BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it crazy to get a 530i now? Just wondering on one's thoughts... Obviously the 335i can be had for less $$ with a better engine... has it made the 530 obsolete?

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I think that using BMWs past and some logic that there should be a 535 for model year 2008 and I think that is one reason why model year 2007 5s came out in March of '06....

So I think when model year 2008 5-series cars come out they will be....

528i/xi
535i/xi
535d/xd

-Plus I would deff wait because the 2008 5s will get the updated rear lights that will make the back more in line with now the family look of the the updated 7 and the 3 coupe...I like the longer lights better....plus there will be other updates to the car.....

Hope this helps you....Thank you.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
sbb said:
Is it crazy to get a 530i now? Just wondering on one's thoughts... Obviously the 335i can be had for less $$ with a better engine... has it made the 530 obsolete?
I always liked the 3 series better anyway, but the new, more powerful engines pretty much seal the deal.

Some people might prefer the 530i becasue it is bigger and more opulent, but quite frankly, they might as well embalm the 525i. Who would pay for it?

The 550i is in a different class altogether. Maybe the plan is to push the 5 series upscale. (i.e., drop the 525 and only sell the 530i and 550i). Plus, it looks like they may offer a 5 series diesel in'08 as well (but who really knows?).

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
dencoop said:
-Plus I would deff wait because the 2008 5s will get the updated rear lights that will make the back more in line with now the family look of the the updated 7 and the 3 coupe...
Where did you get this info? I'm curious...

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
adc - the 2008 model year change and the models thar are coming out have been confirmed by people from the e90post.com and our own E60 board.....I need to find the links and post then for you BUT be sure that they are very credible....you will see for your self once I find the links and post them......

-But even without the links anyone who has followed BMW knows that 2008 will be the year for updates to the 5 series.....

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
There is always something better. Manufactuers are always adding new features, etc. every model year. I suspect current engines will be more reliable than the 335 at least intially until all the bugs are worked out.

One thing for sure, whatever you buy, there will be something better a few months later.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
krash said:
Some people might prefer the 530i becasue it is bigger and more opulent,.
It's not that much bigger (granted the dimensions, which are very similar, are misleading because the 5er is bigger - but not as much as one would think) - but the 5er is definitely not more opulent. The interior is pretty much the same in both, although I find that a few of the details in the 3er are a bit more refined (after all, the 3er had the benefit of two additional years of finishing).

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The 5er is more opulent...you'd have to own a 5er and a 3er back to back to know this because it's minor things like the door sills and the trunk details....but the devil is in the details for luxury products. That said they both look nearly the same but they are not.

Now, the 335 vs the 530 is a no brainer if you want a fast sporty ride...the 335 wins that contest hands down. If you want a good cruiser/freeway car or you need more space for kids/cargo for long trips...the 5 might work better for you. They will handle VERY differently.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Marcus has some good points. There are a lot of factors to take in consideration.

In my case, since I have a family of 4, and I'm not that young anymore :), I would definetely take the 530

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
The 5er is more opulent...you'd have to own a 5er and a 3er back to back to know this because it's minor things like the door sills and the trunk details....but the devil is in the details for luxury products. That said they both look nearly the same but they are not.
I haven't owned a 5er for almost 2 years but I have spend a total of 8 weeks with two different 5ers in the past 3 months, driving them on a close to full-time basis both in the U.S. and Central Europe. I must confess, I didn't really look at trunk details but re the vehicle interior, I always found the fit and finish (incl. door sills) nicer in the 3er. Dash also, but they are very close. The gauges (to me) look more elegant in the 3er.

MARCUS330i said:
Now, the 335 vs the 530 is a no brainer if you want a fast sporty ride...the 335 wins that contest hands down. If you want a good cruiser/freeway car or you need more space for kids/cargo for long trips...the 5 might work better for you. They will handle VERY differently.
Quite correct on all counts.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
You could make the same comparison between the 525i and 330i.

I see a lot of 525s on the road. So clearly the engine isn't a deciding factor for some buyers.

Why pay more for a 525 when you could buy a 330i? To me, it makes no sense, but clearly some people don't feel that way.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 530i is a waste IMO. I would wait until BMW puts an engine in the thing that is going to last longer than 1 model year. The 530i is going on it's 3rd engine in three years. The 530i was underpowered from day one. BMW realized this and have been scurrying to put an engine in the thing worthy of a $55,000 "ultimate Driving Machine". I wouldn't get a 530i. How good is the resale going to be if they keep upgrading the engines every year?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
sbb said:
is the 530i that bad!!??? maybe get a 335i and wait it out
No the 530 is fine. The people on this board are just picky bitches. BMW sells over 100,000 5 series a year worldwide.

