BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo I just bought a 08 335i today with 90k miles on it... But it's in great shape, well I thought :/..... I was pullin out of a gas station and all of a sudden I hear a grinding noise coming from the hood and the steering wheel was really stiff. I'm thinking its the power steering anyone know what this might be?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Is the accessory belt still on the pulleys

Is the accessory belt still on the pulleys
Is there fluid in the power steering pump res.
If the accessory (serpentine belt is broke do not drive it
and inch further) if the belt breaks it can take out the
front main seal an bits of belt go into the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure bro there's no light that says check engine, or any light but I had it towed until I can have someone come look at it.. how much u think it'll cost me?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Now way to tell until its looked at.

Now way to tell until its looked at.
If its the belt and the belt tensioner and the seal is not broke
it could be fairly cheap . If its the seal it will be big bucks.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Thanks bro appreciate it. Hopefully it's just the belt ***128557;
If the belt slipped & shredded, there's [real danger] but if you stopped right away, prob safe.

However. [belt & tensioner] may need replacement. One never does belt w/o tensioner and that grinding may be a bad tensioner. Yes!

Look for an oil leak, from [valve cover gasket] or, with belt issue, more likely the [oil filter housing gasket] or [oil filter cap], which has a seal gotta be good....recent oil change?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly bought it like 4 hours before this happend... but the guy I bought it from said he had recently gotten an oil change, hopefully I'll know in the morning.. I'll post pics so you guys can keep me updated,

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the belt slipped & shredded, there's [real danger] but if you stopped right away, prob safe.

However. [belt & tensioner] may need replacement. One never does belt w/o tensioner and that grinding may be a bad tensioner. Yes!

Look for an oil leak, from [valve cover gasket] or, with belt issue, more likely the [oil filter housing gasket] or [oil filter cap], which has a seal gotta be good....recent oil change?
So I just had the car looked at and they said the tensioner got stuck and ripped the belt..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts