of aftermarket exhaust systems for BMW's I think of companies like Remus, SuperSprint, Autowerke, and UUC. You know about HKS and they play in BMW's aftermarket too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
gabo2k said:
I also plan on putting some goodies on my 335i. Hence the reason why I am going with a manual transmission.

I am sure upgrated turbos will be available, etc.

All in due time...:thumbup:
I recall reading an article, Motor Trend I think, and it mentioned that the transmision being used in the 335 was not able to handle a lot more HP than the 300 stock offering. It said that the M3 tranny wouldn't fit, or something along those lines. It also went on to say that the engine was capable of much more than 300, but since it was limited by the tranny, that it couldn't see its full potential.

This could all certainly be very wrong, considering the source. At least I hope its wrong.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Next M3 said:
Dinan is already talking about a boosted 400HP 335i.
That's within reach. consider a 2.0T from audi can be chipped to put out 250hp/300tq, then a 370-380 hp/400tq 3.0T seems pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Meatwad said:
I recall reading an article, Motor Trend I think, and it mentioned that the transmision being used in the 335 was not able to handle a lot more HP than the 300 stock offering. It said that the M3 tranny wouldn't fit, or something along those lines. It also went on to say that the engine was capable of much more than 300, but since it was limited by the tranny, that it couldn't see its full potential.

This could all certainly be very wrong, considering the source. At least I hope its wrong.
i read that same article. but he wasnt talking about the HP, it was torque. they said they could of got more torque out of the engine BUT they didnt have a tranny that can handle the extra torque that would fit into the 335. im not sure if he was referring to the 335 trannies in general, but i assume that the manual would be able to handle a bit more than the auto.

so that explain the flat TQ curve of the 335, it was limited by BMW. also one thing to think about is if BMW sells a twin turbo 335 with performance mod capabilities that can out muscle the upcoming //M3 for a lot less $, it wouldnt make any business sense. so MAYBE BMW put a weaker tranny on purpose? or maybe not and the manual can handle 500 lbs of Tq :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
BiggieJ said:
i read that same article. but he wasnt talking about the HP, it was torque. they said they could of got more torque out of the engine BUT they didnt have a tranny that can handle the extra torque that would fit into the 335. im not sure if he was referring to the 335 trannies in general, but i assume that the manual would be able to handle a bit more than the auto.

so that explain the flat TQ curve of the 335, it was limited by BMW. also one thing to think about is if BMW sells a twin turbo 335 with performance mod capabilities that can out muscle the upcoming //M3 for a lot less $, it wouldnt make any business sense. so MAYBE BMW put a weaker tranny on purpose? or maybe not and the manual can handle 500 lbs of Tq :D
Thanks for the clarification. I find it hard to beleive that they wouldn't build at least a little expansion capability into the tranny. Unless, when they increase the performance of the engine, which I would have to believe they would do eventually (since it would be fairly easy), they plan on using a totally different tranny. This car has the potential for being an incredible sleeper. Without M badges no one would expect that much from it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A beefier tranny than needed costs money and usually weighs more. The design is normally targeted at reliability for the life of the vehicle, no more no less. Why should any manufacturer build in expansion capability, especially if they do not themselves offer aftermarket upgrades?

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Penforhire said:
A beefier tranny than needed costs money and usually weighs more. The design is normally targeted at reliability for the life of the vehicle, no more no less. Why should any manufacturer build in expansion capability, especially if they do not themselves offer aftermarket upgrades?
Because 2-3 years from now, I'm convinced BMW will offer an "si" or "ZHP" or whatever performance version with at least 330HP and a matching torque increase.

It would make no sense to have to redesign the tranny for some 30-50lb/ft of torque. :dunno:

At least I hope that's their thinking... :)

But I'll be the first to wave the caution flag - if you have plans to get 400HP or more out of your just-ordered 335, WAIT! There can be a number of limitations buit-in by BMW specifically to prevent the 335 from outshining the new M3: tranny, engine internals, cooling system, compression ratio etc.

I would not be a guinea pig for tuning companies for this car - let the results show over a meaningful time period first, then we'll see... We also need to see how strict BMW will enforce the "chip-it-and-loose-your-warranty" policy... :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
11 Posts
adc said:
Because 2-3 years from now, I'm convinced BMW will offer an "si" or "ZHP" or whatever performance version with at least 330HP and a matching torque increase.

It would make no sense to have to redesign the tranny for some 30-50lb/ft of torque. :dunno:

At least I hope that's their thinking... :)
Right. It is a lot cheaper to offer an "expandable platform, and simply increase the HP as needed, rather then change 5 - 10 things everytime more power is needed.

But I guess we shall see...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The tranny difference can be as subtle as a better (longer, more expensive) heat treatment of gears or output splines. Anyway, you can usually tell if something is changed by the P/N's if you can get a look at the shop manuals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts