BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i vs 650i convertible - handling/speed??

6286 8
To this point I've been looking at 2011 CPO 335i. for 10K more I can get a CPO 2009 650i. I currently have a 330Ci and love how responsive it is on the road. I know you guys are bias toward 650, but if anyone has had or driven the two, would you mind sharing your thoughts?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Two years ago when I was in the market for convertible I thought I wanted a hardtop vert, so I drove the IS350c, the G37s and the 335 (of course I liked the BMW best). The sales guy pointed out that for a few thousand more I could get the six so I drove it and really liked it. Although it felt slightly heavier the active roll stabilization kept it so flat and planted in the corners, and I was hooked. In
Atlanta where I live the six was running about $7k more than the 335 of the same year (both CPO). So I started researching and eventually found a six two hours up the road that was only $2k more and bought it.
So my advice is to be patient and you should be able to find a six somewhere that isn't much more than the 335. best of luck.
I think the 3 series is easier to throw around due to its lighter weight. The 6 series has a trunk, with the top down, if that is important to you? Older cars have more problems but I would get the 6, even with my bias..
You should test drive both to see, the 3 is smaller and will probably feel quicker. The 6 is also quick but uses a bigger engine and torque to get you there, so probably would not feel as "snappy".

The 6 is way better in the luxury dept. Not to mention you will see a lot less of the 6 on the road than a 3 series...193,000 in total 3 sales to 10,000 for the 6/M6 body style...

Good points about uniqueness
And the trunk. I like to go golfing with the top down and the golf bag neatly fits in the trunk but forget about putting much of anything in the 335 trunk with the top down.
That's what the backseat in the 335 is for, because it's worthless for anything else.
And the trunk. I like to go golfing with the top down and the golf bag neatly fits in the trunk but forget about putting much of anything in the 335 trunk with the top down.
The rear seats in the 6 are even worse than the 335. Only put adults you don't like back there and be prepared to have your knees jammed into the dashboard if someone sits behind the driver.

I would take a 650i over the 335i if I had the choice.

If you get a 6 with sport package and dynamic drive (active roll bars) it will handle better than most people can drive - like Greg said it's absolutely flat in the corners despite the 4,300 lbs.

I have driven plenty of 335s and they very close in straight line speed when stock but if you add a juicebox tune to the 335 it will smoke the 650i.

I had a 330Ci and still have an e46 M3. I always though a 6er would be too big and heavy for me until I took one for a test drive. I was blown away at how well it cornered. Now when I take the M3 out after a few weeks of daily driving the 6er the 3 feels like a tin-can-Honda in comparison to the solid tank-like feeling you get in the 6.
Yorgi's comments are right on the money. I just went from an e46 M3 convertible to a 645 convertible and couldn't agree more with his comments.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.