Pick a car and get on with life. Don't try to guess the future for it always changes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
chuck92103 said:
No the 530 is fine. The people on this board are just picky bitches. BMW sells over 100,000 5 series a year worldwide.
The 530i is an underpowered, overpriced, underperforming car. The car cost almost $60,000 and can get outrun by a Toyota Avalon. With the 530i you pay big $$ for performance, when what you actually get is performance akin to cars costing half as much. The Accords and Avalons of the world can accelerate faster than a car that claims to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine". What's sad is that the Toyota and Honda out accelerates the 530i and they (Toyota/Honda) aren't toting the cars as "performance cars". The $55,000 530i accelerates like any $25,000 (V-6) cookie cutter sedan. Spend your money anyway you want but the 530 is a Rip-off IMO.

Don't get me started on the 6-series which is a 5-series coupe that BMW is charging 7-series pricing for. The interior of the 6 series doesn't look like the interior of a $70,000 car. $35k maybe but not $70,000. The plastics in the 6-series interior appears to be of a cheaper quality than the 3-series! Compare the 7-series interior with the 6-series interior and you would think that you are looking at car interiors that are in two-different price ranges. Sad part is that they cost the same. There's a reason why BMW enjoys the Highest profit margin in the industry.

Sales don't mean didily. Pontiac sold plenty of Aztecs. And KIA sells millions of cars per year. At least Pontiac and Kia aren't charging $55,000 for $25,000 car performance.

Rant over.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Neither. Supercharged 330 ZHP blows em both away :)

Eh, I wish too much. :angel:

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Spoonie G said:
The $55,000 530i accelerates like any $25,000 (V-6) cookie cutter sedan. Spend your money anyway you want but the 530 is a Rip-off IMO.
The same can be said for the 325, did you know that? It has the same performance at $40,000 as a $20,000-25,000 sedan. Oh wait, what about the 330? Dang! it's the same rip-off... :cry:

The interior of the 6 series doesn't look like the interior of a $70,000 car. $35k maybe but not $70,000.
Again, that's the same with the interior of the 3 series. There are cars costing half as much with much better plastics (VW Jetta and Passat, namely). Even the Korean cars are beginning to have better interiors, never mind the Japanese ones.

And have you ever been in a contemporary Audi? Now those are classy, superb, hi quality interiors.

Thing is, nobody buys BMWs for the interiors. That has always been the case. :dunno: I for one fail to understand why they can't do better, especially with all that $$$ they spend on R&D and hi-price designers like Bangle - but it won't stop me from buying another BMW. I might have the occasional nightmare where all those flame surfaces completely incinerate my car, but what the heck... :)

There's a reason why BMW enjoys the Highest profit margin in the industry.
Not to nitpick, but I thought that was Porsche. :D Another car with subpar interiors...

Again, I'm just making conversation here. Nobody buys BMWs because they're performance or luxury bargains - in fact some of the mistique of the marque has always been the faint whiff of financial inaccessability, the relative exclusivity...

But I see your point with the 530... it *is* very expensive...

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Spoonie G said:
The 530i is an underpowered, overpriced, underperforming car. The car cost almost $60,000 and can get outrun by a Toyota Avalon. With the 530i you pay big $$ for performance, when what you actually get is performance akin to cars costing half as much. The Accords and Avalons of the world can accelerate faster than a car that claims to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine". What's sad is that the Toyota and Honda out accelerates the 530i and they (Toyota/Honda) aren't toting the cars as "performance cars". The $55,000 530i accelerates like any $25,000 (V-6) cookie cutter sedan. Spend your money anyway you want but the 530 is a Rip-off IMO.

Don't get me started on the 6-series which is a 5-series coupe that BMW is charging 7-series pricing for. The interior of the 6 series doesn't look like the interior of a $70,000 car. $35k maybe but not $70,000. The plastics in the 6-series interior appears to be of a cheaper quality than the 3-series! Compare the 7-series interior with the 6-series interior and you would think that you are looking at car interiors that are in two-different price ranges. Sad part is that they cost the same. There's a reason why BMW enjoys the Highest profit margin in the industry.

Sales don't mean didily. Pontiac sold plenty of Aztecs. And KIA sells millions of cars per year. At least Pontiac and Kia aren't charging $55,000 for $25,000 car performance.

Rant over.
I'm a huge BMW fan, but to me, is the biggest ripoff is the 525i. Talk about underpowered, overpriced, & underperforming...

·
Registered
304 Posts
krash said:
I'm a huge BMW fan, but to me, is the biggest ripoff is the 525i. Talk about underpowered, overpriced, & underperforming...
My sister has a 2005 525i. Off the line the car is a slow pig (read: inadequate). Any car can take the 525i off the line. I have to admit, once past 50mph the acceleration was better. Still slow but adequate. The 525i is a punk of a car power-wise.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts