BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am getting out of a volvo s60r and have admired the 335i coupe & convertible for some time. Im leaning toward the convertible. Although the 328 is nice, I want to stay in the same power range as what I previously had.

I know there is an issue with the HPFP in these cars. Some insight on what else to look out for if purchasing a pre-owned vehicle would help. Is the coupe superior to the convertible for rigidity, other reasons, etc. Any information that can steer me in the right direction will be of help in determining whether to pursue the coupe or convertible.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I don't know how it compares to the coupe but I know my 'vert drives beautifully :) It really depends on what you want. It says you're from NYC, so I know the top down opportunities will be less than in LA, where I'm from.

The coupe is supposedly more rigid than the convertible, but unless you track your car, I doubt you're gonna notice the difference. Part of the weight increase in the convertible is reinforcements to make the chassis more rigid with the top down. I think the main issue is that the convertible is prone to having more creaks and rattles (at least mine does, although not too bad).

But if you're set on having a top down experience, then by all means get the convertible.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey I live in NYC too and i got a 335i coupe. What I could say is what exactly are you looking for? For me I got the 335i and swapped out the tires as fast as possible due to the horrible roads we have here. I have right now my stock 18's M sport rims and put Continental extreme contact dw and the ride has improved dramatically. A lot of things applys how long your lease is or if your buying. In NY as you can tell its already March and were still getting a little bit of snow so its getting annoying that you can't put the top down. For the extra $$$ I dont think its worth it. Now for your other question if you want the 335i or the 328i, it really depends what tranny you get. If you get the auto then you will notice the 335i is way more superior due to its Zf transmission. The 328i has a Gm transmission that many people aren't fond of. If you get stick the 335i is only about .6-.9 seconds to 60 difference as opposed to 5.1 to 6.7. Another thing you will need in New York is konti FSD with M3 bump stops and youll be fine with pot holes. Hope this helps, Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree.

The 328 with the GM automatic is not as smooth as the 335i with the ZF automatic. If you buy the 328 I would strongly recommend the stick shift.

The 335i convertible is the best car I have ever owned. The reasons include the power of the engine and the smooth drive train, etc. but the real reason is you can hit a button and have the roof of the car fold into the trunk. Now that is something worth getting.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I'm heavily biased towards having a roof on my car, so I can't help you there.

Before somebody chimes in with NYC roads + sport package (ZSP) disertation :) ... I like sport package and would consider getting it. ZSP + run-flat tires (RFT) are considered big no-no, but you will find people who are just fine with having RFTs on their cars. Mine will be going as soon as they are worn out and replaced with normal tires.

As far as 335i vs 328i decision, I can tell you that 335i is a total waste of a car when driven in U.S.

Southwest Ohio/Northern Kentucky/Southeast Indiana area has some VERY nice secondary roads to drive on, but they are increasingly littered with other "drivers" even during morning hours on Sunday so that I can barely ever use 335i as it was meant to be used anymore. Yes, track days are fun, but they are few and far between and not all the driving for pure fun is done on a race track. There's something to be said about driving on normal roads without traffic at 50% of your car's capabilities - you set the rhythm as you please. Driving constantly at 85+% while trying not to impede other people from having fun gets kinda old very fast.

So, I would suggest 328i + manual transmission.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before the deal is done it might be a good idea to check the DOT dating on the tires. If nearing 6 years on the tires maybe you can negotiate a change. For leverage you could mention that BMW recommends tires no older than 6 years regardless of tread wear. It is based on the fact that rubber ages from the born date of the tire. Of coures, maybe the preowned prep addresses this possible issue? :dunno:

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you prefer high performance driving thrills and value handling and horsepower, 335 coupe.
If you want a great driver experience, but are happier just cruising around town without needing to really wring it out, 328 vert.
And MT is my preference either way.
dhc3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.