BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running protenza s-04 but they do ride hard. If I switch to drive guards (I need new tires) does anyone have experience with switching to drive guards? How much handling will I. Be giving up? I do live on the Sonoma coast, and while I like driving the curves on the coast, I am not punching the car too much (I am 70 after all). Any thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am running protenza s-04 but they do ride hard. If I switch to drive guards (I need new tires) does anyone have experience with switching to drive guards? How much handling will I. Be giving up? I do live on the Sonoma coast, and while I like driving the curves on the coast, I am not punching the car too much (I am 70 after all). Any thoughts or experience?
Not sure if you realize your posting about your 335i in the 1 series forum, but by coincidence I just switched from the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS 2's to Bridgestone Driveguards on my '13 128i convertible.

With about 700 miles on the Driveguards, they ride noticeably better and are perhaps the quietest tires I've every owned.

There are two components to handling I consider; traction and feel. With regard to traction, so far I cannot tell I've given up anything, indeed, my sense is traction level is somewhat higher. As for feel, again I consider a couple of different components to this; steering feel and cornering stability. To the latter first, cornering stability appears equal the Goodyears and is excellent. Steering feel also is equivalent with the exception of slightly lower on center feel. It's a small difference, perhaps on the order of magniture I might expect simply because the new tires have more tread.

Overall, I'm very pleased with them and that they cost about the same as a premium non-run flat tire is a nice benefit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driveguards on 330i

I second MotoWPKs comments on the Driveguards. I have the Sport package on my '06 330i, so there may be some differences. However, I was very tired on getting beat to death by the Potenzas, even though the car handled like it was on rails. However, it was a little darty in the centerline. The Driveguards are way better tires, in my opinion. Not so punishing, very quiet and almost no perceptible difference in handling (I suppose having the wider Sport wheels in the back might help). I don't feel every little defect in the road anymore. And the big plus--they are almost $300 less than the Potenzas and are supposed to last twice as long (my Potenzas were dead at 23,000 miles). Go for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Switched to Drive Guards

After asking the forum, I made the switch. The handling is probably 95 to 98 percent of the Potenzas, but what a difference. The ride is 100% better, the're quiet, the cost less and they will last longer. I find the handling on the Sonoma coast highway 1 to be just fine.

I am glad I switched... And my wife likes them better too (the ride).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.